The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance for cambridge medicine?

GCSE Grades: 11A*s,2As and a B
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Further Maths - A
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Geography - A*
History- A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Business Studies - A*
ICT - A*
Religious Studies - A*
French - B
Urdu - A

Work experience:
1 week in a psychiatry ward
1 day in emergency psychiatry department
By the time I apply 2 years of volunteering in old people's home
1 week shadowing psychologist lecturer at Oxford university

a levels taken
Biology Chemistry Maths Economics EPQ

Do i have a realistic chance?

If so what med schools am I restricted to?
btw I am in yr12
Original post by BULL14
GCSE Grades: 11A*s,2As and a B
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Further Maths - A
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Geography - A*
History- A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Business Studies - A*
ICT - A*
Religious Studies - A*
French - B
Urdu - A

Work experience:
1 week in a psychiatry ward
1 day in emergency psychiatry department
By the time I apply 2 years of volunteering in old people's home
1 week shadowing psychologist lecturer at Oxford university

a levels taken
Biology Chemistry Maths Economics EPQ

Do i have a realistic chance?

If so what med schools am I restricted to?
btw I am in yr12

yes, why not? just do well in your a levels
Reply 2
no sorry lol why did you even bother asking
Reply 3
Will my gcses be good enough?
Reply 4
Original post by BULL14
Will my gcses be good enough?

Yes, they're fine. Most Cambridge applicants have very good GCSEs, but the university doesn't use them as stringently as Oxford do. 11A*s is great!

Nobody can say you'll definitely get in, especially as you've only just started A-levels and haven't done the BMAT yet. But if you continue on the same trajectory it's certainly worth applying.
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia
Yes, they're fine. Most Cambridge applicants have very good GCSEs, but the university doesn't use them as stringently as Oxford do. 11A*s is great!

Nobody can say you'll definitely get in, especially as you've only just started A-levels and haven't done the BMAT yet. But if you continue on the same trajectory it's certainly worth applying.

What else could I do to improve my chance?
Have you considered some GP work experience? Your work experience at the moment seems very psych based - which is fine, but perhaps narrow. If you can get some GP exposure then I'd recommend it. My experience at Cambridge interviews (although I was rejected) was that they were keen to see aptitude and interest in the science behind medicine. Perhaps some experience in an academic field. You mentioned the shadowing of a lecturer - that would be useful to explore.

tl;dr - you're doing fine. Consider GP exposure and nail your exams :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Muppet Science
Have you considered some GP work experience? Your work experience at the moment seems very psych based - which is fine, but perhaps narrow. If you can get some GP exposure then I'd recommend it. My experience at Cambridge interviews (although I was rejected) was that they were keen to see aptitude and interest in the science behind medicine. Perhaps some experience in an academic field. You mentioned the shadowing of a lecturer - that would be useful to explore.

tl;dr - you're doing fine. Consider GP exposure and nail your exams :smile:

thank you for your advice
Wow congrats for getting up to the interview stage.
would you mind me asking your stats, because you must have done something right to get an interview!
3rd year Cardiff;
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As, B (extenuating circumstances - missed c.8 months and basically had to self-teach)
AS - AAAA (Bio, chem, Physics, History); average UMS c.89%
A2 - A*A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics, EPQ)
UKCAT - 650 (ish)
BMAT - 5.0, 5.0, 4A (I think... - it was a while ago)
Results: Cardiff (offer), Cambridge (interview), Brighton (rejection), Southampton (rejection)
Original post by BULL14

thank you for your advice
Wow congrats for getting up to the interview stage.
would you mind me asking your stats, because you must have done something right to get an interview!
Reply 9
Original post by BULL14
What else could I do to improve my chance?

For Cambridge, the most important thing is your academic profile - so work hard for your ASs, and do well in the BMAT. Work experience and volunteering are important for a medicine application in general, but won't make a huge difference for Cambridge specifically. Don't set all your hopes on one uni though, getting into medicine is the most important thing, rather than which university you're at.
Original post by Helenia
getting into medicine is the most important thing, rather than which university you're at.

^THIS.

Whilst it's good to aim for a top university, remember that Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all, and for medicine it's competitive enough already!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending