The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justjoe1208
Awesome! At the moment, I'm hoping for either Brookes or Bournemouth (but the ambulance in the skills lab at Northampton looked awesome, i didn't manage to get to an open day, being from Cornwall it's hell of a trek!!
Good luck with your interview

Ahhh right okay. Northampton looked amazing on the open day, the labs were really cool and the man who did the talk at the beginning was really helpful, gave a good presentation, provided loads of information 👌🏻
The students were also really great 😁 I'm so excited for the interview, though it's such a long wait haha
I havent heard from any of mine as yet where do you all want to go with your future paramedic career?
Original post by angelseyes
I havent heard from any of mine as yet where do you all want to go with your future paramedic career?

Operate in an FRV and mentor students 😁

Where have you applied?
One day I'd like to do some time on an Air Ambulance and perhaps in the future work in an Urgent Care setting e.g. my local Out of Hours GP service employs ECPs
Hey everyone.

I've have previously applied for Paramedic Science course and unfortunately didn't get a place. (I was interviewed at Brighton, Birmingham City and Anglia Ruskin).

I have studied BTEC - Level 3 - Extended Diploma in Public Services and also Health and Social Care. I received D*D*D* in both courses. My one downfall is my Maths. I was 3 marks off a C (I know they still look at that a not a fail.)

I currently volunteer with St John and I have been on a variety of placements with my health and social course.

This will be my third year of applying for the BSc(Hons). I just don't know what I'm doing wrong? I do get extremely nervous at interview so maybe that is the issue.

Any suggestions? ((:
Original post by shanj0nes
Hey everyone.

I've have previously applied for Paramedic Science course and unfortunately didn't get a place. (I was interviewed at Brighton, Birmingham City and Anglia Ruskin).

I have studied BTEC - Level 3 - Extended Diploma in Public Services and also Health and Social Care. I received D*D*D* in both courses. My one downfall is my Maths. I was 3 marks off a C (I know they still look at that a not a fail.)

I currently volunteer with St John and I have been on a variety of placements with my health and social course.

This will be my third year of applying for the BSc(Hons). I just don't know what I'm doing wrong? I do get extremely nervous at interview so maybe that is the issue.

Any suggestions? ((:

I'd say it maybe the interview, your obviously a strong enough candidate to get to the interview stage. With you interviewing before you know what to expect, and hopefully should ease your nerves a bit. Everyone's nervous so I wouldn't worry about that, did you ask for advice from them what to improve on for last time? They want to seem people keen and determined, which you obviously are :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a missed call from a witheld number which is really strange for me, is it possible univerities could try to contact you before making an interview? I'm worried that i've possibly missed a call from them :frown:
Original post by 0liverJohn
I'd say it maybe the interview, your obviously a strong enough candidate to get to the interview stage. With you interviewing before you know what to expect, and hopefully should ease your nerves a bit. Everyone's nervous so I wouldn't worry about that, did you ask for advice from them what to improve on for last time? They want to seem people keen and determined, which you obviously are :smile:

Yeah, no matter how much I prepare I'm still really nervous and forget everything I've researched. So I look like a clown haha! I don't know whether to reapply to some of the same universities? I really want to go to UWE but last year I didn't even get an interview! Then my second choice was Brighton but the MMI went bad! (I was also about 10 minutes late to the interview, purely because I was travelling from North Wales to Brighton that morning as I couldn't afford a hotel.)
Iv applied to edge hill uclan and Liverpool John moores : )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, no matter how much I prepare I'm still really nervous and forget everything I've researched. So I look like a clown haha! I don't know whether to reapply to some of the same universities? I really want to go to UWE but last year I didn't even get an interview! Then my second choice was Brighton but the MMI went bad! (I was also about 10 minutes late to the interview, purely because I was travelling from North Wales to Brighton that morning as I couldn't afford a hotel.)

Don't worry that's it's normal to forget or lose track, they expect us to be nervous! Especially if were so passionate about the vocation/uni, I would choose exactly where you could see yourself going, no matter how many times you've applied. It show's dedication. If you can come back despite last time and demonstrate your passion for the subject and career beyond you'll be fine :smile: Also take notes with you and ask for constructive criticisms where applicable :smile:
Hey everyone.

Any suggestions? ((:

You have loads of interview experience so hopefully that will help this time round and your general experience and qualifications are great so I don't see why they didn't offer you a place!

Maybe more confidence? Easier said than done I know.. I'm awful when it comes to nerves when it's something I'm passionate about because I know I want it so bad haha.
I have a missed call from a witheld number which is really strange for me, is it possible univerities could try to contact you before making an interview? I'm worried that i've possibly missed a call from them :frown:

I had a missed call from a number in Birmingham the other day and got all paranoid, googled it and it was a recruitment company haha.

If it was a uni then they'd have definitely left a voice mail or tried calling another time. Don't worry :smile:
Original post by _homesick__
I had a missed call from a number in Birmingham the other day and got all paranoid, googled it and it was a recruitment company haha

What we like?! I think we need to stop panicking so much :wink2: haha!
What we like?! I think we need to stop panicking so much :wink2: haha!

Yep haha, what will be, will be! If it's not our time this year then we'll just apply again next year or whatever 😁
Original post by Tullet
Is anyone on here willing to have a look at my personal statement for me before I send it off?

Happy to have a look,there's also a personal statment marking service on here.
Original post by WaceMindu
Happy to have a look,there's also a personal statment marking service on here.

Thanks a lot, I'll pm it to you.
Just been rejected from Uclan :frown:
Just been rejected from Uclan :frown:

Whaaaaaat!!!! No way, sorry to hear that :frown:
I'm worrying that SHU and Staffordshire don't want me because others seem to have heard back and I haven't! Suppose "no news is good news".... Though I think SHU have only recently started working through their applications so there's still hope!!!!

I think maybe you were too good for UCLAN, and that's really why they couldn't take you on :wink: Don't let it dampen your spirits tho, still got to wait to hear back from other unis!

In other news, I'm in an elated mood as I just got my results back for my cardiac and respiratory module and I got a distinction :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _homesick__
Whaaaaaat!!!! No way, sorry to hear that :frown:
I'm worrying that SHU and Staffordshire don't want me because others seem to have heard back and I haven't! Suppose "no news is good news".... Though I think SHU have only recently started working through their applications so there's still hope!!!!

I think maybe you were too good for UCLAN, and that's really why they couldn't take you on :wink: Don't let it dampen your spirits tho, still got to wait to hear back from other unis!

In other news, I'm in an elated mood as I just got my results back for my cardiac and respiratory module and I got a distinction :biggrin:

Thank youuu! Same with me for staffordshire :smile: But sheffield has a quite a few to sive though so don't worry :biggrin:

Yeah i'll put it down to that :wink: Yeah hopefully the other four will be much better news.

Ah well done!:biggrin::biggrin: I wish there was a way to update your grades so uni's could see what you've attained so far!! I got a distinction on my Anatomy and Physiology unit 2 days after sending off my ucas, it's my first graded unit so the rest stand at a pass, hoping this wasn't a reason for my rejection.
Thank youuu! Same with me for staffordshire :smile: But sheffield has a quite a few to sive though so don't worry :biggrin:

Yeah i'll put it down to that :wink: Yeah hopefully the other four will be much better news.

Ah well done!:biggrin::biggrin: I wish there was a way to update your grades so uni's could see what you've attained so far!! I got a distinction on my Anatomy and Physiology unit 2 days after sending off my ucas, it's my first graded unit so the rest stand at a pass, hoping this wasn't a reason for my rejection.

Yeah that'd be good to help get interviews. Even though it's not required, I may take a portfolio of the work I've done so far and the grades I've got to my Northampton interview so they can see the standard of work I've done so far. And also with all my certificates in cannulating, ECGs and like my AHLS and TILS certificates ☺️

If it's your first graded units then I don't see why they wouldn't give you an interview with the rest being passes, the "ungraded" units are capped at passes anyway... I'd ring up and see why maybe?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest