The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City, Univerity of London or Brunel?

I've currently applied to City and Brunel to study Economics. League tables aside, which is better from Economics and what is the overall Uni experience like for either (social life, accomodation, lecturers and especially sports!!). Would be great to hear from students that attend either or chose one over the other. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by LongLive5
I've currently applied to City and Brunel to study Economics. League tables aside, which is better from Economics and what is the overall Uni experience like for either (social life, accomodation, lecturers and especially sports!!). Would be great to hear from students that attend either or chose one over the other. Thanks!

I studied at City and at one point I was considering switching to Brunel. My UCAS application was ready to be sent, but I decided against it and stayed at City. It was a good decision because I got good support regarding my CV and job applications and are one of the best in the country for their placements. I couldn't tell you much about Brunel though, but the social life at City has improved over the years (it used to be terrible) and there are lots of sports available such as American Football, football, badminton, cheerleading, basketball, etc..
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
I studied at City and at one point I was considering switching to Brunel. My UCAS application was ready to be sent, but I decided against it and stayed at City. It was a good decision because I got good support regarding my CV and job applications and are one of the best in the country for their placements. I couldn't tell you much about Brunel though, but the social life at City has improved over the years (it used to be terrible) and there are lots of sports available such as American Football, football, badminton, cheerleading, basketball, etc..

If you dont mind me asking, why were you considering switching? I've heard very good things about the placements and Economics course at City but preferably want my university to offer me more than just a degree (campus-like experience if possible, good social life, sports teams etc). Bearing in mind City only has one building for their sporting activities (CitySport), is sport not highly emphasised by the University?
Reply 3
Original post by LongLive5
If you dont mind me asking, why were you considering switching? I've heard very good things about the placements and Economics course at City but preferably want my university to offer me more than just a degree (campus-like experience if possible, good social life, sports teams etc). Bearing in mind City only has one building for their sporting activities (CitySport), is sport not highly emphasised by the University?

I'm not going to lie, the social aspect of the uni was terrible. It did improve so don't let me put you off moving :smile: Remember this was like 4 years ago (I'm a graduate now so I know a lot about the university). CitySport do have a lot of sports clubs though and their building is multi-facility and is really nice (I played indoor football). If I could be honest with you, I think the social side is probably not as good as Brunel, but the placement opportunities outweigh that in my opinion. I now have a graduate job at a top UK company because of it :smile: I think that's worth more than missing out on social activities, which you can always do with your friends by yourselves.
Reply 4
Hi!
I`ve actually been to Brunel (for a year) and then to City for Economics

Unfortunately I really struggled with the maths module for Economics at Brunel as I hadnt done A-Level maths and they didnt give much support so I ended up failing that module and thus failing the year and being asked to withdraw! But please dont let me scare you, Brunel is a great uni, I just struggled because of my lack of A-Level maths.

I actually took a year out and reapplied to Brunel (and also City-Didnt apply to City the first time because they asked for A-Level maths but thankfully when I applied after failing at Brunel they werent! I even got an offer from Brunel again but I ended up liking City more because of convenience (Brunel is 2 hours away from me, City is an hour) plus I really liked the fact that so many employers come to City (In the first term, I met EY, Deloitte, PWC, Sky and so much more). Plus City gives me a lot of better support for maths, which I really needed!

They`re both great unis, please dont base on the rankings, go visit them and see how you feel about it yourself (I know everyone says this but you genuinely can tell whether you like it when you visit it!)

Please feel free to ask me ANY questions about Brunel or City!

I was deciding between Brunel and City when I was applying for Uni again and was looking for this kinda support! Glad I can help others though!
Reply 5
City is a much better location. I went to Brunel, regretted every single moment. Brunel university was terrible in location and in teaching standards, course delivery.
i live 15 minutes from brunel. london is so overrated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending