The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers from universities: what to do if you get one

Scroll to see replies

“Do be aware that some graduate schemes also ask for a minimum number of UCAS points or a set of grades as well,” says Pro Crastination. By not trying your best at A-level, you could be doing yourself a disservice in the future.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You can read the full article here.

Have you had an unconditional offer?
What would you do if you received one?

Any other thoughts? :cookie:

I put my application in on Tuesday and then on Wednesday (yesterday) I GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER from Bangor! :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by MapleMaypole
I put my application in on Tuesday and then on Wednesday (yesterday) I GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER from Bangor! :smile:

Aye! Well done.
Original post by Diegfanara
Hey,

I am from Imperial College and I just launched a website called Unibudy to let prospective applicants ask for application help and tips to enrolled students that got accepted at their targeted universities.

Check it out and let me know what you think :smile: It was a final year project but now we're thinking of continuing it since we got a lot of university students (about 900) from different universities ready to help!

Thanks 😃

So you've set up a service where you charge for something that is available for free on TSR and then you've set up an account to advertise that service (without paying) on TSR.

Amazing business model.

:indiff:
so do you always have to firm them for them to be unconditional? whatever happens unless I totally bomb I am expecting unconditional offers.

I mean A level maths is hard to miss the A grade because C1 and C2 are easy as are the applied modules. If I did bomb C3 C4 I would already have a 90%+ average from the other four so that would give me 360 needing 120 from the last two which is just a C grade. so worst case scenario I have ABB since I already have two Bs anyway.

ABB would mean I applied for some inspirational choices for those grades and some that I already meet. Whom would make an unconditional. The same applies if things go really bad and I somehow get a B. I won't possibly get worse then a B in maths If I do I kill myself.

so even with terrible worst case scenario BBB/ABB I would still be applying for places where I already meet the offer and aspiration choices.

Should everything go according to plan and I get an A*A* in maths and further maths then I have A*A*BBD at levels and sitting 1/2 more additional further maths and possibly Physics. Also if I sit and do well on Steps I am in a strong position Bath for example offer A*AA or A*BB with a 2 in any step paper.

So since I already meet Baths entry requirements in this scenario I should expect an unconditional from then? Imperial ask for A*A*A + grade 2 in Step 2 or 3 if not sitting MAT. Assuming I get 1 or better then I have A*A*B but beat the step grade so likely and offer with possibly an unconditional offer.

So best case scenario I am looking at preying for an offer from Cambridge with an unconditional offer Bath and a likely offer/outide chance of unconditional from Imperial.

Now if I get an unconditional from either Bath or Imperial is it likely to be on the condition that I firm them? I don't have an issue firming Imperial if I don't get an offer from Cambridge but say I get an offer from Cambridge or Imperial, Then I don't want to firm Bath obviously.

note I won't really kill myself if i fail to get better then a B in A level maths its just an expression, but this won't happen.
Original post by Luke7456
so do you always have to firm them for them to be unconditional? whatever happens unless I totally bomb I am expecting unconditional offers.

I mean A level maths is hard to miss the A grade because C1 and C2 are easy as are the applied modules. If I did bomb C3 C4 I would already have a 90%+ average from the other four so that would give me 360 needing 120 from the last two which is just a C grade. so worst case scenario I have ABB since I already have two Bs anyway.

ABB would mean I applied for some inspirational choices for those grades and some that I already meet. Whom would make an unconditional. The same applies if things go really bad and I somehow get a B. I won't possibly get worse then a B in maths If I do I kill myself. But this is as probable as aliens abducting me in the night and dumping me into a Sudanese Prison where I am gang Raped every day by a group of Aids infested men. Btw I kill myself in that scenario too.

so even with terrible worst case scenario BBB/ABB I would still be applying for places where I already meet the offer and aspiration choices.

Should everything go according to plan and I get an A*A* in maths and further maths then I have A*A*BBD at levels and sitting 1/2 more additional further maths and possibly Physics. Also if I sit and do well on Steps I am in a strong position Bath for example offer A*AA or A*BB with a 2 in any step paper.

So since I already meet Baths entry requirements in this scenario I should expect an unconditional from then? Imperial ask for A*A*A + grade 2 in Step 2 or 3 if not sitting MAT. Assuming I get 1 or better then I have A*A*B but beat the step grade so likely and offer with possibly an unconditional offer.

So best case scenario I am looking at preying for an offer from Cambridge with an unconditional offer Bath and a likely offer/outide chance of unconditional from Imperial.

Now if I get an unconditional from either Bath or Imperial is it likely to be on the condition that I firm them? I don't have an issue firming Imperial if I don't get an offer from Cambridge but say I get an offer from Cambridge or Imperial, Then I don't want to firm Bath obviously.

note I won't really kill myself if i fail to get better then a B in A level maths its just an expression, but this won't happen.

If you apply after your results then you will either get unconditional offers or rejections.

Unconditional "if firmed" offers are a manipulative tactic used by universities to convert applications from applicants awaiting their results.
Original post by PQ
If you apply after your results then you will either get unconditional offers or rejections.

Unconditional "if firmed" offers are a manipulative tactic used by universities to convert applications from applicants awaiting their results.

Well its a mixed bag I will have maths and further maths A levels all been well. Plus I will have B in Politics and B in religious studies to add to that.

which would give me four A levels. all been well at A*A*BB. However I will also plan to sit the following year, Additional further maths and possibly Physics. I really should sit Physics but the problem is finding somewhere to do practicals and submit coursework to. I cant afford to pay £3500 grand for the A level to some college Just someone who can asses the coursework and practical if that even exists.

so likely I have A*A*BB and sitting two more A levels after that.

and if you ask why? well because I don't think A*A*BB is getting me into Imperial or Cambridge and I think i have a chance if I am sitting Physics and additional further maths.
Well its a mixed bag I will have maths and further maths A levels all been well. Plus I will have B in Politics and B in religious studies to add to that.

which would give me four A levels. all been well at A*A*BB. However I will also plan to sit the following year, Additional further maths and possibly Physics. I really should sit Physics but the problem is finding somewhere to do practicals and submit coursework to. I cant afford to pay £3500 grand for the A level to some college Just someone who can asses the coursework and practical if that even exists.

so likely I have A*A*BB and sitting two more A levels after that.

and if you ask why? well because I don't think A*A*BB is getting me into Imperial or Cambridge and I think i have a chance if I am sitting Physics and additional further maths.

As a mature student you may well find that their entry requirements will be different to the grades they ask for from 18/19 year olds.

I'd recommend discussing this with them before you commit to sitting further A levels (although the Additional FM is probably a good idea given the dislike of many maths depts of gap years)....taking some of the EdX AP (and the MITx) courses on Physics might be a better (and cheaper) alternative.
Original post by PQ
As a mature student you may well find that their entry requirements will be different to the grades they ask for from 18/19 year olds.

I'd recommend discussing this with them before you commit to sitting further A levels (although the Additional FM is probably a good idea given the dislike of many maths depts of gap years)....taking some of the EdX AP (and the MITx) courses on Physics might be a better (and cheaper) alternative.

Edx AP (and the MITx) courses? what are those are they as recognized as A Levels? I still sit exams and get a qualification right? I mean its not going to be just learning stuff online from youtube because I know that exists but it is painfully slow and is simply my word for it.

So if they ask for different grades from me then they do from 18/19 year olds are the offers or grade requirements asked for going to be more generous or harsher? EG say someone asks for A*AA are they now likely to drop down to AAA or even AAB or would they pump up to A*A*A*/A*A*A?
Edx AP (and the MITx) courses? what are those are they as recognized as A Levels? I still sit exams and get a qualification right? I mean its not going to be just learning stuff online from youtube because I know that exists but it is painfully slow and is simply my word for it.

So if they ask for different grades from me then they do from 18/19 year olds are the offers or grade requirements asked for going to be more generous or harsher? EG say someone asks for A*AA are they now likely to drop down to AAA or even AAB or would they pump up to A*A*A*/A*A*A?

APs are the american "equivalent" of A levels. They're taken during the final years of high school and are requirements for entry into many US universities (and offer exemption from some first year modules at many US universities). The content is generally similar to A levels or somewhere between A levels and first year university.

MITx is MITs online free modules - so an outstanding international science and engineering university offering many of their university level courses for free.

Have a look https://www.edx.org/course/subject/physics (those are the physics ones - you can see there are maths and other subjects in there too)

These are all MOOCs - so free online courses. You can sometimes pay for a certificate of completion (or pay more for an assessed test) but the focus is more on the learning than on ticking boxes/getting specific grades. For the purposes of keeping your academic levels up and expanding your knowledge during your application year they're likely to be more useful than an expensive A level.
Reply 90

Cambridge, and probably Imperial, would want to see you achieving their typical A-level offer (A*A*A) within the standard 2 years, without having to add an extra year to do more qualifications. You should check with the Admissions Depts at a few Cambridge colleges (ideally the mature colleges), and Imperial, to see if your plan to take 3 years would be acceptable to them. I suspect it might not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Cambridge, and probably Imperial, would want to see you achieving their typical A-level offer (A*A*A) within the standard 2 years, without having to add an extra year to do more qualifications. You should check with the Admissions Depts at a few Cambridge colleges (ideally the mature colleges), and Imperial, to see if your plan to take 3 years would be acceptable to them. I suspect it might not.

I am doing Maths and further Maths this year and additional further maths and physics would be next year so would be within two years.
Reply 92
I am doing Maths and further Maths this year and additional further maths and physics would be next year so would be within two years.

You are doing all Maths & FM A-level in one year, and AFM & Physics in another year? If so that should be ok, but it's still worth checking with Cambridge.
Original post by jneill
You are doing all Maths & FM A-level in one year, and AFM & Physics in another year? If so that should be ok, but it's still worth checking with Cambridge.

Yeah for most people this would seem impossible on top of a full time Job, However I don't have a girlfriend I lost my last friend when he was stranded in Cambodia and he asked me to wire him money which he said he would pay back.

I flat out refused despite it been a small amount, because I had heard from reliable sources that he was drug dealing there. Whilst it was a small amount if he got caught they might go through his accounts and if they went through his accounts they might find that link to me and if they did I could be accused of money laundering or been involved.

Regardless of whether it was the right thing to do or not I flat out refused for this reason. I have had the debate several times with people some people think i was right some people think I was wrong, but either way it was several months ago and that is how I lost my last friend.

Now I have no friends and no GF I have no intent to get friends or GF in the mean time so will focus on studies. I think maths and further Maths in one year in this scenario is definitely doable.
Reply 94
I think maths and further Maths in one year in this scenario is definitely doable.

And, just to add, you will therefore not be getting an unconditional from Cambridge unless you apply after completing all your A-levels and even then you will need STEP too.
Original post by jneill
And, just to add, you will therefore not be getting an unconditional from Cambridge unless you apply after completing all your A-levels and even then you will need STEP too.

Yeah when I was talking about unconditional offers I was talking about Imperial Warwick Bath etc. I don't expect an unconditional from Cambridge the question i was originally asking is if I can get unconditional that don't require me to firm them. Because if I am ever fortunate enough to get a conditional offer from Cambridge, I am obviously firming them and it would be nice to have an unconditional back up.

I don't think Imperial Bath Warwick etc take students in clearing.

I don't think but never actually checked that one tbh. Its not a situation I want to find myself in.
Reply 96
Yeah when I was talking about unconditional offers I was talking about Imperial Warwick Bath etc. I don't expect an unconditional from Cambridge the question i was originally asking is if I can get unconditional that don't require me to firm them. Because if I am ever fortunate enough to get a conditional offer from Cambridge, I am obviously firming them and it would be nice to have an unconditional back up.

I don't think Imperial Bath Warwick etc take students in clearing.

I don't think but never actually checked that one tbh. Its not a situation I want to find myself in.

Imperial not all, and the others not for Maths. And none of them have "unconditional if firm" offers for maths.
Original post by jneill
Imperial not all, and the others not for Maths. And none of them have "unconditional if firm" offers for maths.

I am confused do you mean Imperial will be the only ones to offer unconditional if firm? or do you mean they are the only ones that take students in clearing?
Reply 98
I am confused do you mean Imperial will be the only ones to offer unconditional if firm? or do you mean they are the only ones that take students in clearing?

None of them give "unconditional if firm" offers. And none of them are ever in Clearing for Maths.
Original post by jneill
None of them give "unconditional if firm" offers. And none of them are ever in Clearing for Maths.

ah okay good to know. So I will either get Unconditional or Conditional.

This makes things easier if I hit the grades Hopefully I can line up an Elite unconditional as back up EG Warwick Imperial Bath etc if Cambridge make me an offer.

Or Imperial as a firm and Warwick/Bath as unconditional back ups.

I decided if I sit Step papers and score Distinction and 1 or better I will take another year out to apply if Cambridge reject me without making conditional offer.

If 1 1 its a tough decision and if 1 2 then apply but if they reject just go to next best choice.

If I get an offer from Imperial though and Cambridge reject me that would be a tough choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending