The Student Room Group

Extortionate gas and water bills?

Is it just me or are the utilities companies having a laugh? I did a monthly reading today for my water (which cost me £40 for the month) and gas (which was £60). I was paid up until now. I think they are having a laugh. Also i pay my electricity separate (on a meter).

What do you guys and girls think?
I'm having the same issues having just moved into another house. I've heard that it's related to the time of year though as apparently bills and council tax rise during the winter months.
Yes
Worse during winter
Reply 3
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
I'm having the same issues having just moved into another house. I've heard that it's related to the time of year though as apparently bills and council tax rise during the winter months.

Council Tax is spread through the year.

Original post by john2054
Is it just me or are the utilities companies having a laugh? I did a monthly reading today for my water (which cost me £40 for the month) and gas (which was £60). I was paid up until now. I think they are having a laugh. Also i pay my electricity separate (on a meter).

What do you guys and girls think?

Water should be the same every month.

Your gas payments are extortionate, i have electric only and yet pay £25 per month.
Reply 4
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
okay

sure

Original post by Rakas21
Council Tax is spread through the year.

Water should be the same every month.

Your gas payments are extortionate, i have electric only and yet pay £25 per month.
i prefer to pay by ad hoc payments instead of on direct debits. I have paid our council tax for the year up front, i think it was £14k. Also bearing in mind that i am paying for the three of us, and it's a category b three detached three bedroom house. It still hurts though, to make these payments!

lol
Doesn't sound too far off to me. It all depends on how your house is set up, gas oven or electric ect. how the payments break down but chances are its heating that's causing the high gas bill. If you want to lower the cost maybe look at using it a little less? Like put on a jumper and if your still cold then put the heating on.
Is it just you living alone or is that split between housemates? If its that much for just you I don't really see the problem, if that's your share of split bills then yes its way too high.
Also do you send in your readings, otherwise the companies will have to estimate your usage and might be overcharging you.
a relative I know runs his own plumbing business, and apparently British Gas is a rip off - extortionately overpriced with rubbish quality, I think maybe you should shop around and have a look online and see what options are available to you
Reply 7
Original post by kitkatbitesize
Doesn't sound too far off to me. It all depends on how your house is set up, gas oven or electric ect. how the payments break down but chances are its heating that's causing the high gas bill. If you want to lower the cost maybe look at using it a little less? Like put on a jumper and if your still cold then put the heating on.
Is it just you living alone or is that split between housemates? If its that much for just you I don't really see the problem, if that's your share of split bills then yes its way too high.
Also do you send in your readings, otherwise the companies will have to estimate your usage and might be overcharging you.
These readings are for me, my wife and daughter.

Original post by bizzy_penguin
a relative I know runs his own plumbing business, and apparently British Gas is a rip off - extortionately overpriced with rubbish quality, I think maybe you should shop around and have a look online and see what options are available to you
We use eon for electricity and gas. I think they are over priced, but they provide a good service. I once tried switching the scottish power, because it looked better on paper. But they didn't provide me with a single kw of energy, and i still had to pay something like £80 for them, plus the call workers couldn't understand a word i was saying. So i just stick with eon now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending