The Student Room Group

QTS Professional Skills Test 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by runforseven
I passed literacy today first time! Does anyone know how we alert our choices that we've passed? I know there is a section for it on track but my candidate number is too long to input? :s-smilie:

Well done! I had to scan the certificate of passing and send them via email to my universities, including my UCAS Personal ID number and all that extra information. Usually when you go to the interviews they ask you if you have completed it or not.
Original post by EmsJayne
Definitely brush up on your times tables so you can recall them quickly. This would be useful in the mental section and cut down on the time to work answers out. I can't remember where, but I remember hearing a tip of making sure you're confident with your 6, 7s and 8 times tables- which did come up the most, I found.

You need to be confident in your multiplication because you need to be able to simplify fractions quickly-and to do so you need to detect lowest common multiples.

Google 'QTS Maths Revision List' and you will find topics to revise.

Good luck and don't stress yourself out too much!

Thanks! I am actually revising it now. I passed the literacy one no problem (I'm History) but numeracy is a bit of a challenge! I'm brushing up on mental arithmetic but I also find I'm strongest on the second part so I'm going to try and get as close to 100% on the second part in case I lose marks on the first part. I make silly mistakes when reading graphs etc though! But I'm slowly starting to get between 7 and 9 on the mental arithmetic ones whereas before I was getting 2 or 3! Every time I make mistakes I find out what went wrong and learn a new 'rule' so I don't make it again. I have it in a couple of weeks so I am a bit nervous!
Hi I have just had to sit an gcse equivalency test for my place on my teacher training . I took the exam on Saturday and passed with 84 percent so got my c grade. Therefore im tempted to just take the plunge and sit my key skills numeracy now whilst its still fresh In my head. I think im going to give myself a few weeks to practise the timed questions and book for the start of Jan eeeek ... were almost there guys x
How much time do you get per mental maths question?
Original post by zebby1999
How much time do you get per mental maths question?

15 seconds
Hello everyone! I passed both my tests on Thursday. (YAY) I just wanted to give you all a heads up, as I was not aware of certain aspects of the tests.

In the Literacy PST, the punctuation section only lets you change 15 words. After this, you are unable to add any more punctuation or make any changes unless you remove/reset one. This is different to the online practice tests where you can make next to unlimited changes.

However, that being said, literacy was fairly straight forward and it didn't take a long time to complete.

For Maths though, I agree with the other commenters. Make sure you brush up on your tables for the mental maths section/do lots of practice tests. Some of the questions in the written statistics section had different layouts/graphs compared to the practice tests, BUT they were not unmanageable. Just try not to panic!

Best of luck to you all! :smile:
Original post by BethanyJane
Hello everyone! I passed both my tests on Thursday. (YAY) I just wanted to give you all a heads up, as I was not aware of certain aspects of the tests.

In the Literacy PST, the punctuation section only lets you change 15 words. After this, you are unable to add any more punctuation or make any changes unless you remove/reset one. This is different to the online practice tests where you can make next to unlimited changes.

However, that being said, literacy was fairly straight forward and it didn't take a long time to complete.

For Maths though, I agree with the other commenters. Make sure you brush up on your tables for the mental maths section/do lots of practice tests. Some of the questions in the written statistics section had different layouts/graphs compared to the practice tests, BUT they were not unmanageable. Just try not to panic!

Best of luck to you all! :smile:

Did you find the tests really difficult? I have my tests soon and I'm beyond worried :frown:
Original post by headbands,
Did you find the tests really difficult? I have my tests soon and I'm beyond worried :frown:

Hello! I found them more difficult than the practice tests in all, but I think that's because I got a little panicky! Literacy was very straight forward, I completed that quite quickly. So I would not worry at all. If you are passing the practice tests, you will be absolutely fine for that. :h:

Numeracy was similar to the practice ones in terms of mental arithmetic, some questions I couldn't do in the time but others were very easy!

I would just give it a shot, make sure you keep practicing! I used NumeracyReady to get more practice papers for maths as there are only four on the department of education website. I found that website really helpful, but a little annoying that it made you self mark!

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 48
I took and passed both tests yesterday and would say the most helpful thing for me was reading through the 'areas of numeracy' file from the government website. The Youtube channel 'tecmath' was also great for some quick ways to work out the mental arithmetic questions. Although I did poorly the first time I did a practice numeracy test online, I was loath to spend any money on resources to pass the tests and so I just did the best with what was available for free online and smashed the tests!
Original post by EmsJayne
I couldn't find any recent forums on this topic so I wanted to start one up. I just took my Maths skills test earlier today, I have been absolutely dreading it so much and I passed first time! If anyone has any questions about my experience let me know and I'll get back to you, as I sure had some to ask but there were no current threads! Best of luck to all prospective teachers :tongue:

Hi there, if your taking one test after another what happens? Do you leave the room and collect your results or just go straight onto the next test?
Reply 50
If I may ask, compared to the numeracy practice test which is more difficult? Also,are the difficulty levels set according to the subject you want to teach? I have mine coming up Monday and I am dreading it. I am very good with maths but I keep panicking when doing the practice test.
Original post by Zoozey
If I may ask, compared to the numeracy practice test which is more difficult? Also,are the difficulty levels set according to the subject you want to teach? I have mine coming up Monday and I am dreading it. I am very good with maths but I keep panicking when doing the practice test.

I would say the real test is just as hard as the practice tests, I do not believe that there are any difficulty level sets in place, these tests are for ALL individuals who want to become teachers, to assess if we possess the basic numeracy and literacy skills, regardless of what subject and what age groups. Just remember to breathe and good luck!
what was the pass mark and was it really difficult
Hello, I was wondering if they allow you to use a pen and paper during the 'metal math' section??
Original post by Julie Haggerty
Hello, I was wondering if they allow you to use a pen and paper during the 'metal math' section??

Hi Julie. Yes they do give you a pen and paper (feel free to ask for more paper), however you cannot start writing until the test begins so you have to read all of the instructions first and then you can start writing when the actual test begins.
Original post by louisacara
Hi there, if your taking one test after another what happens? Do you leave the room and collect your results or just go straight onto the next test?

I guess it might depend on individual test centres, how big of a gap there is between your tests and how many other people are completing tests on that day. My test centre gave me the option to go straight into my 2nd test despite the tests being originally booked 4 hours apart.
Reply 56
OK, so I I did my test on Monday and passed. I found the numeracy a lot easier than the literacy compared to the practice questions. But I will say I did a lot more practice for the numeracy. I didn't buy any books, I just worked the 4 practice questions several times. I also found a maths game in the app store called math workout, I helps you with being quick with calculations. It is timed and you can compete with people all over the world and it's very good for brushing up on multiple and checking progress. Anyone who is having problems with mental math can try it at no cost at all.
Reply 57
Original post by Zoozey
OK, so I I did my test on Monday and passed. I found the numeracy a lot easier than the literacy compared to the practice questions. But I will say I did a lot more practice for the numeracy. I didn't buy any books, I just worked the 4 practice questions several times. I also found a maths game in the app store called math workout, I helps you with being quick with calculations. It is timed and you can compete with people all over the world and it's very good for brushing up on multiple and checking progress. Anyone who is having problems with mental math can try it at no cost at all.

Hi,
Well done! I have my test in a couple of weeks for numeracy. Have passed the English but I can't seem to do the mental section quickly enough. I do well in the 2nd section on the practice tests but fail miserably on the first part. Can you give me an idea of the type of questions that came up on your mental section, please? Much appreciated.
Reply 58
Original post by Moira99
Hi,
Well done! I have my test in a couple of weeks for numeracy. Have passed the English but I can't seem to do the mental section quickly enough. I do well in the 2nd section on the practice tests but fail miserably on the first part. Can you give me an idea of the type of questions that came up on your mental section, please? Much appreciated.

Hi,
The questions were very similar to the practice questions. What I will suggest is improving your multiplication and working percentages quickly. Almost all the questions involve division and multiplication. Also, work the practice questions over and over again using the help function and on your own. Don't be discouraged by your scores in the practice tests. The first time I tried I got 28% but ones I realised what was required and improved my multiplication I started doing better. Try the Math workout app or any other maths game that can time your progress and can also help with percentages. Don't panic when you start. Let me know if there is anything else you may need. I hope I have helped
Hi, I am struggling o even get past the audio questions!!!! I cannot get the answers quick enough :frown:

any tips? lol

whats are the percentage pass marks too, I cannot seem to find this...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending