The Student Room Group

Choosing my A Level Subjects

Hello.
I am currently in year 11 and I have been asked by my school to apply for 6th form. The subjects that I am planning on studying in 6th form at this current point in time are: English literature, geography, business studies, and philosophy and ethics. When it comes to university, I will probably study something that has to do with geography, such as geology, but I am still not completely sure about that yet. Now, my actual questions are: Do these subjects seem alright? Do they have any link, so will they compliment each other in any way? Will universities like these subjects? Are any of these subjects too hard? And lastly, what potential jobs could I get with these subjects? I would also appreciate any general information on these courses. I understand that I have asked too many questions, but I have only 5 day to hand my application in so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Any information at all would help. Thank you.
Original post by Shfzzz78
Hello.
I am currently in year 11 and I have been asked by my school to apply for 6th form. The subjects that I am planning on studying in 6th form at this current point in time are: English literature, geography, business studies, and philosophy and ethics. When it comes to university, I will probably study something that has to do with geography, such as geology, but I am still not completely sure about that yet. Now, my actual questions are: Do these subjects seem alright? Do they have any link, so will they compliment each other in any way? Will universities like these subjects? Are any of these subjects too hard? And lastly, what potential jobs could I get with these subjects? I would also appreciate any general information on these courses. I understand that I have asked too many questions, but I have only 5 day to hand my application in so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Any information at all would help. Thank you.

Hiya,

Your subject choices look good as you have good variety, the only thing I would say is that they are all quite essay/coursework heavy which can bring quite a heavy workload.

If you did want to do geology you would need to do another science based subject or maths (which counts as a science) and at some unis you need 2 science based subjects. This might sway some of your decisions/future decisions. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

Your subject choices look good as you have good variety, the only thing I would say is that they are all quite essay/coursework heavy which can bring quite a heavy workload.

If you did want to do geology you would need to do another science based subject or maths (which counts as a science) and at some unis you need 2 science based subjects. This might sway some of your decisions/future decisions. :smile:

Thanks for the answer. I hate science and maths, so if I need to study them at a levels to do geology at university then I just wont study geology. And anyways that was just a thought of a geography based subject that I could do, I wasn't actually planning on doing it. With my subjects, what good geography based courses do you think I could study at university, and what well payed jobs would your said courses allow me to get in the future?
Original post by Shfzzz78
Hello.

Those subjects sound pretty decent.
Id just double check on unis websites to check the courses you are thinking of to see what subjects they may require, but i think you have the main one- geography anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest