The Student Room Group

British Asians, honestly do you feel more British or Asian?

Scroll to see replies

British even though I do incorporate some aspects of Asian culture. However my music tastes and food likes are quite British an modern. I like in a heavily populated Asian environment in England but I always grew up with British people and went to schools where the majority were white. In sixth form I do hang around with a mixture of different ethnicity minorities , mainly Indians actually.
Original post by Eternalflames
I feel more British when I go to India, and more Indian when I get back to England.

British-Indian describes me best, a bit of both.

Same here

Original post by nucdev
BBCD - British Born Confused Desi

:rofl::rofl:

But serious answer - probably both although leaning more towards British.

Lmao

I feel like I'm more Indian, especially because I speak in Gujarati at school lol and annoy my Indian teachers. Like a 60:40 ratio I would say
When I'm with with white people, I realise how Indian I am. When I'm with freshys, I realise how British I am. So both I guess.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Coconut.
I feel more British just because I was born here in England and I've been living here since. Plus all my friends (except one of them) are english. Another thing is that I'm more fluent in english than Cantonese
I'm actually Asian.
But I feel British.
And I look Arab.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Ribbit1234
When I'm with with people, I realise how Indian I am. When I'm with freshys, I realise how British I am. So both I guess.

So 'freshys' aren't people?
Original post by Ravenous
So 'freshys' aren't people?

Did I say that?
I think it depends where you are raised. If your in an inner city area of a large city with immigrant population then you will probably be more Asian in attitude. If like me you live in the provinces and a 90% + white area then you will be more English and right wing
Original post by Serine Soul
Too brown for white
Too white for brown

Is honestly how I feel

me too
Original post by neal95
I think it depends where you are raised. If your in an inner city area of a large city with immigrant population then you will probably be more Asian in attitude. If like me you live in the provinces and a 90% + white area then you will be more English and right wing

that's about right. I'm the former & i agree
Original post by iamayesha
me too

Yeah, my views, preferred taste in music, clothing and general ideal lifestyle is way out of line with traditional South Asian ones.

On the other hand, growing up in a fully South Asian area, as well as going to primary and secondary schools which were >98% Asian, I haven't really had the opportunity to mix in with the general British public. It's gotten better now that I'm in a college with 50:50 white people and ethnic minorites, but there's still that feeling that I can't relate to what they do in their daily lives lol.

Hopefully it'll get better as I go to uni and make some new friends, get a job and move out to a much more mixed area.

I can't help but blame my parents though tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Both tbh.
I moved here just over 11 years ago. I spent one half of my childhood here and spent the early part of childhood in another country (not my home country). So, while that's affected my values, lifestyle, accent and such, I'm still traditional in terms of religion and beliefs etc probably because of family influence. Though, every time I visit Asia no matter how hard I try to blend in (clothing, talking etc), people always suss me out as foreign and start speaking in English or just start staring. Same feeling of not belonging with the white community in my area even though I grew up in an area in the UK where I was the only kid of another ethnicity. One day, I would just like to blend in somewhere with someone.
I don't think I count as Asian since I'm Kurdish XD but I feel way more Kurdish than British because of the traditional household I was brought up in. I was probably not even exposed to any English stuff (except for in school) until I moved to secondary school, where I became more outgoing and got my first phone (internet lol), because at home, it's all Kurdish stuff. My parents don't speak English so I didn't watch English TV (and even now I haven't watched English TV in months cause the freeview cable is broken 😭) and I have many Kurdish behaviours that sometimes conflict with English ones XD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I have never felt British in my life. for one I'm asian not white, I'll always be different and I don't act British. I feel more Pakistani than British (coconuts and non Asians plz don't bash me)

I listen and watch bollywood with zeal, I eat desi food, can speak urdu and etc.

With that being said I respect and love England. I also intergrate to an extent.
Original post by neal95
English I am a conservative patriot I love this country I have a England flag outside my window during England games which will remain during the euros and i genuinely think many brown Asians especially Sikhs have an affinity towards England more so than India as many Sikhs feel alienated from India and the whole Hindu Muslim bedrock culture

whoa wtf wait you're asian bruv....?????
I would say I'm a coconut but I'm really in touch with my culture and what not so.
Reply 57
I'm a balance love western songs but love punjabi songs
love western food but love punjabi food
too white to be brown but too brown to be white lol
Reply 58
Bro your asian too!
Original post by I'm_infires
I don't think I count as Asian since I'm Kurdish XD but I feel way more Kurdish than British because of the traditional household I was brought up in. I was probably not even exposed to any English stuff (except for in school) until I moved to secondary school, where I became more outgoing and got my first phone (internet lol), because at home, it's all Kurdish stuff. My parents don't speak English so I didn't watch English TV (and even now I haven't watched English TV in months cause the freeview cable is broken 😭) and I have many Kurdish behaviours that sometimes conflict with English ones XD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by khan_star
I have never felt British in my life. for one I'm asian not white, I'll always be different and I don't act British. I feel more Pakistani than British (coconuts and non Asians plz don't bash me)

I listen and watch bollywood with zeal, I eat desi food, can speak urdu and etc.

With that being said I respect and love England. I also intergrate to an extent.

Thats awesome bro!

Quick Reply

Latest