The Student Room Group

Anyone else like The Smiths but dislike Morrissey

They have some great songs, but I can't stand that man. Anyone else the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Love the Smiths and even Morrissey's solo stuff, but I have to admit he is an incredibly obnoxious person.
I used to respect him for his views on monarchy, attitudes towards sexuality and even thought he was speaking sense politically. Then a few years ago I realised he's actually a massive racist lol. He was talking about how he's keen on voting for UKIP, which was ironic considering UKIP wanted to abolish the Human Rights Act and that supposedly goes against everything he preaches about.
He has constantly made racist comments throughout his career about Chinese people and black people, particularly about black culture making its way into modern music (which he seems to detest).
Learning all of this ruined a few songs for me like Panic, which was apparently about immigration.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
They have some great songs, but I can't stand that man. Anyone else the same?

I love the Smiths, but I have done little reading into what Morrisey has said in the past and he seems like a nasty person.
Original post by NotNotBatman
he seems like a nasty person.

o rly?

And the Smiths are alright, I don't really like his voice, I like the beats and lyrics. He seems like a right weirdo.

There are better bands, one of my new favs is Slowdive.
Yeah, honestly don't get Morrissey but i like his music.
Kinda the opposite but then I just love them both tbh.
Reply 6
I don't really know anything about him, I just like the band
Original post by 0to100
o rly?

And the Smiths are alright, I don't really like his voice, I like the beats and lyrics. He seems like a right weirdo.

There are better bands, one of my new favs is Slowdive.

His voice is great imo. Why do you say he seems like a weirdo?
Also slowdive are good, yeah.
His voice is great imo. Why do you say he seems like a weirdo?
Also slowdive are good, yeah.

his voice is too "ahahhahHAHHWWWW." It's like a yawn. And then he pronounces every letter so it sounds posh and not like the disgruntled working class Irish youth he is simultaneously singing about??

"If you ask me I'lllll spit in your eyeeee. Ohhhhhh if you ask me why then I'll spit in your eEeye. Ohh but weee cannot cling...to the old dreams anymore. Ohhh we cannot cling...to those dreams, am IIII still iiilll...ooooohooooOOHHHHHooooooh." Its like a fancy old man when he was in his 20s like lol not bad music but eh not the best voice. Not punk enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Shite.
Imagine The Smiths songs with the aggression of the Stiff Little Fingers lead singer instead or the attitude of Joe Strummer for the Clash? Would be much better and less irritating when you hear people say, "I love the Smiths!"
Original post by 0to100
his voice is too "ahahhahHAHHWWWW." It's like a yawn. And then he pronounces every letter so it sounds posh and not like the disgruntled working class Irish youth he is simultaneously singing about??

"If you ask me I'lllll spit in your eyeeee. Ohhhhhh if you ask me why then I'll spit in your eEeye. Ohh but weee cannot cling...to the old dreams anymore. Ohhh we cannot cling...to those dreams, am IIII still iiilll...ooooohooooOOHHHHHooooooh." Its like a fancy old man when he was in his 20s like lol not bad music but eh not the best voice. Not punk enough.

That's what I like about it :tongue:

tbh, I don't really follow the messages in the song, because they're a bit ambiguous. But I do know that he was singing against Thatchers ideas in that song and others, I would say it doesn't really matter if it sounds fancy, but I do get what you mean though.
That's what I like about it :tongue:

tbh, I don't really follow the messages in the song, because they're a bit ambiguous. But I do know that he was singing against Thatchers ideas in that song and others, I would say it doesn't really matter if it sounds fancy, but I do get what you mean though.

just in general like he didn't have the style, it was very Jersey Boys-ish if you get me. Like sache, finger snaps, doop-doop-doop. Like Johnny Depp in Crybaby lol I prefer punk like actual punk and people say they were true punk. No they werent. They're horrible if they're meant to be punk but they're legends if they're like soft rock or something. And I felt in general the social context inspiring most of his music was the 80s era. I don't look at celeb interviews because they lie and say what they're told or they're just clueless so Idk but that's what I always thought lol
Original post by Wilfred Little
Shite.

The Smiths?
Original post by 0to100
just in general like he didn't have the style, it was very Jersey Boys-ish if you get me. Like sache, finger snaps, doop-doop-doop. Like Johnny Depp in Crybaby lol I prefer punk like actual punk and people say they were true punk. No they werent. They're horrible if they're meant to be punk but they're legends if they're like soft rock or something. And I felt in general the social context inspiring most of his music was the 80s era. I don't look at celeb interviews because they lie and say what they're told or they're just clueless so Idk but that's what I always thought lol

Well, The Smiths are definitely not Punk, they're indie rock and pop. Jersey boys? the musical? I don't see the similarity, the smiths had a lot of songs with a sadder tone. This night has opened my eyes, Meat is Murder, asleep etc.

Well, I'd have to agree, because he did talk about how much he hated thatcher back in the 80s.

You need to be watching the interviews when the celeb is completely pissed :biggrin:
Original post by 0to100

The Smiths were never Punk. Sex Pistols were punk, and it was after they broke up that the Post Punk genre started to emerge. This was the prime time for bands like Joy Division who wanted to take the punk rock genre and soften it up with electronic sounds. It was like the transition phase between the era of aggressive punk rock to much softer sounds like Morrissey and Robert Smith. This is the genre that subsequently led to Indie Rock and Pop, much softer versions of punk rock but less experimental and much less use of electronic than found in post punk music. That would include the likes of the Cure and the Smiths, who I would put under this category. :smile:
@Nirvana1989-1994 clear pms :biggrin:

Well, The Smiths are definitely not Punk, they're indie rock and pop. Jersey boys? the musical? I don't see the similarity, the smiths had a lot of songs with a sadder tone. This night has opened my eyes, Meat is Murder, asleep etc.

Well, I'd have to agree, because he did talk about how much he hated thatcher back in the 80s.

You need to be watching the interviews when the celeb is completely pissed :biggrin:

I mean the tone of his voice matched jersey boys, and his onstage style was very doo wop-ish
and yea I agree deffo not punk. even john lennon is edgier sounding. than morrissey. not hating just saying.
i actually did just see a video yesterday a compilation of angry celebs :rofl: kinda makes me respect em a TADDDD more to see them stand up to members of the press, thought that was unheard of.
Original post by Petulia
The Smiths were never Punk. Sex Pistols were punk, and it was after they broke up that the Post Punk genre started to emerge. This was the prime time for bands like Joy Division who wanted to take the punk rock genre and soften it up with electronic sounds. It was like the transition phase between the era of aggressive punk rock to much softer sounds like Morrissey and Robert Smith. This is the genre that subsequently led to Indie Rock and Pop, much softer versions of punk rock but less experimental and much less use of electronic than found in post punk music. That would include the likes of the Cure and the Smiths, who I would put under this category. :smile:

Yes, Petulia, I know what post punk is, thank you. Just saying...*other people* have said the Smiths were "pure punk." Confused the jeebies outta me.
Original post by 0to100

Done. :smile:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Done. :smile:

sweet :sexface:

jk :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest