The Student Room Group

Architecture 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Hey there:smile: I've just send my task to UCL and I'm still hesitating to apply for Edinburgh. my predicted grades are just A*AB and an A for native language (I'm international) and I did really bad in IGCSE.
I've emailed to edinburgh and they said as I'm doing alevel art I unlikely need to submit a portfolio:frown: so does that mean the grade is the only factor for Edinburgh to give offers? My councilor said first step they will reject students with not really good IGCSE grade:frown: Is that true?

Btw Is there anyone has the similar predicted grade with me and got an offer?
Woooooo finally got an offer from Sheffield!!
Original post by JamesEvans

Congrats!
Reply 603
I'm predicted A*BB and got an offer from Sheffield this week (supposedly ranked 5th in the UK for architecture), don't be discouraged if your grades aren't up to scratch as long as your portfolio is strong your in with a chance.
Original post by joaha
I'm predicted A*BB and got an offer from Sheffield this week (supposedly ranked 5th in the UK for architecture), don't be discouraged if your grades aren't up to scratch as long as your portfolio is strong your in with a chance.

Thanks<3 What im worrying about is I dont even have a chance to show my portfolio to edinburgh T_T
Reply 605
Original post by Zoeeeeeee
Hey there:smile: I've just send my task to UCL and I'm still hesitating to apply for Edinburgh. my predicted grades are just A*AB and an A for native language (I'm international) and I did really bad in IGCSE.
I've emailed to edinburgh and they said as I'm doing alevel art I unlikely need to submit a portfolio:frown: so does that mean the grade is the only factor for Edinburgh to give offers? My councilor said first step they will reject students with not really good IGCSE grade:frown: Is that true?

I say forget your counselor and go for it. If you applied to UCL then you really got nothing to be afraid of. I'm also international, and hell, Edinburgh was probably the easiest out of all my unis. It was actually the first (and only) offer I've received so far. No interview, no task, no IGCSE, just a straight offer (in fact an almost suspiciously lenient one :colone:) I'm doing IB so can't really say much about your grades (A*AB doesn't sound too bad though), so if you want, go for it.

Although you are saying that you've sent in your UCL task, does that mean that you have already sent in your UCAS? If so how are you going to apply for Edinburgh?
Original post by bbglop
I say forget your counselor and go for it. If you applied to UCL then you really got nothing to be afraid of. I'm also international, and hell, Edinburgh was probably the easiest out of all my unis. It was actually the first (and only) offer I've received so far. No interview, no task, no IGCSE, just a straight offer (in fact an almost suspiciously lenient one :colone:) I'm doing IB so can't really say much about your grades (A*AB doesn't sound too bad though), so if you want, go for it.

Although you are saying that you've sent in your UCL task, does that mean that you have already sent in your UCAS? If so how are you going to apply for Edinburgh?

Oh thank you! You really encourage me<3 I will try to apply it. I've just applied for UCL in November and haven't decided the other 4 choices yet, probably sent them next week:smile:
Reply 607
Oh thank you! You really encourage me<3 I will try to apply it. I've just applied for UCL in November and haven't decided the other 4 choices yet, probably sent them next week:smile:

Glad to help. I think Edinburgh are pretty nice toward international students, and you got pretty decent grades so you will probably make it! :smile:

Good luck! :wink:
Original post by bbglop
Glad to help. I think Edinburgh are pretty nice toward international students, and you got pretty decent grades so you will probably make it! :smile:

Good luck! :wink:

Thanks! Wish you will get all the offers!
Just wondering if many people here would qualify for free tuition in Scotland? If so, how significant a factor is that for your final choice?
Original post by thewinelake
Just wondering if many people here would qualify for free tuition in Scotland? If so, how significant a factor is that for your final choice?

I was under the impression Scotland would have to have been your main residence for a certain number of years?- ie youd have to be scottish. correct me if im wrong!

Same last night!
Original post by Heather.scb
I was under the impression Scotland would have to have been your main residence for a certain number of years?- ie youd have to be scottish. correct me if im wrong!

Also applies to students from EU (other than rest of UK!)
Original post by Mintonmartha
Same last night!

well done too! i got the typical AAA you?

Edinburgh gave me an ABB offer
I've now heard of an interesting case of UCL not accepting someone for Architecture, but inviting them to apply for their Architecture with Engineering course (which is new and, I presume, unloved!)
well done too! i got the typical AAA you?

Yeah exactly the same, it's my first offer, have you got any others?
I've now heard of an interesting case of UCL not accepting someone for Architecture, but inviting them to apply for their Architecture with Engineering course (which is new and, I presume, unloved!)

hahaha that's quite funny 😂
I think it sounds like a very interesting option. I can see that some prestigious firms would be keen in taking on the graduates, but one's career would technically be as an engineer. If only it wasn't in smelly old London...
I think it sounds like a very interesting option. I can see that some prestigious firms would be keen in taking on the graduates, but one's career would technically be as an engineer. If only it wasn't in smelly old London...

yes indeed! I was quite interested when I heard about it in their open day, but it doesn't qualify for RIBA Part I so yh no...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending