The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

2017 Applicants - Ask us Anything!

Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2017 UCAS applications, and some of you will have already received offers, so here's a thread so you can ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away! We will be checking this thread most weekdays so hopefully you wont have to wait too long for a response.

Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could anyone tell me what the postgrad halls are like? Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room? And is it fairly quiet?

Thanks! (:
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by CadKate
Could anyone tell me what the postgrad halls are like? Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room? And is it fairly quiet?

Thanks! (:

Hi CadKate,

We tend to keep the post grads together so yes they will be fairly quiet... or quieter than the undergrads who tend to be a bit younger.

With regards to mini-fridges, unfortunately you are not allowed your own one in your room (fire regulations). If you require on for health reasons i.e to keep insulin in, we can provide one for you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Cheers,
Keir
Reply 3
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi CadKate,

We tend to keep the post grads together so yes they will be fairly quiet... or quieter than the undergrads who tend to be a bit younger.

With regards to mini-fridges, unfortunately you are not allowed your own one in your room (fire regulations). If you require on for health reasons i.e to keep insulin in, we can provide one for you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Cheers,
Keir

Hi guys, I have a question similar question to Kate's, relating to post-grad halls. My understanding is microwaves allowed in the flat's shared kitchens, but you need to provide your own. If this is the case, are they similarly allowed in the studio flats? Separate to this, I'm assuming things like drip-coffee makers and cooling fans are fine, as they're not for heating/cooking?

Also, how are the laundry facilities handled these days and is there any things to be aware? To provide some context, I'm an alumnus ('01-'05) and stayed in halls twice (Bryson/Smith) and often found the machines didn't work correctly; taking your credit or money but not necessarily operating.
Original post by Codger
Hi guys, I have a question similar question to Kate's, relating to post-grad halls. My understanding is microwaves allowed in the flat's shared kitchens, but you need to provide your own. If this is the case, are they similarly allowed in the studio flats? Separate to this, I'm assuming things like drip-coffee makers and cooling fans are fine, as they're not for heating/cooking?

Also, how are the laundry facilities handled these days and is there any things to be aware? To provide some context, I'm an alumnus ('01-'05) and stayed in halls twice (Bryson/Smith) and often found the machines didn't work correctly; taking your credit or money but not necessarily operating.

Hi Codger,

Thanks for the questions, yes microwaves, coffee machines etc are allowed in the shared living space (kitchen). This also extends to the studio flats.

With regards to laundry facilities, we have been running a rolling refurbishment of the halls so there shouldn't be those issues anymore and in our new halls they are operated by a smart card rather than coin operated.

Hope this has helped but feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions about the uni/course.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Reply 5
Hi Codger,

Thanks for the questions, yes microwaves, coffee machines etc are allowed in the shared living space (kitchen). This also extends to the studio flats.

With regards to laundry facilities, we have been running a rolling refurbishment of the halls so there shouldn't be those issues anymore and in our new halls they are operated by a smart card rather than coin operated.

Hope this has helped but feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions about the uni/course.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:

Cheers, Keir. No other questions at this time. I have a course in mind already and just considering my options before I pull the trigger and apply.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Codger
Cheers, Keir. No other questions at this time. I have a course in mind already and just considering my options before I pull the trigger and apply.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, good luck with the decision making... I know it's not easy to make that final decision but if you need anything you know where we are.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 7
Hi I'm applying to Chemical Engineering (MEng). Is there an interview process for being accepted to this course?

Thanks
Reply 8
Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2017 UCAS applications, and some of you will have already received offers, so here's a thread so you can ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away! We will be checking this thread most weekdays so hopefully you wont have to wait too long for a response.

Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole)

Hiya got a few questions to ask

1. I'm doing Meng Civil Engineering, what can i expect the average day to look like?

2. How is student car parking like?

3. Can anyone join a sports club and is there a fee for it?

4. Are students given the chance to go aborad to the Dubai/ Malaysia campuses?

5. Are there any after lecture periods where students can interact directly with the lecturers?

6. How are the public computer facilities like?
Original post by Ali.R99
Hiya got a few questions to ask

1. I'm doing Meng Civil Engineering, what can i expect the average day to look like?

2. How is student car parking like?

3. Can anyone join a sports club and is there a fee for it?

4. Are students given the chance to go aborad to the Dubai/ Malaysia campuses?

5. Are there any after lecture periods where students can interact directly with the lecturers?

6. How are the public computer facilities like?

Hi Ali,

I'll do my best to answer your questions, if you have any more just get back in touch :smile:

1. Days will be varied, filled with lectures/labs and tutorials. You should expect about 20 hours of class time per week.

2. There is 380 of parkland campus on the Edinburgh Campus so plenty parking for students.

3. Anyone can join sports clubs but you have to have a membership for the sports centre. Sports centre membership is £155 for the academic year (September-May). Once you have a membership there is sometimes a joining fee for the club. They range from £5-£80 depending on what sport, this pays for your kit and coaching etc.

4. You can definitely go to Dubai or Malaysia or both! You can only spend maximum of 1 academic year away but can decide where you want to go and for how long! We call this inter-campus transfer. Exams are exactly the same in all campuses.

5. Lecturers are very approachable, so you can head over to their office if you have any questions about the material and you will get plenty time in tutorials to ask any additional questions you might have.

6. There is computers in the Library but a lot of our students have there own laptop because you can get wifi pretty much anywhere on campus.

Hope this has helped,
Cheers,
Keir
Reply 10
Thanks for your response, Keir.

I have a couple other questions, if you don't mind. Is the sports centre membership what you need to access gym facilities (cardio / weights) or is that something separate?

Also, I have read elsewhere that the closest grocery store is about 30-35 minutes by bus, or if you walk, there's a Tesco about 25 minutes away. That is completely reasonable to me - just wondering if these estimates sound right to you? I have also heard that some stores do deliveries to campus - do you know how much extra it would cost to have groceries delivered?

Thanks again!
Original post by CadKate
Thanks for your response, Keir.

I have a couple other questions, if you don't mind. Is the sports centre membership what you need to access gym facilities (cardio / weights) or is that something separate?

Also, I have read elsewhere that the closest grocery store is about 30-35 minutes by bus, or if you walk, there's a Tesco about 25 minutes away. That is completely reasonable to me - just wondering if these estimates sound right to you? I have also heard that some stores do deliveries to campus - do you know how much extra it would cost to have groceries delivered?

Thanks again!

HI CadKate,

The sports centre membership gets you access to the gym, squash courts, basketball courts etc. We also run over 80 fitness classes per week which are available with the membership with no extra cost!

Timings for distance to shops seem about right to me, I reckon Tesco is more like 30-35 mins walk but its close anyway! I regularly see Asda and Tesco (other supermarkets are available!) vans on campus delivering groceries so it is definitely possible however I am not sure about the extra cost unfortunately.

We do have a little convenience store on campus for all your essentials so you are never stuck :smile:.

If you have more questions just get back to me, its what I am here for :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by trouto
Hi I'm applying to Chemical Engineering (MEng). Is there an interview process for being accepted to this course?

Thanks

Hi trouto,

Sorry I completely missed your question...

There is no formal interview process for admissions on to this course. We will invite you to an Applicant Visit Day and you will have the opportunity to speak with your academics but it isn't a selection interview.

If you have any other questions please just give me a shout.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 13
Will there be any applicants days?
Original post by trouto
Will there be any applicants days?

Hi Trouto,

Yes, as Keir said - you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day once the offers have gone out.

Cheers

Sophie
Reply 15
When will offers for mEng chemical engineering be sent out?
Thanks
Original post by euan129
When will offers for mEng chemical engineering be sent out?
Thanks

Hi Euan,

We are working on them all the time, it depends on when you applied. Basically the application comes to us from UCAS and is then sent on to the admissions tutor in the department. They will probably be reading your personal statement as we speak.

Some admissions tutors wait til the 15th of January deadline to see all applications together, so hopefully you wont be waiting too much longer.

If you have any other questions for us please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Cheers,
Keir
Hi,

I received an unconditional for Bsc Computer Science (Software Engineering), i got informed that if i met a certain criteria i will be offered a chance to study Meng in Software Engineering after year 3.

I was just wondering if you are able to specify what would be required to be given this opportunity as i am really interested in studying the Meng course and did initially apply for it.

Also if people who are studying the Meng course don't do as well as the Bsc students will they be forced to move down, or can they continue?
Reply 18
Hi I've received an unconditional offer from Heriot-watt which im so happy about! Was just wondering if there's opportunities to study abroad for part of the course or any field trips for Construction Project Management or Urban planning and Property Development?
Original post by AmaanAkram
Hi,

I received an unconditional for Bsc Computer Science (Software Engineering), i got informed that if i met a certain criteria i will be offered a chance to study Meng in Software Engineering after year 3.

I was just wondering if you are able to specify what would be required to be given this opportunity as i am really interested in studying the Meng course and did initially apply for it.

Also if people who are studying the Meng course don't do as well as the Bsc students will they be forced to move down, or can they continue?

Hi Amaan,

Thanks for getting in touch, congrats on the Unconditional!! :banana:
Don't worry if you haven't applied for the MEng course, you can switch into it later on, you have to be performing well to stay in the MEng or move into the MEng. Basically if you are doing well the option is open to do the additional year, if you are scraping by you will probably finish with the Bsc.

Hope this has helped, any other questions just fire away :smile:
Cheers,
Keir

Quick Reply

Latest