The Student Room Group

Subjects to choose for A-levels

Hi, I am taking as levels and I'm supposed to choose subjects by now, but I am confused. Currently I'm studying maths, Physics, biology, chemistry, english, ict, arts, mandarin and history.
Which one should I take? Which one can I take with only selfstudy? Which one is useful? I am planning to major in PPE in university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jenblankz
Hi, I am taking as levels and I'm supposed to choose subjects by now, but I am confused. Currently I'm studying maths, Physics, biology, chemistry, english, ict, arts, mandarin and history.
Which one should I take? Which one can I take with only selfstudy? Which one is useful? I am planning to major in PPE in university.

...you're doing 9 AS levels?

If I were to choose 3 A levels for PPE I'd probably go with maths, history, and economics, but it really depends where your strengths lie; they don't have any formal requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)

Are you doing all of them in school at the moment?
Reply 3
English lit history mandarin
Reply 4
guys i think they mean which of the 9 GCSE subjects should they choose for AS levels, they aren't taking 9 AS levels lmao even by TSR standards thats a bit OTT

So, you are planning to study and to get a profession in the direction of medicine? if so, I advice you to choose Biology and Chemistry in any case, they are the most suitable subjects for that.
Reply 6

Well PPE stands for Philosophy, Politics and Economics...

So, I would recommend you do:

Mathematics
History
English Literature
Original post by AshEntropy

Mathematics
History
English Literature

Oh, is that so? I was wrong, very wrong then. In this case your recommended subjects were the better choice.
maths
history
mandarin
History, Maths, Mandarin and Physics I'd say.
Reply 10
Original post by george_c00per
History, Maths, Mandarin and Physics I'd say.

If you want to do PPE, consider doing PPE subjects. Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Choose 2 from them, and then perhaps do 2 facilitating subjects, so History, Maths or English.
for PPE I would advise choosing A Levels surrounding those 3 fields...

P - I would suggest taking Religious Studies (people think it is a "soft" subject, but many of the top Russell Group unis have it in their list of recommended subjects (such as LSE) due to the skills you learn from it, skills that are transferable to most if not all degrees and your future life in general)

P - Government and Politics would probably help here, however this is obviously not necessary. Maybe look at taking History as this can link well

E - Economics would clearly be a good choice, maybe Maths, or Physics if you find it particularly interesting

o **** waddup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 14
I mean A-levels.. I'm studying them since in my school it's a must to study all subjects?? But I need to choose which. Haha I'm not that smart to take nine..
Original post by Arima
guys i think they mean which of the 9 GCSE subjects should they choose for AS levels, they aren't taking 9 AS levels lmao even by TSR standards thats a bit OTT
Reply 15
he uni I want to go asks for 4a*, and to get a scholarship I have a feeling I might need more than that. Do you think adding biology and physics make a difference ?
Original post by memeeee
...you're doing 9 AS levels?

If I were to choose 3 A levels for PPE I'd probably go with maths, history, and economics, but it really depends where your strengths lie; they don't have any formal requirements.

Mathematics
History
English Literature
maths

history *and/or english lit

*if 'or' and not 'and', something else like french or economics or further maths or any other sensibly reputable subject.
Reply 17
I study all of them, but it's not necessary to take all
Original post by niv1234
Are you doing all of them in school at the moment?
he uni I want to go asks for 4a*, and to get a scholarship I have a feeling I might need more than that. Do you think adding biology and physics make a difference ?

I don't think anywhere, not even Oxbridge, asks for 4 A*...

What are your GCSE predicted grades? Which subjects do you enjoy the most?
Reply 19
I got 3a* in gcse (chinese 2nd language, chem and bio) and 2a (english and maths)... The 4a* is the requirement for a level not gcse...
Original post by memeeee
I don't think anywhere, not even Oxbridge, asks for 4 A*...

What are your GCSE predicted grades? Which subjects do you enjoy the most?

Quick Reply