The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jay191
I work in ISBC and this is based on my experience.

There is pressure as a caseworker, whether there is more or less than your current job is something I cannot comment on obviously. You are always pressed for time to get things done and as soon as you clear one case you'll get another (or two). However, if you are fortunate to have flexi (which I think most people will) you can work longer or less as long as you stay within the 22 hours limits. You can also take annual leave when you want, unless there is a business need to reject your request but I haven't heard of this happening in the 18 months I've been a caseworker. You also get extra holidays like privilege day and can take flexi leave as well (though this is subject to approval from your line manager). You can also take lunch when you want (i.e. you're not told to have lunch between 12-1) and there are usually team bonding events like bowling depending on your team.

Downside is you won't get pay rises like in the private sector obviously. The job is ideal if you have a family and don't have major financial concerns/goals (e.g. saving for a deposit to buy a property in, for example, London). Another downside is you can have a lot (and I mean a lot) to read and remember like internal guidance, legislation, public notices, etc, although this does get easier as you gain more experience and become more familiar with the tax you're specializing in.

This is really helpful and informative, thanks!
Original post by Husk24
I received my start date for my HO job which is on 3rd January 2017 😜, this was an internal trawl for Leeds.

I am also waiting for results for this external position, anybody else still waiting to hear for Leeds?

I will be withdrawing this so hopefully someone else can be offered, but just waiting for the outcome.

I'm one of the external candidates for Leeds vacancies. I got my standard "you have passed the interview" email today.

Glad to hear you have a start date already!
Did anyone else in Belfast get the 'you have passed the interview' email earlier this week?
Original post by theduffman82
Did anyone else in Belfast get the 'you have passed the interview' email earlier this week?

Yes mate, Monday evening about 6pm the email came through for me. Basically saying the generic passed interview and await further information.

I work in the civil service and 2 of my colleagues are actually waiting on a start date for HMRC from the previous recruitment. I would think a March/April start date if we were made offers would be realistic.
Original post by hco786
congrats bristol guys what was the time duration between the 1st and most recent email

I got the email telling me that I had passed my interview Monday evening and the provisional offer Friday afternoon...... so 4 days.
Original post by Husk24
I received my start date for my HO job which is on 3rd January 2017 😜, this was an internal trawl for Leeds.

I am also waiting for results for this external position, anybody else still waiting to hear for Leeds?

I will be withdrawing this so hopefully someone else can be offered, but just waiting for the outcome.

Which office in Leeds? If it's Castle House I've no idea where there would be room to put everyone as it's at near capacity.

I heard a large group of new starters turned up to castle house on Monday. Management panicked not knowing where to put everybody so now they've been told they'll work from Peter Bennett House instead.
Being a little optimistic here, but if I do get a provisional offer does anyone know much about the pre employment checks?

Do they contact the previous employer directly or do they use other means to verify employment? My current employer doesn't know I'm looking for work and I'd rather speak to my boss directly if there's a likelihood that they'll be contacted by Manpower.

Any ideas?
Original post by BrumGirl
Being a little optimistic here, but if I do get a provisional offer does anyone know much about the pre employment checks?

Do they contact the previous employer directly or do they use other means to verify employment? My current employer doesn't know I'm looking for work and I'd rather speak to my boss directly if there's a likelihood that they'll be contacted by Manpower.

Any ideas?

They can check your PAYE records on internal systems to verify your employment history.

I think they only contact your employer if there are gaps in your employment history or their records don't match with what you've stated.
This is more of a question for the internal candidates. Just looking for thoughts on how an HEO is looked at internally. I.e are they looked at as the office junior/tea maker/general dogs body? I guess I'm just nervous as I've been with my current employer for 13 years so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by leaving etc
Reply 1189
How can heo be looked as a tea maker are you kiddin me what kind of a silly question is that
Original post by hco786
How can heo be looked as a tea maker are you kiddin me what kind of a silly question is that

Ok remove tea maker lol 😜
Reply 1191
Lol did u get the prov offer
I did
Original post by pukahontas
They can check your PAYE records on internal systems to verify your employment history.

I think they only contact your employer if there are gaps in your employment history or their records don't match with what you've stated.

Good stuff. I hoped as much. I've been with my current employer for the last six years. Hopefully they don't need to go further back than that, as my employment history was pretty sketchy back then!
Original post by Steveey954
This is more of a question for the internal candidates. Just looking for thoughts on how an HEO is looked at internally. I.e are they looked at as the office junior/tea maker/general dogs body? I guess I'm just nervous as I've been with my current employer for 13 years so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by leaving etc

HEO and SEO are middle management grades.

Working down this list from junior to most senior it goes:

AA
AO
EO
HEO
SEO
Grade 7
Grade 6
SCS1
SCS2
SCS3

SCS being senior civil service.
HEO grade is very much of 'high' grade in a compliance environment . If your in management at HEO grade then you are like a regional manager, your incharge of 8-10 front line managers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1196
definately not a tea maker then lol how did u get a prov offer hahahaha
Reply 1197
A friend is still waiting for his result from Cardiff.

Has anyone received a negative result from an interview in Cardiff?

Is anyone else still waiting for a response from an interview in Cardiff?
Original post by hco786
definately not a tea maker then lol how did u get a prov offer hahahaha

Now now be nice! Off to your room no dinner for you 😙
Reply 1199
lol see its even more suprising from ur silly ques and comments lol

Latest