The Student Room Group

Does this diet look healthy to you?.

Basically I want to start eating healthy and also start working out.
So I have devised a healthy diet for me.
It's 0 processed food, 0 addded sugar and 0 added salt.
It's divided into 3 meals a day with 0 snacking in between.
It's about 3000 calories.

Morning:
1L of Milk.
2 Hard Boiled eggs.
1 Pear.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.

Lunch:
500g of Chicken Breast.
500g of Frozen Green Peas.
1 Apple.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.

Dinner:
1L of Milk.
2 Hard Boiled Eggs.
1 Orange.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say that's an ideal diet. Lack of wholegrain carbs and vegetables. The only veg you consume is a crazy amount of peas at lunchtime. There are much better vegetables out there than frozen peas. Ideally, the majority of your fruit and veg consumption should be vegetables (so at least 3/5 of your recommended minimum daily portions).

Also you seem to be drowning yourself in liquids, most likely to make up for the small amount of solid food and carbs at dinner and breakfast.
(edited 7 years ago)
No tea time?
Why no snacks? I would think fruits and nuts would be a good healthy snack
3000 calories? Depends on the amount you currently consume.
The same meals every day :frown:
Hard boiled eggs for breakfast and dinner?
3 litres of green tea per day??

As you can probably tell I'm not a fan of dieting... at least not in such a strict manner.
If you really want to diet, make small changes and stick to them, then make more changes.
Too much too fast may backfire. :dontknow:
Not enough carbohydrate (never thought I'd say that!) and not enough veg. Add some beans and peppers and courgettes and stuff.

Also, that's a lot of caffeine to drink every day.
Original post by habeas.corpus
I wouldn't say that's an ideal diet. Lack of wholegrain carbs and vegetables. The only veg you consume is a crazy amount of peas at lunchtime. There are much better vegetables out there than frozen peas. Ideally, the majority of your fruit and veg consumption should be vegetables (so at least 3/5 of your recommended minimum daily portions).

Also you seem to be drowning yourself in liquids, most likely to make up for the small amount of solid food at dinner and breakfast,

Agreed

Try not to drown OP

That diet looks pretty drastic, are you sure you need to go that far?
It looks almost like a keto diet
Reply 6
Original post by Molybdenum.
Basically I want to start eating healthy and also start working out.
So I have devised a healthy diet for me.
It's 0 processed food, 0 addded sugar and 0 added salt.
It's divided into 3 meals a day with 0 snacking in between.
It's about 3000 calories.

Morning:
1L of Milk.
2 Hard Boiled eggs.
1 Pear.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.

Lunch:
500g of Chicken Breast.
500g of Frozen Green Peas.
1 Apple.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.

Dinner:
1L of Milk.
2 Hard Boiled Eggs.
1 Orange.
1L of Green Tea.
1L of Water.

This isnt ideal, as important as it is to drink water, I think this is way too much.
And a Litre of green tea? That will honestly make you feel nauseous! It's not actually that great, despite the 'hype' which is mostly company driven.

Any serving of anything 500g is way too much!
I would recommend 100g tops, and 100g of carbs, along with similar for vegetables.

Also, worryingly there isnt carbhydrates?? These are soooo important, there is so much myth about carbs and how they are bad for you... WRONG!
Carbs are essential in brain function and you simply need them for energy, I stick to brown breads, pasta, oats etc which are really healthy in moderation (100g portions)

I hope this helps, (im a bikini fitness model and therefore have been on diets and know whats healthy/what works etc) x
Reply 7
I'm a perfectionist.
If I do something it has to be a 100%.
Reply 8
Download My Fitness Pal, it's a really good app for calorie counting and keeping track of macros, it's what I've been using to lose weight. Basically you log the food in there and say where you bought it from, and all the nutritional info is already there. So you can click on Nutrients and see how much fat or carbs or even calcium you've taken in that day.

You enter your current weight and height and sex and exercise habits, then your goal weight and it sets you a calorie limit. So for example: 5'4, 8.1stone, 19, female, little to no exercise per day, goal weight 7.7 stone, and from this it told me to get on 1200 calories a day, which is crazy considering I must have been on 2200 a day when I was binge eating. It gave me limits for all the macros per day too. Also download Google Fit which counts your steps and works with the app, so even walking during my commute to uni burns like 200 calories so the app says I'm allowed to eat another 200 that day.
(edited 7 years ago)
personally i would feel sick at the end of the day that just seems SO much that your stomach will be full throughout the whole day and not in the right way.

i mean i can'ts drink 1l of milk, water AND green tea in the morning let alone for the rest of the day. your dinner doesnt seem very nutritious.

i give this diet a thumbs down
I'm a perfectionist.

Haha, well, good luck if you decide to go through with it
Reply 11
Also, Id just like to add.. Such a drastic diet change is really hard to stick to! And gives more chance of falling off the wagon so to speak, a healthy diet in no way has to be boring! I snack on nuts and berries, fruits, peanut butter etc etc... Work eating habits around you and make it achievable.. 3000 is also way too much, so although you have good intentions you may gain weight being on more than the recommended daily allowance!
I'm a perfectionist.

This is exactly the sort of over-specific, borderline psychotic, purist thing I would do.

The problem is if you have zero variety in the log term you will lack micronutrients.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a perfectionist.

Then let me tell that for dieting, the best way to go about it is to make small chages.
E.g. increase water intake by a glass maybe. Do this for a week. Once this has settled, cut down on chocolates/crisps. Do this for a week. Etc that sorta thing

Slowly slow will ensure that these changes become habits rather than causing you to burn down too fast.

So revise this plan and make a new one, where you can see your progress over time.
This is in my personal opinion though
Are you trying to gain weight or lose weight.
Reply 15
Original post by Petulia
Download My Fitness Pal, it's a really good app for calorie counting and keeping track of macros, it's what I've been using to lose weight. Basically you log the food in there and say where you bought it from, and all the nutritional info is already there. So you can click on Nutrients and see how much fat or carbs or even calcium you've taken in that day.

You enter your current weight and height and sex and exercise habits, then your goal weight and it sets you a calorie limit. So for example: 5'4, 8.1stone, 19, female, little to no exercise per day, goal weight 7.7 stone, and from this it told me to get on 1200 calories a day, which is crazy considering I must have been on 2200 a day when I was binge eating. It gave me limits for all the macros per day too. Also download Google Fit which counts your steps and works with the app, so even walking during my commute to uni burns like 200 calories so the app says I'm allowed to eat another 200 that day.

Yes, thank you I know about that app from a certain fitness channel Youtube.

Also, why no exercise?.
If you want to lose weight and just generally be healthy you must exercise as well.
This diet clearly isn't "healthy". I have no doubt that any doctor or nutritionist would recommend against it. It's restrictive in its food groups. Completely eliminating carbs is silly- that's a good source of energy and will help your workouts etc. Also, there isn't enough veg or a variety of veg.

Whilst the actual content of your diet is healthy, the variation and proportions are mental. I'd focus on the quality and variety of sources of your calories. Also, it's clear that you are drinking excessive liquids to fill your stomach.
Reply 17
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Are you trying to gain weight or lose weight.

I'm trying to gain weight and build muscle mass.
Original post by SMT22x
Also, Id just like to add.. Such a drastic diet change is really hard to stick to! And gives more chance of falling off the wagon so to speak, a healthy diet in no way has to be boring! I snack on nuts and berries, fruits, peanut butter etc etc... Work eating habits around you and make it achievable.. 3000 is also way too much, so although you have good intentions you may gain weight being on more than the recommended daily allowance!

3000 cals is not way too much. The amount of calories one should consume largely depends on their activity levels. OP might be very active and exercise daily, in which case 3000 is perfectly fine.
I'm trying to gain weight and build muscle mass.

Then cutting out carbs is silly.

Quick Reply

Latest