The Student Room Group

Master in Public Policy

I have been looking at the MPP at Edinburgh University, it looks superb, has a capstone project and very close links to the Scottish Parliament and pretty good option modules.

However, I haven't been able to find more info on this Masters. If you have any information on this course I would really appreciate if you could share it with me, for example how hard is to gain entry (I know it says 2:1, but it also says it is usually attended by only 25 students) and the quality and reputation of the course.

By the way, how can the international reputation of Edinburgh University be in comparison with the English unis. Do you have any recommendations outside Oxbridge for an MPP course?

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by OriginalJuan
I have been looking at the MPP at Edinburgh University, it looks superb, has a capstone project and very close links to the Scottish Parliament and pretty good option modules.

However, I haven't been able to find more info on this Masters. If you have any information on this course I would really appreciate if you could share it with me, for example how hard is to gain entry (I know it says 2:1, but it also says it is usually attended by only 25 students) and the quality and reputation of the course.

By the way, how can the international reputation of Edinburgh University be in comparison with the English unis. Do you have any recommendations outside Oxbridge for an MPP course?

Thank you so much!

The Academy of Gov program looks good with Scottish Parliament affiliation, internship and capstone project. But I am put off by the price tag of £20,700. Imho, the syllabus does not merit the price tag. As a home student, I can attend other peer programs at UK unis at half the price. Warwick, Bristol, York cost half. Even UCL and LSE have lower tuition than Edin MPP. I heard from politics students that Edin MPP is a cash cow and this explains the small class.

Recommendation depends on your academic areas of interest and a program's concentration, it is about fit. But UCL (analytical methods, urban housing policy), LSE (governance, Urban transport & housing, local economic development, social policy, policy evaluation), Warwick (policy analysis, political economy) and York (Governance, health policy) have a strong reputation and international research networks.
Original post by Tcannon
The Academy of Gov program looks good with Scottish Parliament affiliation, internship and capstone project. But I am put off by the price tag of £20,700. Imho, the syllabus does not merit the price tag. As a home student, I can attend other peer programs at UK unis at half the price. Warwick, Bristol, York cost half. Even UCL and LSE have lower tuition than Edin MPP. I heard from politics students that Edin MPP is a cash cow and this explains the small class.

Recommendation depends on your academic areas of interest and a program's concentration, it is about fit. But UCL (analytical methods, urban housing policy), LSE (governance, Urban transport & housing, local economic development, social policy, policy evaluation), Warwick (policy analysis, political economy) and York (Governance, health policy) have a strong reputation and international research networks.

Thank you for your insight, it seems you're quite knowledgeable on the subject. I have been accepted to IPE in Warwick, do you reckon it would be better to study IPE over Public Policy at Warwick given its strength on political economy, while still having the same career prospects, or do you believe employers value the tag "Public Policy" over "IPE"?
I'm also looking into studying for an MPP in Edinburgh and I'm very keen to hear from people who have to get their views on what it was like. I'm attracted to the 3 month work placement and the essay-based masters but the home student price tag of £21,700 is pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure if it would be worth the price.

I'm particularly interested in energy, development and governance policy but I'm not sure where else to apply for (I do not want to study in London).

I have a year and a half experience working in thinktanks/NGOs and a first in Politics & IR from York and I'm looking to study from an MPP mainly for career prospects.
Original post by publicpolicy123
I'm also looking into studying for an MPP in Edinburgh and I'm very keen to hear from people who have to get their views on what it was like. I'm attracted to the 3 month work placement and the essay-based masters but the home student price tag of £21,700 is pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure if it would be worth the price.

I'm particularly interested in energy, development and governance policy but I'm not sure where else to apply for (I do not want to study in London).

I have a year and a half experience working in thinktanks/NGOs and a first in Politics & IR from York and I'm looking to study from an MPP mainly for career prospects.

Have you seen the Public Policy masters at Warwick University, University of York (which you might obviously know), and with your very good background Oxford University?

They are very good, cheaper and not in London. Perhaps you should give them a look.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not interested in heading back to York to study again (I loved my time there but spending another year there would probably be too much) and Oxford is over £37,000 for a year-long masters!

The Warwick course does look very good, but I'm put off by the location.
Leamington Spa and Coventry aren't exactly happening places and I feel that living on campus would be a bit odd now at 24.
Original post by publicpolicy123
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not interested in heading back to York to study again (I loved my time there but spending another year there would probably be too much) and Oxford is over £37,000 for a year-long masters!

The Warwick course does look very good, but I'm put off by the location.
Leamington Spa and Coventry aren't exactly happening places and I feel that living on campus would be a bit odd now at 24.

Then there's always Bristol and Nottingham, both are competitive universities, way cheaper than Edinburgh or Oxford and with a very good location, especially Bristol.

In hindsight, there are several Universities outside London that are offering what you intend to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending