The Student Room Group

More than 2 genders - why?

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of things concerning 'Don't assume my gender' or 'I identify as ...'
From what I understand, you have males and females (with the very rare exception of intersex chromosome combinations like XXY etc.) and you can be transgender if you change your gender physically (and not necessarily by just saying so), but I think people are getting confused with biological gender and gender roles.. or so I think.

Another thing I don't understand is how people say that you can be genderless as a gender. Logically, that doesn't make sense. That's like saying that atheism is a religion.

I need some light on this topic as I don't understand how people are suddenly coming up with 'Oh I'm now this gender that isn't male or female'. It just doesn't make sense.

Scroll to see replies

It's what happens when silly people who have too much time on their hands in college or a HR type job and want to look like a do-gooder.

There are only 2 genders, anyone who says differently is either confused or just stupid.
Original post by Fractite
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of things concerning 'Don't assume my gender' or 'I identify as ...'
From what I understand, you have males and females (with the very rare exception of intersex chromosome combinations like XXY etc.) and you can be transgender if you change your gender physically (and not necessarily by just saying so), but I think people are getting confused with biological gender and gender roles.. or so I think.

Another thing I don't understand is how people say that you can be genderless as a gender. Logically, that doesn't make sense. That's like saying that atheism is a religion.

I need some light on this topic as I don't understand how people are suddenly coming up with 'Oh I'm now this gender that isn't male or female'. It just doesn't make sense.

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/03/the-genderbread-person-v2-0/#sthash.XoW00W1P.dpbs might help you understand this more - clicking through to the earlier versions shows how the creators understanding and thinking around gender have developed from the early version (this one: http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/01/the-genderbread-person/#sthash.1FFzaFWq.dpbs ) to the current diagram.
i've heard so much ppl say: "Are u assuming my gender now?":s-smilie:
Dw there are only two genders. People just want to feel special by saying otherwise.
Reply 5
Ignore the special snowflakes
This idea of multiple genders comes from feminism particularly what this ideology refers to as 'Gender Theory'. In this country feminist ideas on gender have only recently been introduced to people through the media and the law. In sweden they have had this issue going on for over 30 years.

RT did a documentary about Sweden's gender issues (called 'Gender Wars' ) recently in which a feminist nursery school teacher talked about what they teach their students about love and gender....in one of the clips she tells the journalist that they teach students that its ok to love similar genders and to love opposite genders and to love animals....animals!!! I kid you not!...Sweden is probably one of the worst countries in europe so far as feminism is concerned....

Feminists actually tried to impose their gender policies in schools in France recently but it backfired badly....millions of people came out to demonstrate in the streets of france against feminism and its gender theory...that quickly shut them up in that regard and sent them crawling back into their holes.

france-demonstrations-family-values.si.jpg
(placard from the French demonstrations reading "NO TO GENDER THEORY" )

...here in the UK if people allow this contradictory warped ideology to take root and impose its will on people, twenty years from now, we will become like Sweden teaching children in our nursery schools that its OK to marry animals....
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll give someone my right arm if they manage to tell me every new gender and sexuality, and if they can explain what the hell each means
People want to be special. So they invent genders and pronouns and all that silly **** to make themselves feel special.
there are infinite genders and you are whatever you say you are! anyone who says otherwise is queerphobic!!
The amount of ignorance on display here is amazing
Please refer to me as 'Your Majesty' from now on; He/she are offensive.
Reply 12
Original post by Aceadria

Please refer to me as "Class 153 Diesel Locomotive 5232" as I am an agender, asexual train.
Thank you
Reply 13
Original post by Aceadria

But I'm also species-fluid so now please refer to me as Arlo, the gender-non-conforming but somehow homosexual anthropomorphic arctic-fox-wolf hybrid.
Original post by AshEntropy
Please refer to me as "Class 153 Diesel Locomotive 5232" as I am an agender, asexual train.
Thank you

:rofl: PRSOM
Reply 15
Hahahah I like having a good laugh on these threads every one in a while :colondollar:
Hahahah I like having a good laugh on these threads every one in a while :colondollar:

Please refer to me as The Honorable One or face the consequences. :unimpressed:

:biggrin: Troll alert :wink: joke
Original post by Fractite

You are right that a lot of it is more due to the fact that people have a problem with gender roles, therefore they make new genders up. This is pretty much like how there is a stigma around bisexuality, so a lot of bisexuals are now doing the whole 'I'm not a bisexual, I don't want a label' thing or just call themselves queer.

When people say they are genderless, they are basically just saying that they are neither nor female. This is not true, everyone made of both male and female, but to different degrees and an infinite amount of forms, everyone is different. Male and female are not really opposites of each other. So it would be more accurate for 'genderless' people to just say that they are genderqueer or something along those lines, but it's weird how some people claim to be OUTSIDE of male/female now, as NOBODY is.

As I said, everyone's gender identity is different but that doesn't mean that we need a label for every single person. There's already what, 30 genders made up by Tumblr? We can't possibly remember or put on an official form all 1000+ genders that people will inevitably make up. This tumblr-identity war has gone way too far. I think times where better when we just had female, male, intersex, genderqueer and not much else.

I wouldn't really be concerned about the 'don't assume my gender' people (lol), it's just a part of the bored tumblr-kid culture and you can just ignore it. Nobody worth 10 cents would be offended just because you assumed they were male or female or whatever. I am a female and look like a female but it wouldn't even bother me if someone thought I was male, I mean it isn't offensive to be called a male, is it? Lol.
Original post by tamil fever
i've heard so much ppl say: "Are u assuming my gender now?":s-smilie:

Did that happen offline though? I can't imagine that happening offline, I would laugh so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending