The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how interview is scored?
Original post by MedicalMusical

I'm not quite certain.
I do know, though, that you get up to 2 points for your SJT band. 2 points if you scored band 1, 1 point for band 2, and no points for band 3 or 4 :smile:
Reply 262
Original post by MedicalMusical

On last years thread I think they were saying that 2/3 of the interviews each give you a mark out of 25, totalling 50, and generally offers are given to people with scores of 42+
Original post by Gogregg
I'm not quite certain.
I do know, though, that you get up to 2 points for your SJT band. 2 points if you scored band 1, 1 point for band 2, and no points for band 3 or 4 :smile:

I called them a few weeks ago and they said they don't use SJT. Where did you hear this?
Original post by Gogregg
All medical schools are competitive, though :u:

And really, 2564 applicants and 800 interviews, that means over 30% of applicants get interviews, which isn't too bad.

I know, unfortunately :frown: I'm probably just overthinking as I thought my stats were alright, but now I'm not so sure ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emelinaw
I know, unfortunately :frown: I'm probably just overthinking as I thought my stats were alright, but now I'm not so sure ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/assets/courses/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf Use this as a guide
btw did everyone get a paragraph in the newsletter about unsuccessful applicants?
Reply 267
Original post by manlike99
btw did everyone get a paragraph in the newsletter about unsuccessful applicants?

Yeah lol it was nerve wracking
I called them a few weeks ago and they said they don't use SJT. Where did you hear this?

At open day it was confirmed when I spoke to dean of admissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said this at their open day.
Just to clarify, though, I meant at the interview stage, I don't think it's used pre-interview
Original post by Gogregg
They said this at their open day.
Just to clarify, though, I meant at the interview stage, I don't think it's used pre-interview

Original post by Bombay Saheb
At open day it was confirmed when I spoke to dean of admissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah good I'm happy then even if it is just an extra 1/2 points more than other people
Reply 271
does Barts look at GCSEs when the competition is so high. they rank you 50:50 UKCAT and UCAS tariff (a levels).
they should still look at it tbh but they dont take it so seriously like other unis
Original post by 11...
does Barts look at GCSEs when the competition is so high. they rank you 50:50 UKCAT and UCAS tariff (a levels).
they should still look at it tbh but they dont take it so seriously like other unis

They look to see if you met the minimum requirements (AAABBB including maths, biology, chemistry and English language). Beyond that, they don't look at them.
Reply 273
Original post by Gogregg
They look to see if you met the minimum requirements (AAABBB including maths, biology, chemistry and English language). Beyond that, they don't look at them.

I knew that but it still sucks. ppl who did amazingly in GCSEs and AS levels may not get an interview just because their UKCAT was average.
whereas ppl with average GCSEs, good AS and high ukcat get interview.

if you just slightly mess up on one it doesn;t mean you dont stand a chance.
Original post by 11...
I knew that but it still sucks. ppl who did amazingly in GCSEs and AS levels may not get an interview just because their UKCAT was average.

I don't think unis should weight too much on GCSEs. They're not a representation of your academic ability at all, anyone can do well at that level. however at a-levels and ib, that's where it gets tough. Having really good GCSEs isn't enough to offset poor a level scores or low ukcat. Not getting an interview because of a low ukcat or average a-levels is fair in my opinion, because it indicates you might not be cut out for the demands of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11...

I understand what you mean about it being unfair, however there are many other unis that will consider GCSEs or A level predictions more important, it's just Barts' policy to consider UKCAT and tariff. If anything this makes it fairer as you can apply strategically :smile:
Original post by 11...

Yes, but if every medical school only wanted good GCSEs, people like me who didn't get all A*s would stand no chance. A lot of people who would make extremely good doctors would be ignored in lieu of one lower grade. I got a B in GCSE drama, should I not be a Doctor because of that?

With medicine, it's all about applying to your strengths.

Besides, Barts have deemed this as the best way for them of selection, they obviously feel this approach selects the most appropriate students, so why should we complain about that?
Original post by 11...

There are many that look at GCSEs heavily, there are unis to suit everyone's strengths
Reply 278
I applied to UCL also for medicine. I haven't heard back from them yet. - they started giving out interviews lol.
UEA is my only hope. interview in a week
Original post by 11...
I applied to UCL also for medicine. I haven't heard back from them yet. - they started giving out interviews lol.
UEA is my only hope. interview in a week

I think we applied to almost the same unis! UCL Barts Kings UEA wau?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending