The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeuroJanine
-

Good post, just another thing to add is that some applicants can do year 2 entry for some courses, such as those with A-levels or Scottish Advanced Highers.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by DarkEnergy
Good post, just another thing to add is that some applicants can do year 2 entry for some courses, such as those with A-levels or Scottish Advanced Highers.

Or in my case an HND. I did a GSVQ level 3 at college as well
Haha, what airport would you go to?
They're not really worried as it would give me a chance to become more 'independent', and going by train won't be that expensive especially with my railcard.

Ahhh that's handy! With a railcard for me it's £130 for a SINGLE! 😭
Wonder if they ever come down in price?!

I'd have to fly Cardiff to Edinburgh.
But cardiff airport isnt really near me :frown:
Original post by tyunnos

Ah damn, where else have you applied mate?
Ah damn, where else have you applied mate?

Oxford- REJECTED. lol
UCL- yet to hear
Bristol and Birmingham :smile:
Original post by tyunnos

UCL- yet to hear
Bristol and Birmingham :smile:

Congrats on the offers, and good luck with UCL. What's your top choice, and what course have you applied for?
Congrats on the offers, and good luck with UCL. What's your top choice, and what course have you applied for?

Thank you!
History and between UCL (if I were to get an offer) and St A!

Is St A your top?
Original post by tyunnos
Thank you!
History and between UCL (if I were to get an offer) and St A!

Is St A your top?

Haha that's funny, it's between UCL and St A me too, but for Physics. Got an offer from UCL but still waiting to hear back from St A.

I've got a fairly low offer from Edinburgh so I'm definitely planning on insuring that. Also got two offers from Warwick and Nottingham but not really interested in them at all tbh.
Haha that's funny, it's between UCL and St A me too, but for Physics. Got an offer from UCL but still waiting to hear back from St A.

I've got a fairly low offer from Edinburgh so I'm definitely planning on insuring that. Also got two offers from Warwick and Nottingham but not really interested in them at all tbh.

Oh how strange! We are waiting for the opposites!

Not sure if St A is too small or if London is too big 😂😂

Hahahaha that's fair enough!
I regret not applying to Edinburgh- it was A*AA so no thanks.

Ahh too much maths for me ;-)
Original post by tyunnos
Not sure if St A is too small or if London is too big 😂😂

Hahahaha that's fair enough!
I regret not applying to Edinburgh- it was A*AA so no thanks.

Ahh too much maths for me ;-)

lmao, exact same thoughts. I'm from a fairly small town but St A is still tiny compared to it, but IDK if I'd be overwhelmed by such a large city.

Haha, history would be way too much reading and writing for me. STEM student no literate well.

Which university are you planning to insure?
Original post by tyunnos

That's odd; I can usually get train tickets for about £60 from Kent to St Andrews (so £40 with a railcard).
Anybody know the St Andrews post offer day date?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScottishFold
Anybody know the St Andrews post offer day date?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know they don't do any. They visiting day dates they gave me in my offer letter were exactly the same as the main ones :frown:
Original post by NeuroJanine
For Non - scottish and International students, I will try to explain things.

MAs at the "Ancient" Scottish Universities = StA, Aberdeen, Glasgow. Edinburgh and Dundee all have MAs for their art degrees. I seems to be a quirk with the scottish system as our degrees are 4 years as opposed to the English 3 years, our 1st year is akin to A - levels.

Integrated masters like MEng, MChem, and MPhys are 5 years due to the extra year of the courses up here. You follow the course the same as BSc counterparts for the first three years, then your last two years focus on the masters aspect. Another odd quirk with an ancient uni is the designated degrees. When at these universities, you can leave these unis with a 3 year degree as a stand alone degree.

Hope this helps

Thank you this really helped! I am applying for physics at Edinburgh and St Andrews and I am currently in the IB. I have submitted my application, is it possible to transfer to second year? I don't fancy repeating a year!

Thanks!
Reply 374
Post offer days are run by some individual departments. Computer Science will run a couple on Saturdays, probably one early March one early April.
Original post by jeremiah0816
Thank you this really helped! I am applying for physics at Edinburgh and St Andrews and I am currently in the IB. I have submitted my application, is it possible to transfer to second year? I don't fancy repeating a year!

Thanks!

Hi, I've also applied for Physics at those two unis (only got an offer from Edin though) and I asked admissions about this - they said once you get to the university you can decide whether to do year 1 or year 2 entry :smile:
Course Applying: Psychology
GCSE:1A*,1A,4Bs,3Cs (they were rubbish)
AS/A2 Subjects: Psychology, Sociology, English lit and media
A2 results: A*AAA
Super-curriculars: Work experience at UCL ear institute, played at London virgin marathon (part of music group), volunteered at over 50s bowling club, wider reading.

I got an offer!
Have any applicants from England applied for year 2 entry? I did and I read something last night which made me think I needed to fill another form in too? I applied for Physics :smile:
Original post by Andrella
Course Applying: Psychology
GCSE:1A*,1A,4Bs,3Cs (they were rubbish)
AS/A2 Subjects: Psychology, Sociology, English lit and media
A2 results: A*AAA
Super-curriculars: Work experience at UCL ear institute, played at London virgin marathon (part of music group), volunteered at over 50s bowling club, wider reading.

I got an offer!

Hi I'm applying for the same course as you can I ask if your English applicant like me?
Original post by Kalahari99
Has anyone here applied/got an offer for Classics?

I've applied, but still haven't heard back /:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending