The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiera28
Hi. I've applied for Psychology (application received 16th November) and haven't heard anything from St. Andrews. Received offers s from all 4 of my other choices, but am yet to find a 'home' Psychology applicant who's heard!!

Exact same predicament (got my 4 other offers too) but for Physics as an RUK applicant. I'm starting to getting quite anxious and worried as St Andrews is probably my top choice so getting a rejection would end me haha
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 341
Most subject at St Andrews wait until after Jan 15th before they decide on any offers at all to EU (including UK) students. That way they can be sure to be fair to everyone who applies by that deadline. Non-EU applicants are handled separately, and there are a few subjects that make a few EU offers early.
Reply 342
Original post by spark99
Yup, a Korean living in China :smile: I applied for Computer Science with 42/45 Prediction on IB. [7s in Math HL, Physics HL, and Chinese Ab Initio, 6s in Music SL, Economics HL, and English SL]

Similar situation here, half Korean waiting for a St Andrews response. Applied for Mathematics
Original post by augusta_t
Well St Andrews is all we have in common uni wise! Eh who cares about Oxford 😂. I have applied to Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton! I have never been to St. Andrews before, but my mum did, and she loved it! If I get an offer I am going to go and visit! I probably won't find out until January though!

I had to decide between Exeter and St A. I liked that you could study what you want at St A.

I've never been to Scotland lol, so don't worry!!

Yeah I'm hoping to go up for the March visit day.

Ahhh you never know! I was expecting to have to wait until Jan/Feb/March and I've heard back already ☺️
So fingers X for you!
Original post by tyunnos
I had to decide between Exeter and St A. I liked that you could study what you want at St A.

I've never been to Scotland lol, so don't worry!!

Yeah I'm hoping to go up for the March visit day.

Ahhh you never know! I was expecting to have to wait until Jan/Feb/March and I've heard back already ☺️
So fingers X for you!

Haha thank you! I have never been to Scotland either :u:
Course Applying: Astrophysics
Advanced Higher subjects: Physics and Maths
Higher grades: AAABB + A (Predicted in Chemistry this year)
Advanced Higher predicted: AB
Extra-curriculars:Work as a tutor for music with kids, some drama, Bronze DofE, Young Enterprise Pass, Sports Leadership Award, Level 1 Rugby Referee SRU.
Mitigating Circumstance: Inside Spoiler

Spoiler

Other unis applied to: Glasgow (Unconditional), Edinburgh (Referred), and Dundee (Referred)

St Andrews isn't looking likely pour moi unfortunately so I'll probs end up at Glasgow but I am desperate ^_^
Any applicants from Texas receive a decision yet? If so, when did you submit application? 🙂
Original post by DarkEnergy
Exact same predicament (got my 4 other offers too) but for Physics as an RUK applicant. I'm starting to getting quite anxious and worried as St Andrews is probably my top choice so getting a rejection would end me haha

My offer came on the 7th of December, so yours might be on its way :tongue: Although a lot of people had to wait until after the January deadline.
Original post by ombtom
My offer came on the 7th of December, so yours might be on its way :tongue: Although a lot of people had to wait until after the January deadline.

If you don't mind me asking mate what were your predicted grades?
If you don't mind me asking mate what were your predicted grades?

I think I was in the same predicament as you for the issue with the predicted grades although I'm not trying to study physics, I'm guessing it's astrophysics?

If you don't mind me asking is St Andrews your first choice?
Further inquiry sorry, where are you currently situated? :smile:
Original post by soccermom39
If you don't mind me asking is St Andrews your first choice?
Further inquiry sorry, where are you currently situated? :smile:

You're fine to ask :smile: Out of the offers I've received, UCL is my first choice, but if I got an offer from St Andrews it'd be hard to choose between the two. So I guess I can't really say as of now, as I haven't visited either university.

I'm currently situated in the North of England.
You're fine to ask :smile: Out of the offers I've received, UCL is my first choice, but if I got an offer from St Andrews it'd be hard to choose between the two. So I guess I can't really say as of now, as I haven't visited either university.

I'm currently situated in the North of England.

I've been, it's very chill and quaint. Wouldn't mind spending 4 years or so there haha.
I live in the North East, but it still takes a while to get there; almost 4 hours.

But I say you should visit both if you can. I can only assume, however, that the main influences on your choice will be cost and rep? (Idk the variations of physics/ astrophysics courses)
I've been, it's very chill and quaint. Wouldn't mind spending 4 years or so there haha.
I live in the North East, but it still takes a while to get there; almost 4 hours.

But I say you should visit both if you can. I can only assume, however, that the main influences on your choice will be cost and rep? (Idk the variations of physics/ astrophysics courses)

Ohh! I'm also from the North East (~20 mins from Durham). Did you take the train?

I'll visit if I get invited to a post-offer day, otherwise I don't want to accidentally fall in love with the place only to get rejected haha.
Ohh! I'm also from the North East (~20 mins from Durham). Did you take the train?

I'll visit if I get invited to a post-offer day, otherwise I don't want to accidentally fall in love with the place only to get rejected haha.

Yeah, the train then the bus from Leuchars to the St 's bus stop.
I kinda got stranded on my way back because the bus(s) was delayed so I missed my train aha.

Good idea
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, the train then the bus from Leuchars to the St 's bus stop.
I kinda got stranded on my way back because the bus(s) was delayed so I missed my train aha.

Good idea

Ah, how much did it cost? Did you go from Newcastle train station?

BTW I assumed from your name you were the mother of an American applicant lol..
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, how much did it cost? Did you go from Newcastle train station?

BTW I assumed from your name you were the mother of an American applicant lol..

Yep that's the one!

it was around £50-£60 I think.

Oh no hahaha, someone just said I was like a soccer mom so I just went with it aha
Yep that's the one!

it was around £50-£60 I think.

Oh no hahaha, someone just said I was like a soccer mom so I just went with it aha

Thank you, haha.
Ah, how much did it cost? Did you go from Newcastle train station? BTW I assumed from your name you were the mother of an American applicant lol..
Awh guys you're lucky to live "close" 😂 4 hours would be an alright distance for uni! It's 9/10 hours for me by train. Plane is quicker! Are your parents worried about the distance or cost?
Original post by tyunnos
Awh guys you're lucky to live "close" 😂 4 hours would be an alright distance for uni! It's 9/10 hours for me by train. Plane is quicker! Are your parents worried about the distance or cost?

Haha, what airport would you go to?
They're not really worried as it would give me a chance to become more 'independent', and going by train won't be that expensive especially with my railcard.
For Non - scottish and International students, I will try to explain things.

MAs at the "Ancient" Scottish Universities = StA, Aberdeen, Glasgow. Edinburgh and Dundee all have MAs for their art degrees. I seems to be a quirk with the scottish system as our degrees are 4 years as opposed to the English 3 years, our 1st year is akin to A - levels.

Integrated masters like MEng, MChem, and MPhys are 5 years due to the extra year of the courses up here. You follow the course the same as BSc counterparts for the first three years, then your last two years focus on the masters aspect. Another odd quirk with an ancient uni is the designated degrees. When at these universities, you can leave these unis with a 3 year degree as a stand alone degree.

Hope this helps
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending