The Student Room Group

New 9-1 Maths Mock

Hi, earlier this week I done a non calculator 9-1 maths paper- it was so hard! I feel so low, I'm in top set maths and I have average maths skills but it just real bothers me that I struggled with it (the rest of year 11's did too). can anyone help me?

Scroll to see replies

What's a 9-1 maths paper?
Original post by g._.k16
Hi, earlier this week I done a non calculator 9-1 maths paper- it was so hard! I feel so low, I'm in top set maths and I have average maths skills but it just real bothers me that I struggled with it (the rest of year 11's did too). can anyone help me?

Hi, I'm doing A level Maths at the moment and a lot of the stuff I studied last year is likely on your paper. Is there any particular area you feel you struggle with?
Original post by spectral_theory
What's a 9-1 maths paper?

It's the new GCSEs - they've replaced the A*-G system with 9-1 now
Not sure if this helps, I did the 9-1 paper too, and I study at one of the top ten ranked schools I'm also in set one and really struggled with this paper I would love to know what the calculators will be like! Don't worry too much after all it is better to make mistakes now:smile:
Thank you! I done the Edexcel paper and the calculator ones were soo much easier!

Original post by Gstarr131
Not sure if this helps, I did the 9-1 paper too, and I study at one of the top ten ranked schools I'm also in set one and really struggled with this paper I would love to know what the calculators will be like! Don't worry too much after all it is better to make mistakes now:smile:
Thank you, I understand maths quite well but I struggle to answer questions when they aren't so basic- word problems are where I am not strong.

Original post by FrenchNerd2
Hi, I'm doing A level Maths at the moment and a lot of the stuff I studied last year is likely on your paper. Is there any particular area you feel you struggle with?
Reply 7
Original post by g._.k16

I understand, I'm also struggling with the new specification and the reforms made by Michael Gove who was Education Secretary at the time is a bit ridiculous IMO and I don't like how it's been rushed in.

Also join the Year 11 thread chat here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4261768 - There's plenty on there ranting about this.
Original post by g._.k16
Thank you, I understand maths quite well but I struggle to answer questions when they aren't so basic- word problems are where I am not strong.

for me, I try to look for key words that help to determine what kind of Mathematics I need to use (like "rate of change" needing to use differentiation) or to draw diagrams
Original post by FrenchNerd2
for me, I try to look for key words that help to determine what kind of Mathematics I need to use (like "rate of change" needing to use differentiation) or to draw diagrams

I try to do the same, in class it works and I can do it. In an exam condition I cannot see what is needed from me, I underline just the part with the question mark and rearrange the question, but sometimes it is no use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by g._.k16
I try to do the same, in class it works and I can do it. In an exam condition I cannot see what is needed from me, I underline just the part with the question mark and rearrange the question, but sometimes it is no use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it might be to do with being in an exam situation rather than the Maths itself? The best thing to do is to do past papers (which I realise there aren't a lot)/similar questions under timed conditions to see how you cope with it. Otherwise there's not a lot you can do to cope with it unfortunately
Reply 11
Original post by g._.k16

I did the non calc today and had the same problem as you, I'm in top set and really struggled.

Have you done the calculator papers yet and if so what were the hard questions?
Reply 12
I did Edexcel too and it was super hard! I'm in a middle set so I found incredibly difficult to the point where I think I must've only answered about half the questions on each paper! The calculator papers were both marginally easier than the hellish non-calculator; what the hell were the government thinking? I suppose the only consolation for our year group is that we're all going through it together! I meanwhile am seriously contemplating doing the foundation...
Original post by eam0ss
I did Edexcel too and it was super hard! I'm in a middle set so I found incredibly difficult to the point where I think I must've only answered about half the questions on each paper! The calculator papers were both marginally easier than the hellish non-calculator; what the hell were the government thinking? I suppose the only consolation for our year group is that we're all going through it together! I meanwhile am seriously contemplating doing the foundation...

If it helps, the grade boundaries will likely be lower for you guys since the papers are likely gonna be too hard for the entire country. The same thing happened with my History since it's the new specification (I feel that's the only way I got an A)
Reply 14
I did a lot of past papers of the old specification and compared to the non calculator exam everything was 10 times harder! The exam questions were so difficult and phrased in such a confusing way; the rest of the year 11s felt the same too!
Reply 15
Original post by g._.k16

Same, but tbh the level 9s are given to the top percentile of the country, and if everybody finds it hard and the top ppl get, say, 80% then they (aka you) would get a nine! So I mean as long as you work at least as much as your peers then you shouldn't need to worry.
Anyone find out what was in paper three if you can remember questions and subjects thanks!
Reply 17
Does anyone remember any of the topics for Paper 1 maths 9-1 aqa I've got my mock soon!!
Original post by l9mya
Does anyone remember any of the topics for Paper 1 maths 9-1 aqa I've got my mock soon!!

Attempting to cheat is a bad idea. It will give you teachers incorrect information about your current state of readiness for the exams and may prevent them from providing you with the help you need to achieve your potential.
Original post by g._.k16

If it makes you feel any better, the person in charge of maths at Edexcel said this yesterday: "Rough analyses of the data seen so far suggest that all students have found the mock papers challenging, the non-calculator ones in particular."

Quick Reply

Latest