The Student Room Group

Underachieving until now but is it too late to pursue a career in finance?

Scroll to see replies

The odds are stacked high against you. Your A Levels and university aren't going to impress recruiters, and the masters at Essex isn't going to help. You aren't offering anything to them that they can't get from the hundreds of other applicants also applying for the same job.

I would recommend applying for audit graduate schemes. They recruit from all universities and are less competitive, but still require you to show that you have talent and intelligence. You meet to find a way to show that in your application. If you get into one of these graduate schemes, you can collect your ACA after three years, do a stint in corporate finance/TAS and switch to banking, certain smaller banks I know hire a lot of ACAs.

It's harder than it sounds but not impossible and if you're dedicated as you say you are to a career in banking you can succeed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Deus123
Does being the co director of a small plc since 2012 count as experience? With around 25k turnover yearly.

frankly, no. anyone (who is not banned) can be a company director. and with turnover that small why would you have a plc and not a private limited company? i was a corporate lawyer, and my *this might be dodgy* feelings were always on high alert when i saw a plc with a tiny turnover - it cries out that a company is trying to be seen as more credible than it is.
Reply 22
Original post by Pariah
frankly, no. anyone (who is not banned) can be a company director. and with turnover that small why would you have a plc and not a private limited company? i was a corporate lawyer, and my *this might be dodgy* feelings were always on high alert when i saw a plc with a tiny turnover - it cries out that a company is trying to be seen as more credible than it is.

Sorry I didn't mean plc I meant ltd that provides hospital activities. It's a recruitment agency set up for consultant doctors who want to find work around the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Sayed0123
The odds are stacked high against you. Your A Levels and university aren't going to impress recruiters, and the masters at Essex isn't going to help. You aren't offering anything to them that they can't get from the hundreds of other applicants also applying for the same job.

I would recommend applying for audit graduate schemes. They recruit from all universities and are less competitive, but still require you to show that you have talent and intelligence. You meet to find a way to show that in your application. If you get into one of these graduate schemes, you can collect your ACA after three years, do a stint in corporate finance/TAS and switch to banking, certain smaller banks I know hire a lot of ACAs.

It's harder than it sounds but not impossible and if you're dedicated as you say you are to a career in banking you can succeed.

Hello and thank you for the advice. After consideration I've ruled out Essex. In the last week I've been in the process of choosing the modules that I did worst in, and I'm planning on redoing them in the summer to boost my A levels to at least ABB. I have a lot of spare time and the will to do so. I'm meeting my career advisor next week, but in your opinion do you think this is a good investment of myna time?
Original post by Deus123
A little about myself without boring you. I've always been naturally gifted or at least I have been told so. I have just always been distracted and I guess a strong work ethic and academic maturity was something that wasn't underdeveloped when compared to my peers. I took biology, psychology and chemists to for A-levels. I achieved C B D respectively. Looking back I regret the time wasted when I barely revised and put the time in. I could have done so much better. I managed to get into Nottingham Trent university, yes I know hardly an achievement where I just recently graduated with a 2.1 in psychology with criminology. It was only until the third year i started putting in some sort of effort and scraped a 2.1. I've always been extremely intelligent, but I fit into the cliche of being one of the dumbest smartest people you'll meet. My parents are both doctors who are first generation immigrants and my aunt recently moved to the UK and is a lecturer in Islamic banking and finance at the uni of Newcastle, with my brother having just gone to uni of Manchester to do medicine.

Now that education isn't being force fed into me like a goose in froisgras factory I've had time to reflect. I find myself completing psychometric tests for fun, reading undergraduate economics books and brushing up on my algebra and pre calculus.

I want to pursue an MA or an MSc in economics with the hopes of becoming an investment banker but reading the posts on here and the amount of grooming people have been going through to secure a career in IB I feel ever more helpless in that no matter how hard I try a career in finance or IB is no longer attainable. I was thinking of completing an MA in economics at the university's of Essex. How would I gain any extra curricular experience? How could I show that I do finally have the academic maturity and the work ethic and the genuine interest in economics and banking without appearing to be the cliche wolf of wall street inspired idiot who suddenly wants to make a lot of money. Any help would be appreciated.

What is it about IB that you like??

Do you like the M&A side? BE SPECIFIC.

It helps you to focus and think of a strategy to get where you want.

E.G. work for small MM M&A firm like Bakertilly (I think now called RSM). You could with your credentials land an offer as logn as you brush up on your ability to pass general competency interviews, group exercises and physometics because right now thats the only thing you can CONTROL.

The rest must come from achievement at work and work ethic and pure resilience and networking. That's just a start. There is potential to work your way to an IB with a good reputation, but you would need to be at liek director level in a small firm to start as an associate in a good IB with your credentials. It will take TIME. Can't lie.

Is that what you really want?

Dude

YOU DON;T KNOW THE **** WHAT YOU WANT.

Let' be honest, you will flip flop like jellyfish.

Man what you need is HELP.

I can help you.

Message me if you want part 2.
Reply 25
Original post by ThisIsReal
What is it about IB that you like??

Do you like the M&A side? BE SPECIFIC.

It helps you to focus and think of a strategy to get where you want.

E.G. work for small MM M&A firm like Bakertilly (I think now called RSM). You could with your credentials land an offer as logn as you brush up on your ability to pass general competency interviews, group exercises and physometics because right now thats the only thing you can CONTROL.

The rest must come from achievement at work and work ethic and pure resilience and networking. That's just a start. There is potential to work your way to an IB with a good reputation, but you would need to be at liek director level in a small firm to start as an associate in a good IB with your credentials. It will take TIME. Can't lie.

Is that what you really want?

Dude

YOU DON;T KNOW THE **** WHAT YOU WANT.

Let' be honest, you will flip flop like jellyfish.

Man what you need is HELP.

I can help you.

Message me if you want part 2.

Appreciate the message and the honesty. How can you help me? What's does part 2 entail?
Original post by Deus123
Appreciate the message and the honesty. How can you help me? What's does part 2 entail?

You;re in a lucky position.

You have 240 UCAS points which is good as it is the bare minimum for small professional services firms who still look at UCAS.

I recommend you apply for PwC, they no longer look at UCAS POINTS! They only want a minimum of 2:1 degree. It is purely competency based + numerical and verbal tests. Even people with AAA at Alevels fail to get in, yet people with BCC can get in. It's a good opporutnity given your credentials.

If you master the process, you should pass with no problem at all! If you are interested in IB. Look towards the deals side. Apply for a role within deals/transactions. Tell me the one you apply to before you apply (if you apply). I can give you some guidance.

It;s a step, not necessarily in the right direction, but it might help you realize what it is you want.

After that start shopping around, I wont do this part for you. Look for other professional services firms and make a list of one;s you are eligible to apply to. Compile a list of atleast 5 but aim for 10. When you do this message me the list.
Reply 27
Original post by ThisIsReal
You;re in a lucky position.

You have 240 UCAS points which is good as it is the bare minimum for small professional services firms who still look at UCAS.

I recommend you apply for PwC, they no longer look at UCAS POINTS! They only want a minimum of 2:1 degree. It is purely competency based + numerical and verbal tests. Even people with AAA at Alevels fail to get in, yet people with BCC can get in. It's a good opporutnity given your credentials.

If you master the process, you should pass with no problem at all! If you are interested in IB. Look towards the deals side. Apply for a role within deals/transactions. Tell me the one you apply to before you apply (if you apply). I can give you some guidance.

It;s a step, not necessarily in the right direction, but it might help you realize what it is you want.

After that start shopping around, I wont do this part for you. Look for other professional services firms and make a list of one;s you are eligible to apply to. Compile a list of atleast 5 but aim for 10. When you do this message me the list.

Thank you for everything. I'm going to get started on that asap and message you again in a few days. Just one last Q. You say the Ucas points might not matter but I was thinking I could raise my results to ABD from BCD if I retake a few modules (I think it'll come to about 3 exams) which in 6 months is fine. Do you think it's worth it? Feel like it would be a shame to miss that chance before they change to linear spec.
Reply 28
Original post by Deus123
Thank you for everything. I'm going to get started on that asap and message you again in a few days. Just one last Q. You say the Ucas points might not matter but I was thinking I could raise my results to ABD from BCD if I retake a few modules (I think it'll come to about 3 exams) which in 6 months is fine. Do you think it's worth it? Feel like it would be a shame to miss that chance before they change to linear spec.

When do they change the linear spec? Is next academic year the last chance to re-take a-level modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
When do they change the linear spec? Is next academic year the last chance to re-take a-level modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The new spec came out in 2015. (Doesn't include maths.) So the last time you'll be able to resit, any modules from the old spec, will be this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3110
Maybe you're right, but I can't stand blatant arrogance like that, especially when someone has nothing to back it up with

how is he/she being arrogant????? if you place that sentence in the context of the entire post, it does not read off as arrogant at all. Its nasty people like you who look down on educational institutes, promoting elitism.
Realistically you should focus on entering another aspect of finance such as accounting and go into middle office, but IB imo is far out of reach for you.
Reply 32
Original post by souman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, yeah mate from what my former maths teacher informed me, for all subjects this summer 2017 is the last chance to retake any modules apart from maths which will be summer 2018. I think those which end in 2017 are referred to as phase 1 subjects and maths is phase 2. It may be that there are more subjects than maths that are scheduled for 2018.
Reply 33
Original post by Lay-Z
Will be hard for you to even get into a semi target uni for msc at this stage. Your best option is to network/use your parent connections to try and get an internship and then apply for the masters

Do you think it's worth redoing some of my as/A2 modules to try and raise my UCAS points to at least 280? I know I can work hard in the next 6 months to get A and B in psychology and biology respectively (by retaking maybe 3 exams this summer) but the D in chemistry is the problem.
It's "fois gras".

If you're 22 now, then with an A level in a year and a one-year MSc. you're going to be 24/25 before you're making an application. From everything I've been told about IB and the city, that's 'over the hill' - you'll be directly competing with hungry 21/2 year olds who'll essentially bend over and take whatever Goldman's wants to give them. You, with a bit more experience and a few more miles on the clock, are going to have a devil of a job convincing a large bank that they can buy you for the requisite amount of time.
Reply 35
Original post by Reality Check
It's "fois gras".

If you're 22 now, then with an A level in a year and a one-year MSc. you're going to be 24/25 before you're making an application. From everything I've been told about IB and the city, that's 'over the hill' - you'll be directly competing with hungry 21/2 year olds who'll essentially bend over and take whatever Goldman's wants to give them. You, with a bit more experience and a few more miles on the clock, are going to have a devil of a job convincing a large bank that they can buy you for the requisite amount of time.

Thank you for the condescending correction. I'm thinking of redoing AS level modules to boost my overall UCAS points by the summer. The thought process being this would allow me to apply for better jobs. Do you think I could apply (and be accepted) for an internship or grad scheme at a small pro service firm whilst studying on the side for that? I feel like my A level grades are going to be a hindrance and. either way this is starting to feel like a catch 22 sitchuation.
Original post by Deus123
Thank you for the condescending correction.

You're welcome. It's also 'situation' rather than 'sitchuation, but there we go...

Original post by Deus123
I'm thinking of redoing AS level modules to boost my overall UCAS points by the summer. The thought process being this would allow me to apply for better jobs. Do you think I could apply (and be accepted) for an internship or grad scheme at a small pro service firm whilst studying on the side for that? I feel like my A level grades are going to be a hindrance and. either way this is starting to feel like a catch 22 sitchuation.

It's not impossible, though as most of the posts have said, your age is likely to be a hindrance in the career you've chosen.
Reply 37
Original post by Reality Check
You're welcome. It's also 'situation' rather than 'sitchuation, but there we go...

It's not impossible, though as most of the posts have said, your age is likely to be a hindrance in the career you've chosen.

That was my attempt at being sardonic, but hey.

Most of the posts have quoted credentials and lack of finance related experience as the hindrance not age but I do see where you are coming from. I've got to do something significant and apply for an MSc for next September. Good day sir/madam, and peace!
Original post by Deus123
That was my attempt at being sardonic, but hey.

Most of the posts have quoted credentials and lack of finance related experience as the hindrance not age but I do see where you are coming from. I've got to do something significant and apply for an MSc for next September. Good day sir/madam, and peace!

24/5 is absolutely fine, got contacts in various natural resources divisions and none of them have told me of an "over the hill" age.

Your academic background is what's going to hurt you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending