The Student Room Group

Liberal Arts/Liberal Arts and Sciences

Would be interested to hear students/prospective students opinions on Exeter, Durham, Birmingham and UCL? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedstudent6
Would be interested to hear students/prospective students opinions on Exeter, Durham, Birmingham and UCL? Thanks!

Hi, I'm a prospective student who is hoping to apply to Liberal Arts and Science degrees at UCL, Bristol, Exeter and perhaps Leeds.

My personal opinion on this is that it is an extremely beneficial and intriguing course which can offer so much to students. I think that it would really enable us to expand our horizons and perhaps allow us to determine our true callings. It seems like the perfect opportunity for self discovery and is a really unique way to attain knowledge.

I view this as a really interesting opportunity and find that combining arts with humanities, sciences and modern languages is a truly beneficial gateway to upcoming success.

What are your thoughts on it?
I completely agree with you. I think that these courses can offer more than simply allowing students to carry on studying different subjects until they 'decide' on what they want to do. I think they look like they will teach exciting interdisciplinary approaches which will be invaluable in life after University! There is definitely a lot to be said for a focused single honours degree if it is a subject which someone confident about wanting to study and is passionate about, but for me I think the Liberal Arts education style looks the most engaging.

Have you looked at any US Liberal Arts colleges? Or Maastricht, Utrecht or Rotterdam University College Liberal Arts? Some of these places look amazing.
I completely agree with you. I think that these courses can offer more than simply allowing students to carry on studying different subjects until they 'decide' on what they want to do. I think they look like they will teach exciting interdisciplinary approaches which will be invaluable in life after University! There is definitely a lot to be said for a focused single honours degree if it is a subject which someone confident about wanting to study and is passionate about, but for me I think the Liberal Arts education style looks the most engaging.

Have you looked at any US Liberal Arts colleges? Or Maastricht, Utrecht or Rotterdam University College Liberal Arts? Some of these places look amazing.

You couldn't be more right! I mean I'm sure there will be some people who see liberal arts as their easy way out but I think and hope that most of my fellow liberal arts peers will be analytical thinkers like myself who are intrigued by interdisciplinary studies.. I have not done that, no but just to let you know, Warwick offer an intercalated year where you can study at Maastricht if that interests you at all. I'm having trouble deciding which unis to put as fourth and fifth choices. Pm?
Reply 4
Original post by itsmayamiller
You couldn't be more right! I mean I'm sure there will be some people who see liberal arts as their easy way out but I think and hope that most of my fellow liberal arts peers will be analytical thinkers like myself who are intrigued by interdisciplinary studies.. I have not done that, no but just to let you know, Warwick offer an intercalated year where you can study at Maastricht if that interests you at all. I'm having trouble deciding which unis to put as fourth and fifth choices. Pm?

Hey,

Just wanted to ask if you ended up applying to Warrick for Liberal Arts, as I'm also thinking of applying there?
Original post by walia321
Hey,

Just wanted to ask if you ended up applying to Warrick for Liberal Arts, as I'm also thinking of applying there?

Hi, I've actually removed it from my choices because I've realised that if I was to major in Philosophy (which is actually not what I want to study, I'd rather do Anthropology but it's not offered everywhere within Liberal Arts so I have to make an opportunity cost lol) then I'd have to take introductory modules only in Philosophy in year 1 meaning it wouldn't be interdisciplinary at all, as I wouldn't get to study my other interests such as Spanish & Creative Writing.

I'm hoping to apply to UCL, KCL, SOAS, Leeds and perhaps even Birmingham now (or Surrey). Where else are you looking to apply? Pm as well, perhaps?
I've applied to Lib Arts at KCL, Durham and Exeter, then Arts & Sciences at UCL and Combined Honours at Newcastle.
Reply 7
I've applied for Lib Arts in Bristol and I'm currently awaiting a response. Has anyone got a lib arts offer from Bristol yet?

And in regards to the subject I think it's an opportunity to gain a wider picture as there are so many cross overs in the art subjects that you're less likely to explore if you were to go down a single route. Obviously there are benefits by focusing on one course yet the breadth you gain from liberal arts is very unique
I've applied to Birmingham, UCL, Exeter, Bristol and Leeds. I've haven't heard back from Exeter yet, but have submitted the questionnaire for UCL and been sent the admissions essay questions for Birmingham. I think they're quite hard questions! I've got offers from Leeds and Bristol, although neither are my first choice it is quite reassuring to have.
Reply 9
I've applied to Birmingham, UCL, Exeter, Bristol and Leeds. I've haven't heard back from Exeter yet, but have submitted the questionnaire for UCL and been sent the admissions essay questions for Birmingham. I think they're quite hard questions! I've got offers from Leeds and Bristol, although neither are my first choice it is quite reassuring to have.

Wow that's amazing, well done!! When did you get your offer for Bristol?
Original post by Grace.23
Wow that's amazing, well done!! When did you get your offer for Bristol?

Thank you! Yes I was really happy. Think it was just over two weeks ago. I am on my gap year so have my results already - maybe this makes it simpler and quicker for them to give an offer? When did you submit your application? Have you applied to UCL? I haven't heard anything from them in response to submitting their questionnaire. Which Uni would be your favourite?
Thank you! Yes I was really happy. Think it was just over two weeks ago. I am on my gap year so have my results already - maybe this makes it simpler and quicker for them to give an offer? When did you submit your application? Have you applied to UCL? I haven't heard anything from them in response to submitting their questionnaire. Which Uni would be your favourite?

I applied on 7th Nov but got an email on the 16th saying "we're still considering your application". I'm not sure whether to be worried or not! I suppose it's better than a straight rejection.
I didn't apply for UCL sorry! Trying to stay close to home and I live in South Wales. I think Bristol will be my firm, I'm guessing yours is UCL?
I applied on 7th Nov but got an email on the 16th saying "we're still considering your application". I'm not sure whether to be worried or not! I suppose it's better than a straight rejection.
I didn't apply for UCL sorry! Trying to stay close to home and I live in South Wales. I think Bristol will be my firm, I'm guessing yours is UCL?

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be worried if I was you! Hopefully they will reply to you soon. Even though UCL is the nearest to where I live, I think Birmingham is my favourite. I'm looking forward to looking round Bristol as I didn't get to look round before applying. Where else have you applied? And what are you hoping to major in? I'm still undecided.
Reply 13
I've applied to Lib Arts at Birmingham, Durham and Bristol, then Combined Honours at Newcastle. I got an offer from Bristol back in early November and I've had offers from Newcastle and Birmingham (unconditional! and my first choice whoooo).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rivkaaah
I've applied to Lib Arts at Birmingham, Durham and Bristol, then Combined Honours at Newcastle and Asian and Middle Eastern studies at Cam. I got an offer from Bristol back in early November and I've had offers from Newcastle and Birmingham (unconditional! and my first choice whoooo).

Wow thats amazing! Well done! Do you mind if I ask when you applied?
I've applied to Lib Arts at Birmingham, Durham and Bristol, then Combined Honours at Newcastle and Asian and Middle Eastern studies at Cam. I got an offer from Bristol back in early November and I've had offers from Newcastle and Birmingham (unconditional! and my first choice whoooo).

That's so good! Did you have to write the admissions essay for Birmingham?
Reply 16
Wow thats amazing! Well done! Do you mind if I ask when you applied?

Thanks! I sent my application off on the 14th of October :colondollar:

That's so good! Did you have to write the admissions essay for Birmingham?

:2euk48l:
Yep, I did the q 'What do you believe to be the most significant scientific breakthrough of the 21st century + Why?'

Yep, I did the q 'What do you believe to be the most significant scientific breakthrough of the 21st century + Why?'

Yeah that question looks interesting. Congrats on your offers :smile: how long after submitting your essay was it before you heard back from Birmingham?
Reply 18

Interesting question... what did you go for? Just been discussing this question over the dinner table and googling possibilities. I felt stopping Ebola spreading so preventing a pandemic and millions of deaths was a huge breakthrough. Not sure it counts as a scientific breakthrough.

Back to original question. I am looking at Liberal arts and Sciences at the University of Amsterdam and University College Utrecht... but for next year as I'm only in Y12. I went over to the Netherlands in the summer and visited both unis. They were amazing and guarantee accommodation for the entire course. The fees are about 3800 Euros a year so that is a big draw.

University College Amsterdam has some really interesting courses- Peace Lab takes the students and tutors to Kosovo for a month to learn about the conflict and peace resolution. I am interested in following a Social Science track and majoring in International Relations or Politics.
Original post by Breward
Interesting question... what did you go for? Just been discussing this question over the dinner table and googling possibilities. I felt stopping Ebola spreading so preventing a pandemic and millions of deaths was a huge breakthrough. Not sure it counts as a scientific breakthrough.

Back to original question. I am looking at Liberal arts and Sciences at the University of Amsterdam and University College Utrecht... but for next year as I'm only in Y12. I went over to the Netherlands in the summer and visited both unis. They were amazing and guarantee accommodation for the entire course. The fees are about 3800 Euros a year so that is a big draw.

University College Amsterdam has some really interesting courses- Peace Lab takes the students and tutors to Kosovo for a month to learn about the conflict and peace resolution. I am interested in following a Social Science track and majoring in International Relations or Politics.

I haven't decided on a question yet, but was thinking along the lines of medical breakthroughs as well. The peace lab at University College Amsterdam sounds really interesting! I've got a friend at UCU and she's really enjoying it. I visited UCU but didn't get a chance to visit UCA. My current plan is to maybe go to a Dutch university college on my year abroad, as all of the UK courses I've applied to have the year abroad option. Good luck with your exams and applications next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest