The Student Room Group

Is there a career worthwhile OUTSIDE OF CORPORATE FINANCE?

I feel like Finance is where everyone wants to go - I'm talking from people with humanities bachelors to STEM engineers.

Why is that?

Is there a career worthwhile outside of finance, and why does everyone assume that someone who does not work in finance in a bank is a loser?

I am destined to become a quant because of my math degree:

[video="youtube;ed2FWNWwE3I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2FWNWwE3I[/video]

Look what this professor is saying about everyone wanting to work in Finance and that all the creativity is to be applied there and is nowadays useless elsewhere (noone wants to build bridges etc)
Can't actually tell if you're being serious because I've only met one person (excluding the posts on here, don't care to read because random posts I'm not interested in) who wants to do something related to finance and he went away to a KPMG apprentice scheme or whatever it is.

Also fun fact: I know several people who want to build bridges "etc" because my course involves that kind of stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
It would seem that way. Everyone has a raging hard on for finance or 'corporate graduate' roles for some reason.

Can't blame them - i did before/at/after uni - and i even ended up as a M&A Analyst in London for a few years.

With the benefit of hindsight and luck, i can only chuckle and watch subsequent generations walk blindly forward down the same path - one that won't lead to a long term career or happiness for most. We're brainwashed onto that path without putting any real thought into it - but then that analysis is impossible without the benefit of life experience and so, well, it's inevitable really.

Destined? A maths degree (well, any degree) predestines/guarantees sweet FA.

On the 'professional career' note - consider which roles are most at risk of being replaced by a computer (or someone cheaper and super-qualified from somewhere further east) in an increasingly globalized world where physical presence isn't required. Desk jockeys ('outsourcing'), drivers (uber), pilots (drones)... Brave new world :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
Can't actually tell if you're being serious because I've only met one person (excluding the posts on here, don't care to read because random posts I'm not interested in) who wants to do something related to finance and he went away to a KPMG apprentice scheme or whatever it is.

Also fun fact: I know several people who want to build bridges "etc" because my course involves that kind of stuff.

The professor in the video says all of the quantitative minds go into Finance as the Civil / Aerospace / Mechanical Engineering is best utilised there and there are no other opportunities outside of Finance which basically leads the modern world as it is the most important and prestigious industry.
Original post by brabzzz
It would seem that way. Everyone has a raging hard on for finance or 'corporate graduate' roles for some reason.

Can't blame them - i did before/at/after uni - and i even ended up as a M&A Analyst in London for a few years.

With the benefit of hindsight and luck, i can only chuckle and watch subsequent generations walk blindly forward down the same path - one that won't lead to a long term career or happiness for most. We're brainwashed onto that path without putting any real thought into it - but then that analysis is impossible without the benefit of life experience and so, well, it's inevitable really.

Destined? A maths degree (well, any degree) predestines/guarantees sweet FA.

On the 'professional career' note - consider which roles are most at risk of being replaced by a computer (or someone cheaper and super-qualified from somewhere further east) in an increasingly globalized world where physical presence isn't required. Desk jockeys ('outsourcing':wink:, drivers (uber), pilots (drones)... Brave new world :smile:

I am going to program the HFT platforms - this can never be replaced as HFT is the ultimate future of finance and stock exchange in general. This already accounts for majority of equity volume orders and Citadel trades more than NYSE - how about that?
It depends what you mean by 'worthwhile' really - I would agree with the earlier post though, I've not heard of many people wanting to go into finance!
I didn't slave away at an engineering degree to be a number pusher in Excel. I'd be bored out of my mind if I worked in finance
Nope, OP, that's it. It's basically finance or a McJob.
Original post by alexschmalex
I didn't slave away at an engineering degree to be a number pusher in Excel. I'd be bored out of my mind if I worked in finance

The irony is most engineers are number pushers on excel themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
No, there are loads of careers that are worthwhile outside of finance. Those are the majority, finance is the minority. Finance is overrated anyway, I don't understand why everyone's so obsessed.
Original post by Melancholic Mill

why does everyone assume that someone who does not work in finance in a bank is a loser?

Because it's true! Everyone wants to be the puppet master. :wink:
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
Because it's true! Everyone wants to be the puppet master. :wink:

Lol I guess. And many women would only date bankers also lol so I have no other choice but to go into this career.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Nope, OP, that's it. It's basically finance or a McJob.

I know, I mean there's also consulting but people do that to eventually step into finance themselves

Original post by samantham999
lol not everyone goes into finance

Please if you could list some real alternatives

Original post by alexschmalex

Well what are you going to do then? Maybe you can get a job in Shell doing engineering stuff but if you look around you everything is built already and the rest is being programmed by compsci people
Original post by Princepieman
The irony is most engineers are number pushers on excel themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looool you're actually right, but at least you can see the end result of what you're doing instead of whatever it is people in finance do

Original post by Melancholic Mill
Well what are you going to do then? Maybe you can get a job in Shell doing engineering stuff but if you look around you everything is built already and the rest is being programmed by compsci people

I crossed off working at Shell when I was like 9, I'd hate to work there. Engineering is way more than building, the stuff everyone uses is constantly being innovated upon and improved. It's a big market and a bigger world, there's tons to do :wink:
work in a panda sacntuary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending