The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Honours business management

New to the forum today so im not sure if this is the right place, so you will have to excuse me if it is not.
So ive registered to start the BusMan course with the Open University starting in Feb 2017.
It's been a while since I've studied (5 year's) and have a young family + work.
I am planning to start part time study but progress onto full time in the future, what can i expect from the BA honours business management course? What do you cover on the course and how are you finding it?
I would like to think im intelligent and i am definetely a fast learner so i hope i dont have any issues, I'm just abit nervous and want to succeed.
Searching online just brings up university adverts with not much in the way of structure & topics.
Thankyou in advance and i can't wait to start using the forum more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mhowden62395
New to the forum today so im not sure if this is the right place, so you will have to excuse me if it is not.
So ive registered to start the BusMan course with the Open University starting in Feb 2017.
It's been a while since I've studied (5 year's) and have a young family + work.
I am planning to start part time study but progress onto full time in the future, what can i expect from the BA honours business management course? What do you cover on the course and how are you finding it?
I would like to think im intelligent and i am definetely a fast learner so i hope i dont have any issues, I'm just abit nervous and want to succeed.
Searching online just brings up university adverts with not much in the way of structure & topics.
Thankyou in advance and i can't wait to start using the forum more

Best of luck to you. If i were you id make sure you prepare by reading up on harvard referencing as it normally accounts for a good percentage of your mark. There is normally a recommended reading list in your course materials. Give those a read as well
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by stephenb1608
Best of luck to you. If i were you id make sure you prepare by reading up on harvard referencing as it normally accounts for a good percentage of your mark. There is normally a recommended reading list in your course materials. Give those a read as well

I remember touching upon referencing previously but nothing in depth so ill make sure i get on it straight away so im comfortable with it by the start of the course
I remember touching upon referencing previously but nothing in depth so ill make sure i get on it straight away so im comfortable with it by the start of the course

You should. Referencing is always marked and normally accounts for anywhere from 10 to 15% of your mark. Think of it as a buffer zone. Do you know your modules.?
Original post by stephenb1608
You should. Referencing is always marked and normally accounts for anywhere from 10 to 15% of your mark. Think of it as a buffer zone. Do you know your modules.?

Not yet, when i registered it matches another account they already have on system and it will take up to thursday for them to rectify the issue, as soon as that is sorted then i will know. From what ive gleaned so far the compulsory B100 introduction to business management will be first, then after that i will probably like to keep a broad approach to the subject to keep my options open.
Thankyou for your help also
Reply 5
I'm in the same boat as you, I registered for the OU Business Management course (Higher Diploma) for Feb '17, well the first module 'Introduction to Business Management' anyway and am yet to find any real detials as to the particulars of the module assignments. Have you been doing any prior reading from any books yet?
Original post by Casper30
I'm in the same boat as you, I registered for the OU Business Management course (Higher Diploma) for Feb '17, well the first module 'Introduction to Business Management' anyway and am yet to find any real detials as to the particulars of the module assignments. Have you been doing any prior reading from any books yet?

Im in the same boat! Just got my SFE loan approved so im set and ready but don't get the course study materials until after the 6th of January so i will start reading then.
Have you been confirmed yet?
Reply 7
Hello, I'm also due to start my degree in February, going to be starting an open degree with my first module in Business and Management. Excited but a bit nervous and also wanting to know a bit more about anything I may need to do/ read up on before my materials arrive and the first module starts!
Original post by TashaG
Hello, I'm also due to start my degree in February, going to be starting an open degree with my first module in Business and Management. Excited but a bit nervous and also wanting to know a bit more about anything I may need to do/ read up on before my materials arrive and the first module starts!

I have no idea what to read up on yet, all i could suggest to others is to start familiarising yourself with how your assesments are expected to be done etc and get into the world of business, maybe read a business paper/magazine regularly?
I think us guys starting the BusMan course in feb should all keep in touch though to help each other out!
Reply 9
Im in the same boat! Just got my SFE loan approved so im set and ready but don't get the course study materials until after the 6th of January so i will start reading then.
Have you been confirmed yet?

I haven't had the email yet that allows me to start picking modules. How did you get the SFE loan, I went on the site earlier and it says you can only apply for 2016 and not 2017..? I'm using learning credits I got from the forces to pay for half and the other half I'm trying to get a loan for.

I bought a Business for Highers with Marketing book from Amazon for £0.01 (£2.50 P&P) after being recommended it as a good start if you're undertaking BusMan, it's for HNC/HND but it'll cover what you need for the start.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
@She-Ra could this be moved into the Open University forum? Can't do it myself. :colondollar:
I haven't had the email yet that allows me to start picking modules. How did you get the SFE loan, I went on the site earlier and it says you can only apply for 2016 and not 2017..? I'm using learning credits I got from the forces to pay for half and the other half I'm trying to get a loan for.

I bought a Business for Highers with Marketing book from Amazon for £0.01 (£2.50 P&P) after being recommended it as a good start if you're undertaking BusMan, it's for HNC/HND but it'll cover what you need for the start.

I'll take a look at that definetely! and the study year is 2016/2017 for the finance because it starts before the 2017 government academic year
All done :smile:

Original post by Airmed
@She-Ra could this be moved into the Open University forum? Can't do it myself. :colondollar:
Reply 13
I'll take a look at that definetely! and the study year is 2016/2017 for the finance because it starts before the 2017 government academic year

Yeah I've sorted it now and applied. Still haven't received the email to confirm my modules though..

What ones have you picked?
Yeah I've sorted it now and applied. Still haven't received the email to confirm my modules though..

What ones have you picked?

Just the b100 so far, introduction to business management, it gives me a year to do the first part and get used to study again, then after this module I'll probably do the course full time
I am planning on starting an Open Degree with B100 in October 2017. When will this be available to apply for, on the Open University site?
I've just registered for this aswell, cant wait to get started! Just waiting on the loan to come through but shouldnt be a problem, I'm also going for the February start but not really finding many details, will these be available after the 5th Jan? Starting with the B100 module as well, and I do agree we should keep in touch, motivation is much needed when you are studying alone! So, nice to meet you all, Im Kyle :smile:
Original post by kylestrike10
I've just registered for this aswell, cant wait to get started! Just waiting on the loan to come through but shouldnt be a problem, I'm also going for the February start but not really finding many details, will these be available after the 5th Jan? Starting with the B100 module as well, and I do agree we should keep in touch, motivation is much needed when you are studying alone! So, nice to meet you all, Im Kyle :smile:

Good luck, as mentioned above i think i ordered a business for highers book, 600 page and its quite good, i ordered it to get me into the right mindset and prepared to start. it was suggested by another member, I'm rather looking forward to the course!
Good luck, as mentioned above i think i ordered a business for highers book, 600 page and its quite good, i ordered it to get me into the right mindset and prepared to start. it was suggested by another member, I'm rather looking forward to the course!

Yeah i've just been looking at that and some others on amazon, I also found it for a penny so i've just ordered it, thanks for that info :smile: its 9 years since I left education but I didnt particularly want to do an access course, just get stuck in from the off. What is it that you are currently doing for work if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by kylestrike10
Yeah i've just been looking at that and some others on amazon, I also found it for a penny so i've just ordered it, thanks for that info :smile: its 9 years since I left education but I didnt particularly want to do an access course, just get stuck in from the off. What is it that you are currently doing for work if you dont mind me asking?

Previously a chef, but due to time I've gone back to sales, i was previously a store manager for a small chain. really looking to concentrate on study more though

Quick Reply

Latest