The Student Room Group

Best ways to revise for a level history,sociology and psychology.

What are the best ways to revise for a level history,psychology and sociology.
I just started my A levels been doing them for about 2months now.
My current grades sociology=B,psychology =U,history=E

What can I do to improve and are my grades really bad?

Also I'm targeted Bs for all my subjects, I would love to achieve that.
(edited 7 years ago)
a U and an E are very bad

I would make mind maps and use prompt cards to test yourself on the important facts, what I remember of Psychology A level is that the Q+As are very formulaic so if you do enough practice papers and read enough model answers you should be fine, you don't need to be inventive wth your answer, just tick the right boxes
Practice papers 100%
Reply 3
Thanks for ur help. In psychology I have made lots of notes it's just the matter of remembering , do u have any tips on how to do the stats in psychology research methods, such as wilcoxon,spearmansro etc?
Original post by 1_Zainn_
Thanks for ur help. In psychology I have made lots of notes it's just the matter of remembering , do u have any tips on how to do the stats in psychology research methods, such as wilcoxon,spearmansro etc?

Memorise them for the exam... There really aren't that many tests. Do some past paper questions on research methods too, but with those statistical tests, it's pretty much exclusively memory work (and really boring too lol).
Dw, I put it off doing it till the night before my exam, but It got done eventually :wink: you have plenty time ! :smile:
For a2 psychology you need to find a list of every possible essay question in each topic (check for the lists on loopa psychology website) and answer each and every one (loll. I know, It's extremely boring..). Get as many marked as you can and if you don't get full marks/close to full marks, work on any feedback until you have model answers. Staple together for each unit/topic and Use these the night before the exam, reading em thru and highlighting. Trust me, it works. Do the same for sociology.
Oh. I remember having 'mind maps' of each topic- broad topic area (eg schizophrenia) in the middle of A3 sheet of paper, arrows around, with an essay question (eg. Biological approach to SZ) at the end of each arrow and then I had more arrows with names of each psychologist for each study and two or three WORDS that jog your memory of that specific study)
I did (pretty much) all the essays and the mindmaps like a few DAYS before each exam coz I'm really last minute 😐😁, so don't panic, you still have agesss.
If you have any other questions, do ask.
Good luck with your alevels :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Terrificmagenta
Memorise them for the exam... There really aren't that many tests. Do some past paper questions on research methods too, but with those statistical tests, it's pretty much exclusively memory work (and really boring too lol).
Dw, I put it off doing it till the night before my exam, but It got done eventually :wink: you have plenty time ! :smile:
For a2 psychology you need to find a list of every possible essay question in each topic (check for the lists on loopa psychology website) and answer each and every one (loll. I know, It's extremely boring..). Get as many marked as you can and if you don't get full marks/close to full marks, work on any feedback until you have model answers. Staple together for each unit/topic and Use these the night before the exam, reading em thru and highlighting. Trust me, it works. Do the same for sociology.
Oh. I remember having 'mind maps' of each topic- broad topic area (eg schizophrenia) in the middle of A3 sheet of paper, arrows around, with an essay question (eg. Biological approach to SZ) at the end of each arrow and then I had more arrows with names of each psychologist for each study and two or three WORDS that jog your memory of that specific study)
I did (pretty much) all the essays and the mindmaps
Good luck with your alevels :smile:
seriously thanks a lot we just finished research methods and moved on to approaches. I will Deffo be using ur tips by the way I got U ,because my test way on research methods , I never knew the teststbh. But hopefully my aim is to go over and learn research methods and try finishing approaches in Christmas holidays if possible. U really motivated me thanks you.
Original post by 1_Zainn_
seriously thanks a lot we just finished research methods and moved on to approaches. I will Deffo be using ur tips by the way I got U ,because my test way on research methods , I never knew the teststbh. But hopefully my aim is to go over and learn research methods and try finishing approaches in Christmas holidays if possible. U really motivated me thanks you.

No problem. One more thing; because you've finished research methids so early on, do not neglect it during the rest of the year!. It's so easy to forget about becuase you have so many other things going on. Make sure you go over it (like do some research methods pp qs) every now and then.
When we finished research methods in y 13, we had a big (60 marks?) test too and I got full marks but then after that I completely neglected it till the night before the exam :s-smilie: and I really regret it !! It was the only section that one or 2 of the questions threw me off in the exam and I was HALF a mark off an A* overall, I feel like if I had had a bit more practice on research methods or focused on it a LITTLE more, that one extra mark would've been so easy to pick up. Arghh, nvm. But don't make the same mistake I did :smile: Research methods should be a section you get full/very close to full marks in because it isn't essay based and marking isn't subjective ! :wink: Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest