The Student Room Group

What do Investment banks do - my paragraph - what changes should I make?

Hey guys, can you read my answer to this question? I want to really get into this programme.

1. Please explain why you have chosen your SMF career sector or, if you are applying for a residential programme, why you are interested in this profession. Your answer MUST include any research, study, work experience undertaken, contact with professionals (i.e. through family members) and any other relevant details.

I have chosen the Banking and Finance career sector due to my immense passion for a career in finance, especially Investment Banking. My interest for banking, has been built up due to my profound interest in mathematics and prior work experience related to finance. I enjoy mathematics, due to its numerous applications and I enjoy problem solving which can be beneficial in the Finance industry. After doing some research, I have learnt that an investment banks help corporate clients to increase capital by issuing bonds and IPO’s, this is known as underwriting. They also provide strategic advice to corporations, to either merge with a competitor or buy a smaller company (Mergers & Acquisitions). Furthermore, investment banks also partake in sales and trading as well as Equity research. They buy and sell securities out of their own account to facilitate trading of security. This therefore provides a market in that security, providing liquidity and prices for investors and investment banks make commission for these services. In addition, I had previously worked at the Bank of England for work experience, which allowed me to further learn how a bank setting operates and developed analytical and logical skills and communication skills, which is vital when it comes to Investment banking, working in front-office and speaking to clients. Additionally, I believe I benefited the most when I spoke to my new mentor, who himself is a second-year analyst at an Investment bank. I gained substantial first-hand information from him, regarding as to how investment banks work as well as the Buy side and the sell side and the differences that vary between both sides.
no one has an immense passion for finance

otherwise whilst it's good would try and nab a few competencies in there (skills you gained from work experience that would be relevant to IB)
Talk more about your relevant experiences and what you have learnt from them. For example, if you have attended Insight Days, talk about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending