The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgraduate Applicants for 2017 Start

Hi,

As far as I know, there's no thread dedicated just for postgraduate applicants, so I decided to start a new discussion.

I'm a final year student from the University of Manchester, studying Economics (BA) and currently attaining a 2:1 grade. I will be applying for two courses, Msc Finance (Corporate Finance) and Msc Banking and Finance. I will most likely send my application before January 2017.

I understand that KCL has very "vague" requirements for their postgraduate courses, they mainly state that they only require at least a 2:1 (65%) and a personal statement. They make no points on work experience or GMATs.

Feel free to talk about what you guys are applying for, what you plan to include in the applications or any information gained from talking with the KCL admissions team.

Scroll to see replies

I actually submitted my grad application for King's in early October before their entire online infrastructure collapsed, so I have no idea when to expect anything.

I'm a student in the U.S. currently getting a B.A. in Public Policy and a second B.A. in Markets & Culture, maintaining a GPA 3.3+ which at King's is equivalent to a 2:1. As of October 7th, I've applied for the MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets and the MSc Conflict, Security, and Development.

I haven't heard back from them except to say that they have approved my documents for my PEoEM app. After their website was down for a few weeks, I got the notification that most of my documents had been wiped out so I had to re-upload them and I am sure that has contributed to some of the delay in getting a decision. I got the notification saying that my documents have been accepted maybe about 2 weeks ago now, give or take a few days.

Needless to say, I'm getting ANTSY AF. I have some internship experience and actually worked and lived in Sydney, AUS this past summer so I'm hoping that pushes my app over the edge into acceptance but for some reason I'm incredibly worried. Probably need to avoid websites like this!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ExpatMustang
I actually submitted my grad application for King's in early October before their entire online infrastructure collapsed, so I have no idea when to expect anything.

I'm a student in the U.S. currently getting a B.A. in Public Policy and a second B.A. in Markets & Culture, maintaining a GPA 3.3+ which at King's is equivalent to a 2:1. As of October 7th, I've applied for the MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets and the MSc Conflict, Security, and Development.

I haven't heard back from them except to say that they have approved my documents for my PEoEM app. After their website was down for a few weeks, I got the notification that most of my documents had been wiped out so I had to re-upload them and I am sure that has contributed to some of the delay in getting a decision. I got the notification saying that my documents have been accepted maybe about 2 weeks ago now, give or take a few days.

Needless to say, I'm getting ANTSY AF. I have some internship experience and actually worked and lived in Sydney, AUS this past summer so I'm hoping that pushes my app over the edge into acceptance but for some reason I'm incredibly worried. Probably need to avoid websites like this!

Hey, thanks for sharing :smile: I'm sending mine in a few days, how long was your personal statement? Mine's about a page and a half (I reckon around 4500 characters)
No problem! I've been looking for a similar thread and am glad I found this one - hopefully more people will chime in later on as well!

I kept mine at exactly 4000 characters which kept it at a page! I wasn't feeling daring enough to go over the recommended limit. At the same time, not being a U.K. citizen I don't know as much about King's or how lenient their admissions procedures are, which is why I was hesitant to say more than they recommended. I did find it curious that they allow you to go over the recommended character limit by just uploading a document, which I wound up doing for my PEoEM personal statement (though it was still only like 4050 words). I was definitely disappointed though that I didn't get a chance to say more!
Reply 4
Hi guys! It's good to see some other KCL postgrad applicants around here :smile:

I applied in early October for two MAs of the Department of War Studies and last week I got offers for both of them! So, for any kind of information or questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Also, I just opened this other thread for potential students in the War Studies Dept's class of 2017/18, even though I put it in another section (and I'm not sure it was a good move). I'll leave the link here if you don't mind :smile: : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4444508
Reply 5
Original post by Spuyi
Hi guys! It's good to see some other KCL postgrad applicants around here :smile:

I applied in early October for two MAs of the Department of War Studies and last week I got offers for both of them! So, for any kind of information or questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Also, I just opened this other thread for potential students in the War Studies Dept's class of 2017/18, even though I put it in another section (and I'm not sure it was a good move). I'll leave the link here if you don't mind :smile: : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4444508

Hi, thanks for sharing! Just a question, if you don't mind, were your two applications within the same subject area?

My personal statements got 6100 characters with space, I'm not sure if I should reduce it aha
Reply 6
Original post by Kodiak123
Hi, thanks for sharing! Just a question, if you don't mind, were your two applications within the same subject area?

My personal statements got 6100 characters with space, I'm not sure if I should reduce it aha

Yeah they're actually very similar courses :smile: and don't be worried about the length of your PS! Mine (actually both of them) were even longer and I was fine in the end :h:
Original post by Spuyi

Hey! My CS&D program is in the War Studies Department, so I might see you next year (if I get in that is)! One of my LoRs didn't get submitted until like two weeks ago so that probably has delayed my application process as well. I'm hoping to hear back from them within the next few weeks as I applied back in October, but I have no idea if the process is any different for non-UK/EU students. King's is my number 1 program at the moment and hope they like me as much.:crossedf:

What programs did you apply for within the War Studies Department?
Reply 8
Hey! My CS&D program is in the War Studies Department, so I might see you next year (if I get in that is)! One of my LoRs didn't get submitted until like two weeks ago so that probably has delayed my application process as well. I'm hoping to hear back from them within the next few weeks as I applied back in October, but I have no idea if the process is any different for non-UK/EU students. King's is my number 1 program at the moment and hope they like me as much.:crossedf:

What programs did you apply for within the War Studies Department?

Hey there :smile: hopefully we can see each other next September! I applied for the MA in International Relations and the one in International Conflict Studies and I'll have to pick just one of course, unfortunately :frown: leaning more towards ICS however!

Good luck with your application! :crossedf: Where do you come from?
Reply 9
Original post by Spuyi
Yeah they're actually very similar courses :smile: and don't be worried about the length of your PS! Mine (actually both of them) were even longer and I was fine in the end :h:

Thanks very much for response! Really helpful information haha, congrats on your offers :smile:
Did you use the same personal statements for both applications?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Kodiak123
Thanks very much for response! Really helpful information haha, congrats on your offers :smile:
Did you use the same personal statements for both applications?

Thx :smile:
Nope, I wrote two separate personal statements, making a case for both applications, and I think that might have really worked in my favor
Original post by Spuyi
Hey there :smile: hopefully we can see each other next September! I applied for the MA in International Relations and the one in International Conflict Studies and I'll have to pick just one of course, unfortunately :frown: leaning more towards ICS however!

Good luck with your application! :crossedf: Where do you come from?

If it were me I would lean towards ICS as well, it definitely has a more interesting subject matter! I go to school in Dallas, Texas, so I'm in the U.S.! I'm applying to a few schools here as well but it's just so much cheaper to go to school in the U.K., it's not even funny. Are you in the U.K.?

On another note, you guys are making me nervous about the personal statements!! Mine was only 4,000 characters :eek:, I thought they would get annoyed if I submitted anything any longer than that ughhhhhh
Reply 12
If it were me I would lean towards ICS as well, it definitely has a more interesting subject matter! I go to school in Dallas, Texas, so I'm in the U.S.! I'm applying to a few schools here as well but it's just so much cheaper to go to school in the U.K., it's not even funny. Are you in the U.K.?

On another note, you guys are making me nervous about the personal statements!! Mine was only 4,000 characters :eek:, I thought they would get annoyed if I submitted anything any longer than that ughhhhhh

In regards to your personal statement, I wouldn't be worried if you have written at least a page. It's good to keep it as clear and concise as possible, it's just that I'm not good at it :biggrin:

The most important thing I believe is what you put in it: it should show your interest in the course and Uni and that you are well aware of the importance and impact of your choice, in addition to related work/extracurricular experience and so forth :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey there :smile: I applied to MA International Conflict Studies around 3 weeks ago. Are all of your submitted documents marked as "ok"? A few days ago I got an e-mail from KIng's notifying me about updates on my application. But sadly, the only change was that my references changed to "Reference format OK for assessment" and a personal statement to "Personal statement meets needs for assessment". And that's it! My transcripts are still marked as "received".

Should I wait until all my docs are "Ok" or could my application be already moved to the department?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spuyi
I'm Italian and finishing my undergraduate studies in Rome, though recently I'm spending quite a lot of time in the UK :smile:

In regards to your personal statement, I wouldn't be worried if you have written at least a page. It's good to keep it as clear and concise as possible, it's just that I'm not good at it :biggrin:

The most important thing I believe is what you put in it: it should show your interest in the course and Uni and that you are well aware of the importance and impact of your choice, in addition to related work/extracurricular experience and so forth :smile:

Yeah, the general structure I followed was one paragraph about how I got interested in the field, two paragraphs that discuss two of my research projects in some depth and how they would influence my studies at King's, and then a final paragraph about why I want this specific program at King's and how I hope to use it to move into a career.

I didn't really talk about my work experiences, mainly because they've been limited to summer internships. I included them in my application under the employment section, but that was it really. I felt as though my research spoke to my interests a little more!

What IS annoying is that my résumé / CV was deleted from the application when their systems went down and I sent it to them to correct and they said they received it, but I have yet to see it reappear on my application page. It's probably the single most important document I have to offer them as it details all of my research and work/extracurricular experience. Hopefully they can get that straightened out!
Original post by ollesu
Hey there :smile: I applied to MA International Conflict Studies around 3 weeks ago. Are all of your submitted documents marked as "ok"? A few days ago I got an e-mail from KIng's notifying me about updates on my application. But sadly, the only change was that my references changed to "Reference format OK for assessment" and a personal statement to "Personal statement meets needs for assessment". And that's it! My transcripts are still marked as "received".

Should I wait until all my docs are "Ok" or could my application be already moved to the department?

I have 2 applications in 2 different departments, but one of them is also in the War Studies Department (where the ICS MA is). So far, for that application, they haven't yet marked any of my documents as having being processed, though they've had them for about two months. For my other application that's in the IDEV Institute, a few weeks ago I got a notification just like you that said "______ format OK for assessment." I could be wrong as I'm just speculating, but I don't think that it get's passed on to the department for review until all of the documents have been marked as "OK for assessment." It probably wouldn't hurt to call though if you're feeling worried about it!
Reply 16
What IS annoying is that my résumé / CV was deleted from the application when their systems went down and I sent it to them to correct and they said they received it, but I have yet to see it reappear on my application page.

This also happened to me well before their IT breakdown. Try and send it again via the "view and send messages" section and wait for their response, that's what I did :wink:
Original post by Spuyi
This also happened to me well before their IT breakdown. Try and send it again via the "view and send messages" section and wait for their response, that's what I did :wink:

Yeah, that's what I did about a week or so ago! The admissions officer said that they received it, but I haven't seen it added back into my application.
Reply 18
Yeah, that's what I did about a week or so ago! The admissions officer said that they received it, but I haven't seen it added back into my application.

I think you should be fine in any case then :smile:
Hi! Just applied to cultural and creative industries and Arts and cultural management MAs !! Anyone else out there?

Quick Reply

Latest