The Student Room Group

Cardiff or UWE 2017 Entry? (Computer Science)

I applied for 2017 entry and received offers from Cardiff at ABB and UWE for 128 tariff points (About the same) I prefer UWE's campus and course but Cardiff is a "Better" univeristy according to the Leauge Tables. Cardiff is a more prestigious univeristy and is also apart of the russell group so research is better. Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I'm doing computer science at Cardiff uni if you want any information about that. UWE was also one of my choices but personally I'm glad I decided on Cardiff
Reply 3
I am potentially looking at both of these Universities for computer science. What was your reasoning for choosing Cardiff? Did you know how to program before you went there? How many contact hours a week do you get? What is the help like if you are struggling with anything? What is the nightlife like?
Reply 4
Original post by Devify
I'm doing computer science at Cardiff uni if you want any information about that. UWE was also one of my choices but personally I'm glad I decided on Cardiff

I am potentially looking at both of these Universities for computer science. What was your reasoning for choosing Cardiff? Did you know how to program before you went there? How many contact hours a week do you get? What is the help like if you are struggling with anything? What is the nightlife like?
Reply 5
Original post by Conran

The main two reasons I chose Cardiff were the location and modules. Location is obvious, I just liked the area more and thought Cardiff would be nicer to live in. For the modules, I did some research into what modules you do at both and found the topics and structure more interesting in Cardiff. It just had more choice in the optional modules so you could do what you really wanted.

I knew some programming. I had basics in a couple of languages so I knew how it works in general. We're doing python first year and I had no experience with that but it's interesting and there's a lot of help. Plus you start from the literal basics.

The contact hours are around 16 hours a week. 6 of them are lab ones. 1 is always an optional surgery one and then 2 others are depending on the week. So basically only come in if you're struggling with a certain topic. Wednesdays always finish by 12 for everyone if you do have lessons on Wednesday. So you get a bit of a mid week break. All lectures are also recorded so if you have a cold or something you can just watch the lecture from home later.

As I mentioned in the contact hours, there is at least one surgery lecture where you can come in and ask for help. Then depending on how quickly we covered a set topic, there will usually be another 1 or 2 extra ones instead of lectures. In most labs you will be just given number of tasks and there will be PhD students and that module lecturer walking around helping with anything you need. Other students don't mind helping at all and in groups of 8-10 we get older year mentors who you can talk to to get help. The lecturers also don't mind helping out of the learning hours and if you're really struggling you can talk to them and they will arrange an hour session in lab to help you out. Either with them or one of the PhD students. So there's help everywhere if you need it.

The nightlife is pretty good although I don't go out much but there's stuff for everyone. Computer society has bar crawls and pub meet ups at the uni pub constantly. We're having a Christmas dinner together too. There is a student night or similar at some club every night. There are society meet ups if you're not that into drinking. There's airsoft society if you like shooting people :wink: tea society if you prefer going out for tea :biggrin: brawl which is board gaming society and they meet up in a pub to play boardgames and card games together. Basically a lot of stuff to do for everyone.

A plus you may not heard of is the uni jobshop. The university often has short jobs they need doing or other companies asking for 1night help or similar. The uni may have a job like stuffing envelopes or just guiding people at their event and will pay 8.25 an hour. The stadiums and places like that also hire students when there's something big going on like rugby matches or famous bands come to perform. It's really good for students because they pay well and there's no major commitment. So one week you're free and doing fine with coursework and lectures, grab a job for a day. Another week you're swamped, you don't have a job to worry about.
Reply 6
Original post by Devify
The main two reasons I chose Cardiff were the location and modules. Location is obvious, I just liked the area more and thought Cardiff would be nicer to live in. For the modules, I did some research into what modules you do at both and found the topics and structure more interesting in Cardiff. It just had more choice in the optional modules so you could do what you really wanted.

I knew some programming. I had basics in a couple of languages so I knew how it works in general. We're doing python first year and I had no experience with that but it's interesting and there's a lot of help. Plus you start from the literal basics.

The contact hours are around 16 hours a week. 6 of them are lab ones. 1 is always an optional surgery one and then 2 others are depending on the week. So basically only come in if you're struggling with a certain topic. Wednesdays always finish by 12 for everyone if you do have lessons on Wednesday. So you get a bit of a mid week break. All lectures are also recorded so if you have a cold or something you can just watch the lecture from home later.

As I mentioned in the contact hours, there is at least one surgery lecture where you can come in and ask for help. Then depending on how quickly we covered a set topic, there will usually be another 1 or 2 extra ones instead of lectures. In most labs you will be just given number of tasks and there will be PhD students and that module lecturer walking around helping with anything you need. Other students don't mind helping at all and in groups of 8-10 we get older year mentors who you can talk to to get help. The lecturers also don't mind helping out of the learning hours and if you're really struggling you can talk to them and they will arrange an hour session in lab to help you out. Either with them or one of the PhD students. So there's help everywhere if you need it.

The nightlife is pretty good although I don't go out much but there's stuff for everyone. Computer society has bar crawls and pub meet ups at the uni pub constantly. We're having a Christmas dinner together too. There is a student night or similar at some club every night. There are society meet ups if you're not that into drinking. There's airsoft society if you like shooting people :wink: tea society if you prefer going out for tea :biggrin: brawl which is board gaming society and they meet up in a pub to play boardgames and card games together. Basically a lot of stuff to do for everyone.

A plus you may not heard of is the uni jobshop. The university often has short jobs they need doing or other companies asking for 1night help or similar. The uni may have a job like stuffing envelopes or just guiding people at their event and will pay 8.25 an hour. The stadiums and places like that also hire students when there's something big going on like rugby matches or famous bands come to perform. It's really good for students because they pay well and there's no major commitment. So one week you're free and doing fine with coursework and lectures, grab a job for a day. Another week you're swamped, you don't have a job to worry about.

Thanks so much thats helped a lot! I have a couple more questions if you wouldnt mind answering as well..
How much maths is involved in the course (I really enjoy maths ahha)?
Are you in halls of residence and if so what are they like?
How many people are on the course roughly?
Reply 7
Original post by Conran
Thanks so much thats helped a lot! I have a couple more questions if you wouldnt mind answering as well..
How much maths is involved in the course (I really enjoy maths ahha)?
Are you in halls of residence and if so what are they like?
How many people are on the course roughly?

Maths depend on the module. If you really like maths even at A level I suggest you look into AI and visual computing. Those require work with algorithms and math in general.

Over the basic modules we do some maths. At the moment, mostly associated with programming so probability, logic, permutations, combinations etc.

I'm renting a flat privately but I can easily ask some of the guys if you have any specific questions. Halls are really good if you like going out tho, most people end up friends with their flatmates and constantly go out together. Also considering we're based in queens buildings, most computing people end up in the 2 halls right around the corner so you'd probably end up with at least some people doing the same course.

We started with 195 people during the induction. I think it went down to around 175 at the moment since people realised it's not as easy as just knowing how to use a computer. Don't worry about having to know everyone, most people know me cause I'm generally a helpful person but I probably only know like 10 people by name and maybe another 10 I occasionally talk to :biggrin:

If you end up going to Cardiff usually on Wednesdays there's a computing club. It's open to all people doing computer science and we get to play around with projects we come up with so you can learn some stuff from older years about the subjects you're interested in. There are also guest speakers and a budget so we have the money to be able to run a raspberry pi class, have vr stuff things like that. So if you're really into something but need some guidance you can suggest it to people.
Original post by Conran

hey , which uni did u end up going to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending