The Student Room Group

English Literature or business

I'm changing one of my a levels (maths) and I'm stuck in what to do instead, it's out of English Literature and Business.

At first I was going to do business, but upon talking to teachers, the business teacher has tried to put me off doing it, whereas the English teacher really wants me to do English (he is also my head of 6th form).

I've never been the strongest of Essay writers, though I do enjoy reading. But I thought that I'd be better at business as I enjoy that kind of thing.

My other subjects are Biology and Psychology, and I'll be doing core maths AS.

So what do you guys think I should do? (Also, I have no idea what I want to do in the future, maybe forensic psychology)
Literature is a wonderful subject. It's a facilitating A Level, meaning that universities really love it, especially if you maybe go on to do something English/humanities based at university!
Biased because I do it, but I really enjoy it. Great if you love reading, but as for the essay writing skills, those are something you will come to develop, trust me.

Business is classed as a softer subject. Universities aren't that bothered, and if that's not something that you care about then it's no problem! The only reason I bother to consider these things is because if you're still not certain about what you wanna do at university, it keeps your options open.
You don't necessarily need business A Level to do it at university, but you would need literature at a level to do a literature degree.

The bottom line is, do what you prefer. If you think you'd like business more then go for that, but if you're totally stuck, I'd say go for lit as it will keep your options open.
Reply 2
Original post by brxvebird

The bottom line is, do what you prefer. If you think you'd like business more then go for that, but if you're totally stuck, I'd say go for lit as it will keep your options open.

Thank you! That was definitely really helpful. I think the way both sets of teachers were talking to me has definitely swayed my decision towards English, as the other teacher didn't appear to have much faith in me, especially since I didn't do business at GCSE.

I know that I like helping people and working with people, and so that's something I'd quite like to do in the future

All of my friends that do English really like it, and have all offered to help me, so that's really nice of them.

I have to make my decision by Monday. If I do opt for English, what suggestions would you have for catching up, and what would be the best way to revise?

I'm not sure of the exam board, but the class are doing Othello and The Kite Runner at the moment.
Reply 3
Does anybody currently do English Literature as this is what I'm swaying towards
Original post by chloecrazy
Thank you! That was definitely really helpful. I think the way both sets of teachers were talking to me has definitely swayed my decision towards English, as the other teacher didn't appear to have much faith in me, especially since I didn't do business at GCSE.

I know that I like helping people and working with people, and so that's something I'd quite like to do in the future

All of my friends that do English really like it, and have all offered to help me, so that's really nice of them.

I have to make my decision by Monday. If I do opt for English, what suggestions would you have for catching up, and what would be the best way to revise?

I'm not sure of the exam board, but the class are doing Othello and The Kite Runner at the moment.

Catching up will be hard but it is doable. Just ask for as many resources from the lecturer that you can get your hands on, and constantly practice practice practice. My best way is to do exam questions, either full form or mind map plans of them, it definitely helps. Websites like spark notes and shmoop are super useful too!

I do Literature currently as well and we are doing othello, so if you have any other questions about anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Reply 5
Original post by brxvebird
Catching up will be hard but it is doable.

Thank you! Are you enjoying othello at the moment?

Quick Reply

Latest