The Student Room Group

Labour isn’t connecting with the 52% – or the 48%

Labour are really screwed aren't they :frown:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/09/sleaford-byelection-labour-52-48-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

[video="youtube;Et5-IEi7U8k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5-IEi7U8k[/video]

John Harris is becoming one of my favourite journalists though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was a safe Tory seat, what were they expecting to happen?
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12

Not expecting to be 4th when they were 2nd in May 2015?
Reply 3
Original post by meenu89
Not expecting to be 4th when they were 2nd in May 2015?

Byelections, lower turnout etc. I'm just not convinced a lost byelection in a safe Tory seat is a sign of the end. You've got polls and other things for that. This latest result has not revealed anything we did not know before.
Original post by Aj12

They went from 2nd to 4th.

Also is was always closeish. In 97 it was a target seat.
Original post by Aj12
This latest result has not revealed anything we did not know before.

Like Labour are still screwed? :bigsmile:
Good video, thanks for sharing. It really gives an insight into the variety of reasons why people voted Leave (I wanted to remain).
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
They went from 2nd to 4th.

Also is was always closeish. In 97 it was a target seat.

17% of the vote to 10%. This is truly the end of the labour party.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour are going to be decimated at the next general election by UKIP in the north and the Lib Dems in the south.

The by election in a seat they were never going to win doesn't really change anything.
Labor are going the way of the Natural Law Party & the Home Rule League....

:wavey:
Original post by sr90
Labour are going to be decimated at the next general election by UKIP in the north.

Pundits have been saying that for like forever.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Pundits have been saying that for like forever.

Not really the same scenario now though is it?
Reply 12
The problem is Jezza its as if the Labour members never want a Labour government again voting in a clown- he is never in a million years a sensible candidate to vote in the general election. He is a threat to national security.
The first good news I have read today. :biggrin: Cause of death: suicide by Corbyn
Original post by Aj12

as others have said not being a distant 4th behind the kippers and the limp dems
Reply 15
It's connecting with the 28% that didn't bother turning out. Who they represent in the EU referendum is the least of their issues, i think from recent by-election and polling results is fair to predict a Tory landslide and labour wipe out, probably why Jeremy isn't bothered, i think he's planning on wiping out the MPs then getting his commie friends selected to stand in their seats for 2025 (i highly doubt he'll leave after 2020). Although i think when the boundary changes come in, Theresa will call a snap election
Original post by NahMush
The problem is Jezza its as if the Labour members never want a Labour government again voting in a clown- he is never in a million years a sensible candidate to vote in the general election. He is a threat to national security.

Kim-Il-jez while appealing to the trade union hardliners and certain kind of the islington set is unappealing to the the northern core vote ( as too airy fairy and more concerned about foreigners than what is happening at home, plus he;s not socially conservative and repressive enough for 'family values' old labourite) and to the floating voters - Bliar's 'Mondeo man' he's an utter joke ...

There's every indication that the manifesto for 2020 is going to be ' The longest suicide note in history vol II '
Reply 17
Original post by zippyRN
Kim-Il-jez while appealing to the trade union hardliners and certain kind of the islington set is unappealing to the the northern core vote ( as too airy fairy and more concerned about foreigners than what is happening at home, plus he;s not socially conservative and repressive enough for 'family values' old labourite) and to the floating voters - Bliar's 'Mondeo man' he's an utter joke ...

There's every indication that the manifesto for 2020 is going to be ' The longest suicide note in history vol II '

They will never win with him in charge- thats a fact.
Bloody old half dead people making bad votes cos their LONELY... "OOOOH IM SO RONERY"...

BAN OLD PEOPLE FROM VOTING

Spoiler

Original post by sr90
Not really the same scenario now though is it?

I doubt it will happen. UKIP are not a real party, they have no real base in society and FPTP makes it even harder.

That doesn't mean they wont be knackered. It just means red seats are not going to turn purple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending