The Student Room Group

Programming coursework?

In my coursework, for programming I have used website to help me. In my references, I've listed each question with the website address that I've used. So the lecturer marking it knows it's not 100% all my work and I won't be disregarded as cheating.

Is this okay to do? I haven't copied the programming word to word, I've used it to help me.
Reply 1
No, that's not ok. It's fine to learn from a website, but just copying it down and changing a few elements doesn't make it not plagiarism just because you gave a link to the website.
The main use of websites for programming is to learn aspects of the programming language such as predefined Classes and Namespaces. The actual problem-solving has to be done by you.
Reply 3
Original post by Luneth
No, that's not ok. It's fine to learn from a website, but just copying it down and changing a few elements doesn't make it not plagiarism just because you gave a link to the website.

I mean I've used the way they've done it to help me, but it's not exactly the same.
Original post by Anonymous
I mean I've used the way they've done it to help me, but it's not exactly the same.

Are you learning HTML, CSS and Javascript?
Reply 5
I've used website for two questions out of 15, as I've finished the rest. I was just really stuck :frown: I guess I'll leave it out then.

I didn't copy the code from word to word. I've tried to implement it in a different way using my method.
Reply 6
In the coursework brief, it does say to explicitly reference where the work isn't mine etc. So that's why I assumed references were allowed.

I can take a picture and post it if you'd like.
In the coursework brief, it does say to explicitly reference where the work isn't mine etc. So that's why I assumed references were allowed.

Private message me with the questions and I will help you the right way.

I have lots of experience in programming.

James
Reply 8
Original post by jameshburton
Are you learning HTML, CSS and Javascript?

Python
Reply 9

Well let's put it this way, if you used someone else's code, why should I give you any marks for it? I think that note is more for if you used images or text that isn't yours.
Original post by Luneth
Well let's put it this way, if you used someone else's code, why should I give you any marks for it? I think that note is more for if you used images or text that isn't yours.

That's why I'm even more confused, because in the coursework brief it says references are allowed. I've only used references for two questions, but I think I'll ask my lecturer for clarification.
Original post by Luneth

We're not allowed to use images or screenshots, she just wants the code and nothing else.
Original post by Luneth

I've emailed my lecturer to ask if we can use references to be on the safe side. Were not allowed to use images. But we shall see what she says.
Reply 13
What is important is whether you understand the code or not. Programmers will often look at other peoples code for help but you don't use it without understanding it, you must always understand how your code works.
(edited 7 years ago)
What if you used someone code but actually changed key parts of the code e.g. if they had an interface, copying parts of their interface and changing how the components interact with each other and changing the actual GUI.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending