The Student Room Group

British Asians, honestly do you feel more British or Asian?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Yawn!
Lol at this thread. I think this should answer all questions. :wink:

[video="youtube;YUH9jD__qHY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUH9jD__qHY[/video]

Spoiler

Love that Song!!
I identify as White-Asian instead of British-Asian which is sort of confusing ethnicity and nationality but I feel British. I have no and do not want any association with Asian culture.
I feel more British than Asian but because I have a strong asian background and stuff, I do have a bit of influence by it but I don't feel more Asian.
Original post by hezzlington
I identify as White-Asian instead of British-Asian which is sort of confusing ethnicity and nationality but I feel British. I have no and do not want any association with Asian culture.

British doesn't mean white lol. The thread is asking if you feel more integrated into British culture or Asian culture.
Original post by Zezo
For me I feel more 'British' then I do Asian, but then again I feel like I'm neither and just myself sometimes. I only follow Asian culture sometimes cause I was born in an Asian area and was raised around Asian culture but other then that I couldn't really care too much about it, I do enjoy living in Britain though, not trying to be a coconut or what not but honestly this is my home now I guess.

What's quite bizarre to me is that you would think saying Britain is your home or that you are British would make you a 'coconut'.

This represents everything wrong with multiculturalist, segregationist model.

What we need is a balance between a monoculture and integration where we receive no benefits or cultural expansion by the people we take in, and remain provincial, and a multiculturalism fostered so aggressively as to create ghettos and solitudes.

That's my party political broadcast over.
Original post by Petulia
British doesn't mean white lol. The thread is asking if you feel more integrated into British culture or Asian culture.

I'm pretty sure i clarified that in my post - as well as answering the question of the thread
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I feel more British than Asian but because I have a strong asian background and stuff, I do have a bit of influence by it but I don't feel more Asian.

I'm interested by the whole anglo-indian link, I listen to Asian network a lot.

I've been attracted to Indian women a lot and wondered about a relationship, that said maybe the ones I interacted with were anglicised and not wanting an Asian guy necessarily. I guess it's the ones who stick to their culture more.

I've wondered how it would work on a cultural level, I like the idea of it in terms of extended family, keeping some of the culture, it clearly would not be Muslims, as they are too strict and culturally different. But a lot of their family culture seems a lot more rich than British peoples. I don't know how many or which communities ever still do arranged marriage, so that wouldn't fly. Or how much they want kids kept in any traditions.
I feel more integrated into British culture, but that doesn't mean I don't partake in Indian culture. I dislike many Indian values (sexism, casteism, homophobia), but I like the food, clothes, celebrations etc. Saying that, there have been many times that I've felt like I "don't belong" here (usually after I've faced racism), though that's not the usual. It's difficult being very liberal and having traditional Indian parents ngl. :erm:

I've just realised I've posted on this thread before :lol:

You're half Asian? What particular ethnicity, if you don't mind me asking? I assumed you were just white for some reason
(edited 7 years ago)

You can't be white asian unless you are not part white. smh asians these days calling themselves white.
Im a British INDIAN.... i dont want to be grouped in the same class as people from other Asian countries. Indians (esp Sikhs and Hindus) have a good reputation in this country and many have a problem in being labelled as an ASIAN.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm interested by the whole anglo-indian link, I listen to Asian network a lot.

I've been attracted to Indian women a lot and wondered about a relationship, that said maybe the ones I interacted with were anglicised and not wanting an Asian guy necessarily. I guess it's the ones who stick to their culture more.

I've wondered how it would work on a cultural level, I like the idea of it in terms of extended family, keeping some of the culture, it clearly would not be Muslims, as they are too strict and culturally different. But a lot of their family culture seems a lot more rich than British peoples. I don't know how many or which communities ever still do arranged marriage, so that wouldn't fly. Or how much they want kids kept in any traditions.

Oh okay lol, well I'm the same ngl, I just don't find myself attracted to asian guys, like I have a bengali mate and he's really sweet and he's a funny guy too but there's nothing like that. Yeah, I understand. Richer in what way? :smile: A lot of asian cultures stick to arranged marriages but then again it does depend on the individual and their family, what they believe etc. My parents know a lot of pakistani families who still do arranged marriages but others dont, I think some bengalis do and don't and I think the majority of indians are into love marriages but then again there's yes and no in each culture if you get me. :u:
All the wannabe white people are here! :rofl:
Original post by drowzee
I feel more integrated into British culture, but that doesn't mean I don't partake in Indian culture. I dislike many Indian values (sexism, casteism, homophobia), but I like the food, clothes, celebrations etc. Saying that, there have been many times that I've felt like I "don't belong" here (usually after I've faced racism), though that's not the usual. It's difficult being very liberal and having traditional Indian parents ngl. :erm:

You're half Asian? What particular ethnicity, if you don't mind me asking? I assumed you were just white for some reason

pakistani

Most people dont realize, especially when im clean shaven.
You can be both.

It's called dual nationality.

I am both British and Nigerian (hold both passports)

This isn't strange, it is a reality of the commonwealth.

Now there is a difference.

So you need to clarify:

When you say Asian, are you referring to race or nationality?
Original post by drowzee

There are no Indian values, as there are no British values.

No collective can hold me to a prescribed set of values, I am an individual as are you.

Listen, you are either British or you are not British.

How 'integrated' you feel, doesn't change that.

Of course their is an intersection between race and nationality.

E.g. I am black (simply referring to the tone of my skin) and British and Nigerian (My nationality).

What does being Asian mean to you?
pakistani

Don't hide away from your heritage. Embrace it.

You are an individual.
pakistani

Oh I see. Yeah you didn't look half Pakistani you're old avatar
Original post by ThisIsReal
Don't hide away from your heritage. Embrace it.

You are an individual.

Which is exactly why i dont embrace it. i dont conform
Original post by drowzee

Haha yeah i get italian, spanish, greek, brasilian, sometimes indian with a beard but not pakistani
Original post by drowzee

Btw your avatar doesnt look indian!! haha

Quick Reply

Latest