The Student Room Group

JLR degree apprenticeship

I currently study A Level Economics, English Literature and Sociology. I am predicted ABC. I have only recently been interested in going down the apprenticeship route with JLR and so never picked A level maths and sciences.

If i do achieve these reaults in my current A Levels would i still be able to do this apprenticeship (got a B ingcse maths along with Bs and Cs in higher Sciences)? What types could i do if so? And would i struggle not having done A Level maths/sciences?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, yeah I'm applying for the JLR degree apprenticeship.

However, on the website it does say that you need to do Maths A Level with a mathematical subject/science. I also emailed them cause I wasn't sure about my own subjects and they pretty much said that you need maths.

Economics counts as a Mathematical subject, but you still need to have the Maths A Level, sorry.

Like me, I'm not able to apply for Siemens or BAE for example because I no longer do Physics A Level.

If you're still unsure though, best emailing them.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wfontanos
Hey, yeah I'm applying for the JLR degree apprenticeship.

However, on the website it does say that you need to do Maths A Level with a mathematical subject/science. I also emailed them cause I wasn't sure about my own subjects and they pretty much said that you need maths.

Economics counts as a Mathematical subject, but you still need to have the Maths A Level, sorry.

Like me, I'm not able to apply for Siemens or BAE for example because I no longer do Physics A Level.

If you're still unsure though, best emailing them.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I have now also seen from research that the 'degree' apprenticeship for JLR requires A Level Maths because this type of apprenticeship is for those who wish to go into this field after their A Levels.

Whereas, the 'advanved' apprenticeship that JLR offer only requires at least 5 A-C GCSEs (with a B in gcse maths). However, this has a slightly lower starting salary but is still not too bad.
Yeah the advanced is GCSE entry and the degree is A Level entry. I think they both sound like really good schemes though.

However, if you're doing well in your A Levels, surely Higher Education is the next best step? Whether that be straight to uni or through an apprenticeship scheme is up to you.

But whatever you choose, I wish you all the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks. Good Luck with whatever route you choose too 👍
Reply 5
As it's already been said, you need the A-Level Maths.

The Advanced could be an option, and they're looking at bringing in a middle tier which would be to HNC Level, and then looking at having the scheme as jump on jump off, so it may be worth looking at the advanced, taking a step back for a few years to end up on the degree scheme later if it's what you want to do?
Reply 6
Original post by Tubbz
As it's already been said, you need the A-Level Maths.

The Advanced could be an option, and they're looking at bringing in a middle tier which would be to HNC Level, and then looking at having the scheme as jump on jump off, so it may be worth looking at the advanced, taking a step back for a few years to end up on the degree scheme later if it's what you want to do?

Ye
what would u guys choose if these were your only option.
Uni (studying accounting and finance) or JLR (finance and accounting apprenticeship)?

and also why?
What would you choose...
uni or JLR degree apprenticeship? why?
Personally, i'd choose the apprenticeship.

At the end of the day, you're getting a degree at a top uni (debt free), a competitive salary and work experience at a reputable company.

The only reason why uni would be better is the experience. But then again, you have to think more long term. Would you rather party every week, but be in debt, come out with a degree but not necessarily having job security?

For me, the apprenticeship is a win win.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, i'd choose the apprenticeship.

At the end of the day, you're getting a degree at a top uni (debt free), a competitive salary and work experience at a reputable company.

The only reason why uni would be better is the experience. But then again, you have to think more long term. Would you rather party every week, but be in debt, come out with a degree but not necessarily having job security?

For me, the apprenticeship is a win win.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for the JLR finance and accounting degree apprenticeship which uni do they send you to?
I actually don't know sorry 😂 I'm in year 13 still.

Ask tubbz cause he's currently on the scheme; he's more useful haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by account01
What would you choose...
uni or JLR degree apprenticeship? why?

Pros of uni:
Party atmosphere

Pros of apprenticeship:
Salary,
No debt
Experience
Job Security
Original post by Tubbz
Pros of uni:
Party atmosphere

Pros of apprenticeship:
Salary,
No debt
Experience
Job Security

which uni did u accept but turn down for the degree apprenticeship?
Reply 14
which uni did u accept but turn down for the degree apprenticeship?

I took the apprenticeship when I was in my 20s.

I rejected UoB, and worked for a while.
Why did you reject UoB? It's my second choice uni if I don't get into any degree apprenticeship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Why did you reject UoB? It's my second choice uni if I don't get into any degree apprenticeship

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the time I wasn't in the right mindset to go to uni, so went and did things that I would enjoy for a bit.

Worked out for the best I think, but yeah it wasn't for any particular reason, I just didn't want to go to uni at the time.
Original post by Tubbz
At the time I wasn't in the right mindset to go to uni, so went and did things that I would enjoy for a bit.

Worked out for the best I think, but yeah it wasn't for any particular reason, I just didn't want to go to uni at the time.

As i do not live near Coventry i will need to rent out an accommodation. Is there any accommodations which JLR offer near their sites or would i have to find my own?

what do you or others do in regards to accommodation
Reply 18
As i do not live near Coventry i will need to rent out an accommodation. Is there any accommodations which JLR offer near their sites or would i have to find my own?

what do you or others do in regards to accommodation

You'll need to find your own accommodation. It's a job, and treat it as such.

They set up a Facebook group for new starters so that people can sort out house shares etc. so for the first year people tend to live with whoever they sort out on Facebook, then there's a bit of shuffling, and people start finding friendship groups.

There are people going into 3rd year looking at properties to buy, so if you're sensible with your money you can definitely support yourself.
Reply 19
Hi guys

I recently applied for the degree aprenticeship-engineering and I have recieved an e-mail that I passed the situational test but the aptitued test was horrific, too many questions in a small amount of time. I havent recieved a e mail since and believe they may reject my application. Just for peace of mind all I want to know from those who have went through the process is what next?
Im stduying A level Maths,Physics and Economics and in my final year.
NEED A RESPONSE ASAP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending