Paramedic Science 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I submitted my UCAS yesterday to
UoN
BCU
SHU
Staffordshire
Coventry

With competition being so high, I'm not all that confident of getting accepted, but here's to hoping 😁
Reply 81
Hi Josh,

I'm thinking to apply to ARU for 2017, I'm a mature student, nearly 32, and this step it will be a big career change for me.
1. With this course, being full time, what is the employability rate after you finish? It's a lot of money to invest in, and to think you have no job after... Can you find a job easily?
2. Is it better to do this course through Uni or the diploma route?
3. What is your advice on the diploma route? I like this route because of the salary..but it takes 3 years to finish it. After you have your qualification, will you still need to go to UNI? 3 years full time? to top up your knowledge, have a Bsc (Hons)

Many thanks for your help !!!
Reply 82
Original post by _homesick__
I submitted my UCAS yesterday to
UoN
BCU
SHU
Staffordshire
Coventry

With competition being so high, I'm not all that confident of getting accepted, but here's to hoping 😁

Well done for submitting your application !!!
If I may ask...why have you chosen the uni route instead the diploma one?
Reply 83
Original post by WaceMindu
My pleasure, I remember what it was like applying, it's a nerve wracking and stressful time, but so so worth it.

I interviewed for all of my choices ( except plymouth who don't interview) and got offers for all of them.
I chose BU ( Bournemouth) because that's home for me and decided Id prefer to focus fully on commitment to the course rather than having to worry about housing and money issues if I moved away.
It also placed students with SWAST who was the service I wanted to work for at the time, and work for now.

Interviews are a stressful time, but not designed to make you fail. I would advise trying to find out what type of proccess you chosen Uni's use. You can do this either on here or emailing the uni direct... don't be afraid to do this.
Some use 1 2 1 interviews, others use mini interviews and communication scenarios and some have written tests.
I would make sure you know in depth what you need and what you need to bring / wear on the day ( I would always wear a suit/ business atire but that's just me). You wouldn't beleive how many people turned up in jeans and a t-shirt for my interview days and forgot ID etc etc... suffice to say they didn't get on the course.

As far as prep goes, it's hopefully stuff you've already done, but I would make sure you really understand what the ambulance service is all about and what is expected of paramedics now. We're close to becoming Band 6 nationally, because we are autonomous practitioners, capable of administering various meds and dicharging patients independantly.
You should know about the HCPC and what they do, be familiar with the college of paramedics and their career frame work, know where the profession is going, advanced practice and independant prescribing.

I would also suggest reading documents like taking healthcare to the patient 2 ( the bradly report) and the keogh report. These are older docmuments now, but have shaped the ambulance service to be what it is.
Also read up about your placement trust, it's highliy likely your interview panel will be lecturers and members from the placement organisation so know about SWAST, SCAST, NWAS, who ever it is. Know about their coverage and some of their trust's missions / schemes. Also think about why you want to be a paramedic... why not a nurse or a doctor?

It all sounds daunting and a lot. I promise you it's not, it just comes down to being enthusiastic, they have to know you understand what you're getting yourself into and that you really want to do it. Because a 3 year degree is a long time to then decide you'd rather be in an office.

Sorry for the long post, I get quite passionate about this job :smile:

Feel free to ask anything else I can help with

Josh

Hi Josh,

I'm thinking to apply to ARU for 2017, I'm a mature student, nearly 32, and this step it will be a big career change for me.
1. With this course, being full time, what is the employability rate after you finish? It's a lot of money to invest in, and to think you have no job after... Can you find a job easily?
3. What is your advice on the diploma route? I like this route because of the salary..but it takes 3 years to finish it. After you have your qualification, will you still need to go to UNI? 3 years full time? to top up your knowledge, have a Bsc (Hons)

Original post by MagpieA
Well done for submitting your application !!!
If I may ask...why have you chosen the uni route instead the diploma one?

Thanks :smile: I've been sat on UCAS track ever since I received my acknowledgment of application emails yesterday haha

Ummm because I'm sure only Birmingham offers it that's close to me.. I'm from Nottingham and hopeful of studying from home and getting placements in Nottingham with EMAS. I'm familiar with a lot of the crews in Notts as I work in the ED so would be nice to learn from people I know. And as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) Birmingham only offer the DipHE course to current technicians? Which you need two years driving experience for, which I don't have!

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying every avenue to get into the ambulance service as degree entry is extremely competitive with very few places. Once I obtain a c1 provisional, I'll apply for student paramedic roles even if it's outside of east midlands and once I've been driving for over a year I'll apply for technician roles if unsuccessful at getting into uni. But as of 2019 registering as a paramedic will be Degree entry only anyway (again, correct me if I'm wrong) so I may as well do a full degree in it.

As for UoN, cov & staff, my plan if I got in either would be to do the foundation degree, register as a paramedic and do my third year through employment.. which I know a lot of paramedics have done with EMAS and EMAS have funded it and given them study days off etc.

Hope all my rambling made sense 😂
Original post by MagpieA
Hi Josh,

Only question I can be helpful with is employability rate... it's extremely high. There's always a demand for paramedics and as long as you pass your degree and register with the HCPC I'd say you'd find employment very quickly. All the open days I've been to have been like 90%+ have found employment within 6 months of finishing uni
Reply 86
Thanks :smile: I've been sat on UCAS track ever since I received my acknowledgment of application emails yesterday haha

Ummm because I'm sure only Birmingham offers it that's close to me.. I'm from Nottingham and hopeful of studying from home and getting placements in Nottingham with EMAS. I'm familiar with a lot of the crews in Notts as I work in the ED so would be nice to learn from people I know. And as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) Birmingham only offer the DipHE course to current technicians? Which you need two years driving experience for, which I don't have!

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying every avenue to get into the ambulance service as degree entry is extremely competitive with very few places. Once I obtain a c1 provisional, I'll apply for student paramedic roles even if it's outside of east midlands and once I've been driving for over a year I'll apply for technician roles if unsuccessful at getting into uni. But as of 2019 registering as a paramedic will be Degree entry only anyway (again, correct me if I'm wrong) so I may as well do a full degree in it.

As for UoN, cov & staff, my plan if I got in either would be to do the foundation degree, register as a paramedic and do my third year through employment.. which I know a lot of paramedics have done with EMAS and EMAS have funded it and given them study days off etc.

Hope all my rambling made sense 😂

Thanks for replying so quickly !!! Much appreciated

Your rambling does makes sense :wink:
I've been to ARU Open Day today and was so amazed by them, the mentor..everything. I've chosen them because, like you, they are closer to home...somehow...I still have to drive 40 min to get there..
To me it's the money side...I'm nearly 32 and the thought of not having a salary for 3 years it's making me a sad panda..how will I live for 3 years???
Hopefully I can get an interview through East of England Ambulance Services..and fingers crossed from there on.
Is it true that 15th of Jan is the last day to submit your application for Uni? I will try it just in case..
Wish you the best of luck !!!!
Reply 87
Only question I can be helpful with is employability rate... it's extremely high. There's always a demand for paramedics and as long as you pass your degree and register with the HCPC I'd say you'd find employment very quickly. All the open days I've been to have been like 90%+ have found employment within 6 months of finishing uni

Hi Josh,

Thank you for replying to my comment ! Much appreciated :smile:

I don't know why, but I thought you're the proud owner of a Diploma, was hoping for more in depth details :biggrin:

Either route, it's going to take us to the same job, and more importantly be happy about it.

Wish you the best of luck !
Original post by MagpieA
Thanks for replying so quickly !!! Much appreciated

Your rambling does makes sense :wink:
I've been to ARU Open Day today and was so amazed by them, the mentor..everything. I've chosen them because, like you, they are closer to home...somehow...I still have to drive 40 min to get there..
To me it's the money side...I'm nearly 32 and the thought of not having a salary for 3 years it's making me a sad panda..how will I live for 3 years???
Hopefully I can get an interview through East of England Ambulance Services..and fingers crossed from there on.
Is it true that 15th of Jan is the last day to submit your application for Uni? I will try it just in case..
Wish you the best of luck !!!!

For September 2017 entry, then yes January 15th 6pm is the deadline for applications.

Have you thought about technician entry? It's a band 4 role, you obviously aren't a fully qualified paramedic but you get training, and can give some meds (paracetamol, entonox and some IM medication) and then if the opportunity comes up to do a dipHE through the service you're employed with then you'd likely get onto it. Also I dunno if ECAs are still recruited in other ambulance services, but that might be a route to consider too.
Or you could go to uni, get a job as a HCA and join an agency and work shifts around uni. That's what I plan to do if my current employer can't reduce my hours to 11.5 a week if I get into uni :biggrin:
Reply 89
For September 2017 entry, then yes January 15th 6pm is the deadline for applications.

Have you thought about technician entry? It's a band 4 role, you obviously aren't a fully qualified paramedic but you get training, and can give some meds (paracetamol, entonox and some IM medication) and then if the opportunity comes up to do a dipHE through the service you're employed with then you'd likely get onto it. Also I dunno if ECAs are still recruited in other ambulance services, but that might be a route to consider too.
Or you could go to uni, get a job as a HCA and join an agency and work shifts around uni. That's what I plan to do if my current employer can't reduce my hours to 11.5 a week if I get into uni :biggrin:

Yes, I am considering the technician entry too, but you've definitely brighten up my night :biggrin: didn't know I can work in the first year. Hmmm ....so there is a possibility.
Original post by MagpieA
Yes, I am considering the technician entry too, but you've definitely brighten up my night :biggrin: didn't know I can work in the first year. Hmmm ....so there is a possibility.

Yeah if you get work as a hca somewhere loacal to the uni, you can register with NHS professionals and choose the shifts you want to work. You can apply to NHS p externally but I think you are required to have done a healthcare NVQ or have the care certificate
Anybody go to SHU open day today? What did people think?
Reply 92
Was at BCU open day today and loved and will be applying there!

During the talk we were shown a timetable of when we would be in uni doing models and when were out on placement for the 3 years. has anyone got a copy or a photo of the timetable I can see. From what i saw it looked like in the first year you are only in uni till Christmas then on placement for the rest of the year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to TSR so bare with me!
I have just sent of my application for my chosen universities. I was just wondering how many of you have heard back in terms of potential interview's etc? It's all rather exciting! I also want to wish you all luck with your applications :smile:
Original post by MagpieA
Hi Josh,

Hi Magpie,

No worries at all, I'm happy to help. Well done you on taking such a massive leap to change career at this point. I have a lot of friends that I qualified with who were mums and dads on the course, and have the up most respect for them as it's not easy to change so late... but I'm sure they would agree, so so worth it.

To answer question 1, employability is 100%, hands down. If you're a registered paramedic you will find work... and you will find work to suit you. Front line ambo services are desparate for paramedics so they will lap you up as soon as you're qualified ( providing you pass interview of course), then add on to that the private ambulance services and event service providers that will take you on bank for easy over time as well and it really is fantastic employability options.
Many non-ambulance services are coming round to how versatile paramedics are now as well, I have friends that work in GP surgeries, for insurance companies doing disability assessment and know people that work in hospital doing resus training and audit. So don't worry, it wont be wasted time.

Question 2: I'll try and be as impartial as I can, as I have pretty stong feelings about the Uni route.
The part time diploma you're right means you get paid on the job as you learn, but also that the service you work for will give you placeing priority when you qualify, so for example when you become a paramedic, if you've worked in your home town station and there's a vaccancy you will get that over a uni paramedic because you've been working there as a paid student member of staff for X years. which is only fair I think.
However, in addition to the full time job and your home life, you also have to put in essay writing and study time etc in your own time somewhere, so I actually think the diploma route is harder and you don't even get a degree.

The uni rounte you get time tabled in uni time, study time, placement time, holidays etc etc so studying is a lot easier. but of course it is financially harder. That said, make sure you have seen an advisor in the uni to make sure you are getting your full student maintenance assistance and you have got any bursuries you can get. Single mothers for example in my uni qualified for some addidtional funds, so even if you're not a student there yet, have a chat with the financial advisors at an open day or via email, to see what free money you can get. They're only too happy to help, because remember they want you to pick them, so they're going to throw as much free money that you qualify for your way, to get you to pick them.

The uni route means you will get a BSc Hons in your 3 years as opposed to a dipHE or FdSc. This means you can show higher academic learning, which when it comes to advanced roles, education roles, working in GP surgeries or the higher paid stuff band 7 and 8, ( many of which want masters study or working towards masters) you're in a better position already to start working towards these jobs. Were as the on the job route will mean you'll need to do BSc top up modules and then masters.

I also strongly feel ( and this is my personal opinion) that uni educated paramedics receive more fit for purpose traning, and as a result your practice is more suited to the type of patients that make up 99% of our call volume. You're more versed in evidence based practice, reading evidence base and understanding medicine. Because of the way you've received your training. You also receive more training that is based around primary care, assessing soft tissue injuries, assessing chest infections e
tc and more assessment skills to keep people in the community, which is what the role is moving towards.

Sorry I realise that's a lot of waffle. I guess the simple answer is think about where you want to take your career. If you're likely to want to advance and can afford the uni route, I would suggest heavily considering this way.

If you think you're likely to stay as a paramedic on the road then there isn't much difference between the two in that respect. Just bare in mind now, that your average paramedic isn't doing the job for 40+ years like it used to be. Average time on the road for a paramedic is 7 years now because burn out is so high.
Reply 95
Does anyone have any tips for interviews?
I've been offered a couple so far (hoping for more!) and I'm pretty nervous!
Original post by lewislloyd
How would only having a DipHe hinder you in your progression, I don't see why the college of paramedics would prefer a degree over a diploma, granted it is one year less of training but all the core modules are still taught and it would mean I could go and gain more experience if needs be.

there will be top up routes , same as every other health profession when they move from traditional training, to Dip HE / foundation degree and eventually to honours degree for entry

also i suspect that more and more paramedics are going to find thatthey must do the mentorship /SLiP course if they want to get on rather than it being the role of FBAs ... which is 30 credits towards topping up as i suspect the SLiP standards wanted by the HCPC will be not dissimilar to those required by the NMC
Original post by cgc20
Does anyone have any tips for interviews?
I've been offered a couple so far (hoping for more!) and I'm pretty nervous!

We aren't allowed to apparently discuss interview stuff on here, but I think majority of unis do a group task looking for specific qualities of your personality, and then a 1 to 1 interview to identify why you want to be a paramedic and your knowledge on the role.

Some require a maths and English test before interview, and others hot desk interview so you just go from room to room with different lecturers, etc.

If you google around or look on the specific uni page, you'll likely find info on exactly what to expect. Have you joined the FB page "so you want to be a paramedic"? There's loads of interview tips on there 🙂
Has anyone had an interview at preston ulcan?
Reply 99
We aren't allowed to apparently discuss interview stuff on here, but I think majority of unis do a group task looking for specific qualities of your personality, and then a 1 to 1 interview to identify why you want to be a paramedic and your knowledge on the role.

Some require a maths and English test before interview, and others hot desk interview so you just go from room to room with different lecturers, etc.

If you google around or look on the specific uni page, you'll likely find info on exactly what to expect. Have you joined the FB page "so you want to be a paramedic"? There's loads of interview tips on there 🙂

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest