The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit transfer or study year 1 for the knowledge?!

Hi

I'm seeking a bit of advice. I've been offered to transfer 120 credits from a previous degree. As the previous degree was in an unrelated subject (I studied BA Creative Writing and will now be studying BSc Environmental Science) I can only opt to do the BSc Open but I would chose modules from the 2nd and 3rd year of the Environmental Science degree.

My questions are -

- Should I make the most of being able to transfer the credits from my previous degree and skip year 1, therefore decreasing the amount of time I have to study and the cost. I am self funding so this is a contributing factor in my decision.

- Other than at GCSE level, I have not studied science before. Are the introductory modules of key importance to my understanding or can I pre-study on the topics myself to develop a strong enough foundation knowledge?

If anyone can answer these questions based on previous study experience or some kind of inside knowledge that'd be much appreciated!

Adam
Original post by AdamFotza
Hi

I'm seeking a bit of advice. I've been offered to transfer 120 credits from a previous degree. As the previous degree was in an unrelated subject (I studied BA Creative Writing and will now be studying BSc Environmental Science) I can only opt to do the BSc Open but I would chose modules from the 2nd and 3rd year of the Environmental Science degree.

My questions are -

- Should I make the most of being able to transfer the credits from my previous degree and skip year 1, therefore decreasing the amount of time I have to study and the cost. I am self funding so this is a contributing factor in my decision.

- Other than at GCSE level, I have not studied science before. Are the introductory modules of key importance to my understanding or can I pre-study on the topics myself to develop a strong enough foundation knowledge?

If anyone can answer these questions based on previous study experience or some kind of inside knowledge that'd be much appreciated!

Adam

Personally I would say to do the level 1 science modules as they will teach you the basics and skills from around GCSE level and upwards in preparation for level 2 which will have . Plus it will get you used to the format of studying science distance/online as you just need to pass level 1 for the degree but the grades at level 2 & 3 are used in your degree classification so there is less 'risk' so to speak.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest