The Student Room Group

16 year old working 9 and a half hours a day

Dm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I work 8:30-6:30 sometimes so that's 10 hours and have done since I was 16, I didn't think it was illegal?
Original post by Anonymous20000
I'm 16 and I got my first job last month, I do weekends, Saturday and Sunday, but I work 9 and a half hour a day, is this legal? I was told today that it's legal if I don't say anything about it but surely my workplace should know that anyone under 18 can't work more than 8 hours a day. I work 9 till half 6, sometimes 9-8 and occasionally the Friday 6-9

Get proof that you actually work that long then blackmail them for extra money (when you decide to quit) to keep you quiet.
Original post by gxsellef
I work 8:30-6:30 sometimes so that's 10 hours and have done since I was 16, I didn't think it was illegal?

It's illegal.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/young-people/young-people-and-employment/
Do you work in a corner shop or something?
Reply 6

I don't get rest breaks every 4.5 hours either so that's illegal too whoops
I'm 16 and I got my first job last month, I do weekends, Saturday and Sunday, but I work 9 and a half hour a day, is this legal? I was told today that it's legal if I don't say anything about it but surely my workplace should know that anyone under 18 can't work more than 8 hours a day. I work 9 till half 6, sometimes 9-8 and occasionally the Friday 6-9

Yeah it's illegal for someone under 18 to work more than 8 hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

I'm pretty sure that's illegal working hours for part time.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I'm pretty sure that's illegal working hours for part time.

It's illegal for under 18's to do that many hours. I'm over 18 and I'm a uni student with a part time job, I usually work anywhere between 16-28 hours in term time, and do more hours in the holidays :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is illegal for an under 18 to work for more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week, even if the under 18 wishes to work more than these hours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending