The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Under 18's

Are there any other under 18's that are starting their studies in 2017. I'm starting Natural Sciences: Earth Science in February but just wondered how common it was for under 18's to do these courses :smile:
Reply 1
Its a minority but it is possible for under 18s to do the OU with their consent. I believe that they had a graduate who was 16 years old once who was exceptionally gifted.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi, I'm thinking of starting in 2017 and I just turned 17, I want to study the open degree in a mixture of sciences. I'm still undecided though so if anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated
Reply 3
Original post by crdeaves
Hi, I'm thinking of starting in 2017 and I just turned 17, I want to study the open degree in a mixture of sciences. I'm still undecided though so if anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated

If you want to study a variety of sciences then your right probably best to do an open degree. The introductory Questions in Science module in first year is interdisciplinary, but in 2nd year you'd need to pick 2 sciences to focus on. When picking modules pick ones that your interested in not what you think would be "good for employers".

Sorry i can't provide any more detail, I'm a social science student with the OU so I don't really know much about the physical/natural sciences. I'd recommend that you phone student recruitment and they'll be able to talk through your options.

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Rosco316
If you want to study a variety of sciences then your right probably best to do an open degree. The introductory Questions in Science module in first year is interdisciplinary, but in 2nd year you'd need to pick 2 sciences to focus on. When picking modules pick ones that your interested in not what you think would be "good for employers".

Sorry i can't provide any more detail, I'm a social science student with the OU so I don't really know much about the physical/natural sciences. I'd recommend that you phone student recruitment and they'll be able to talk through your options.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. How have you found studying with the OU as a "young" student? Do you get bored at all? Do you work at all aswell?
A lot of Scottish students are 17 in their first year.
Reply 6
not sure you can call 35 young lol....i've enjoyed studying with the OU so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending