The Student Room Group

Mock GCSES/IGCSES, how was it for you? 2016-2017

My school just did mock GCSES/IGCSES
Put down how you think things went in each subject:
I'll start:
History , we do WW1, WW2 Germany, Russia USSR, and China. These went okay but don't think I've aced it, I'm hoping for an A, History is usually one of my worst subjects.
Music: Last year (yr 10-end of years) I got one mark of a B, this year went amazing! Probably one of the few exams I feel went good this year.
RS: Last year I just fluked it and got a C- this year I really tried hard, so I think it went okayish.
Computer Science-Cambridge IGCSE: First paper went awfully ( I had the flu the first week so pretty much felt like crap so couldn't concentrate.) think I will do better but I aced paper 2 so hopefully i'll pull an A out of the bag.
Maths - gcse edexcel: Went awfully. But everyone found it bad. My school expects all A *s and A s , so everyone had to score pretty much full marks in the 11 plus, and according tot he teachers the second top set out of 7 average was 40% and this people are doing FSMQ as well… calculator wasn't impossible, but I feel sorry for other schools if we did that rubbish in it..
English Lit went pretty well I think, hopeful an A
English Lang- went quite badly, I'm not going to lie, my time management was absolutely rubbish.
French- listening- went alright
reading- pretty good
writing- not that good
ChemistryIGCSE AQA- it was the 2016 igcse aqa- went terribly for me which is bad as I heard the grade boundaries are high. Normally I ace chemistry but the paper was on all my weakest points- electrolysis- alkanes- alkenes and a lot of maths calcs- I'm hoping its all in my head.
Physics-IGCSE AQA- I think it went okayish
Biology-IGCSE AQA- went well.

Overall I feel really down by my mocks, I know I can do better . Did any other schools do the impossible maths gcse edexcel? Our school last year got 98% A *s and As in maths and i think this year our whole school will fail..
Having the flu didn't help either. I'll update on my actual results, which I get back next week. Hopefully other people did better!? post down below :smile:

.......................................…
ok got my results- maths - level 7+ like 1 mark of an 8 - boundaries were pretty low I think nationally
rs- A*
History- argh B literally worked so hard for this.. messed up and talked about the kappa putsch instead of the munich putsch- fail on my part. and harsh marking
music- A but my overall score was B due to compositions etc
biology- A
chemistry -A
Maths- I think a level 7/8- haven't got last paper back but boundaries aren't that high and not doing awfully (over 50 percent which a lot of people aren't.)
physics- A
french- A*- high As in all parts- oral,writing,listening and reading which makes an A*
English Lit- 6+ which sucks because i thought it went really well- haven't looked through it
English Lang- 5 (Everyone in my year got rubbish english mock results this year idk)
computer science- A my second paper made up for my mistakes in first- close to A*

Not sure what I'll be predicted off this but did my applications to other schools which require a 7 in english Lang- so I just said that was what I was predicted- bit worried about that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everyone thought our maths was easy, we did AQA. Becaus eif the new 1-9 system, our school doesn't really know what the grade boundaries might be!

I found all my exams okay but the on end I'm pleased with the most is with Chemistry which wasn't my first exam.

My computing exam (ocr) went okay I guess, we did the 2016 paper and I can't find the unofficial Mark scheme so I don't know if iceberg done terrible or not.

Also I'm really not liking the fact that our school won't tell us our results as we are having a mock results day
(edited 7 years ago)
so far this week ive done all my french listening and reading which went fine
and maths paper 3 which was ok but had questions we havent learnt yet so theres that most my exams start next week
I did the 3 edexcel GCSE maths papers and yea people came out crying 😬 it was veeery difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you aqa French like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GCSE mocks were this week (although I still have maths paper 3 and short course RS on Monday). I am also doing Edexcel maths and of the first two papers so far I found them both difficult, particularly paper 2 (calculator), there were some 5 mark questions I had to skip and even skipping those questions the time restraints were an issue and I only just finished both. Other than that here's how I've found my other exams so far:
History- I think it went fairly well, although I found the Germany section more difficult and had to make guesses at some of the dates which I couldn't for the life of me remember. Just about finished in time, although I would have liked to have had time to go over my paper and extend some of my answers as I feel some of them weren't long/ detailed enough.
French- listening and reading were both fine, there's a few questions I know I definitely got wrong and probably a few more on top of that, but overall it was alright
Spanish- pretty much the same as French, maybe a little harder but not by much. Although there are rumours that some people got Us which makes me a little more concerned haha
Full course RS- this was fine, and timing wasn't a problem either. Only thing was the fire alarm went off halfway through and caused a bit of a disruption lol
English lit- probably my most stressful exam, especially as I plan to take the subject next year so I always put a lot of pressure on myself when trying to write the essays which in fact makes them worse because I'm stressing. My answers got progressively worse as the paper went on, and by unseen poetry I'm not sure I was even making any sense oops
English lang- this was better but I don't think I wrote enough for the last question of section A reading, it was 20 marks and I only wrote a couple of lines more than I did for the 8 mark questions. Also my creative writing was pretty bad but oh well
Biology- the questions on the paper itself were pretty strange so I didn't like it, lots of weird graphs too
Chemistry- compared to biology this was a lot better, the questions were much more straightforward anyway lol
Physics- not as good as chemistry but not as bad as biology, I'm pretty sure we hadn't even covered some of the content in class

I guess the results will speak for themselves though :P
Original post by cgunter
I'll start:
History , we do WW1, WW2 Germany, Russia USSR, and China. These went okay but don't think I've aced it, I'm hoping for an A, History is usually one of my worst subjects.
Music: Last year (yr 10-end of years) I got one mark of a B, this year went amazing! Probably one of the few exams I feel went good this year.
RS: Last year I just fluked it and got a C- this year I really tried hard, so I think it went okayish.
Computer Science-Cambridge IGCSE: First paper went awfully ( I had the flu the first week so pretty much felt like crap so couldn't concentrate.) think I will do better but I aced paper 2 so hopefully i'll pull an A out of the bag.
Maths - gcse edexcel: Went awfully. But everyone found it bad. My school expects all A *s and A s , so everyone had to score pretty much full marks in the 11 plus, and according tot he teachers the second top set out of 7 average was 40% and this people are doing FSMQ as well… calculator wasn't impossible, but I feel sorry for other schools if we did that rubbish in it..
English Lang- went quite badly, I'm not going to lie, my time management was absolutely rubbish.
reading- pretty good
writing- not that good
ChemistryIGCSE AQA- it was the 2016 igcse aqa- went terribly for me which is bad as I heard the grade boundaries are high. Normally I ace chemistry but the paper was on all my weakest points- electrolysis- alkanes- alkenes and a lot of maths calcs- I'm hoping its all in my head.

Overall I feel really down by my mocks, I know I can do better . Did any other schools do the impossible maths gcse edexcel? Our school last year got 98% A *s and As in maths and i think this year our whole school will fail..
Having the flu didn't help either. I'll update on my actual results, which I get back next week. Hopefully other people did better!? post down below :smile:

so moist
Maths edexcel- I thought I did ok but my teacher said that I did really well so idk.
AQA science-We had mocks for 7/9 units. Went quite well-Hoping for A stars
English lit-absolutely horrific- Did revision the day before, and nothing I revised came up for nay of the papers so I basically winged it.I wrote the exam based off on what I remembered a year ago and on top of that it would be a miracle if anyone understood my handwriting.
English Lang-Went alright
French-I hate the listening so I guessed the last few pages.
Rs-Again, I did revision the day before so Idk how this one went.It was ok.
Computer science-Terrible;did no revision at all
Geography-went well

Overall ,I could have done much better if I wasn't procrastinating 99% of the time.
Our iGCSE's Terminals or Mocks are currently ongoing and I attempted Business Studies Paper 1 and 2 very well so hoping for a A or A*. Maths Paper 2 also went well so I am expecting a A or B. Other papers are due!
Reply 9
Is anybody able to provide some topics which are included in the maths mock as I'm finding the new maths papers really hard and would want to approach them in as much confidence as possible.
Reply 10
I think most went well but maths was filth
Reply 11
Original post by Ylasil
Everyone thought our maths was easy, we did AQA. Becaus eif the new 1-9 system, our school doesn't really know what the grade boundaries might be!

I found all my exams okay but the on end I'm pleased with the most is with Chemistry which wasn't my first exam.

My computing exam (ocr) went okay I guess, we did the 2016 paper and I can't find the unofficial Mark scheme so I don't know if iceberg done terrible or not.

Also I'm really not liking the fact that our school won't tell us our results as we are having a mock results day

How did you find the computing paper btw? I did the paper for my actual gcse exam (and got an A*) and it was extremely easy (imo) compared to the previous years exams.
Reply 12
Original post by Aklaol
How did you find the computing paper btw? I did the paper for my actual gcse exam (and got an A*) and it was extremely easy (imo) compared to the previous years exams.

I found that the difficulty was just the same as the older papers, I don't know why it had really low grade boundaries! My computing teacher said that she's going to make them higher because that's what next year's GCSEs are going to be like apparently. Do you have any tips on revising for computing?
Reply 13
Original post by cgunter
I'll start:
reading- pretty good
writing- not that good

Clever piece of .... If History is your worst, why do you expect an A????!?!?!?! WTF kms
My school is usually really good at maths and has a fairly high A/A* pass rate but the Edexcel maths mocks went horribly. The top set were predicted to have an average of a grade 8 maybe a grade 7 at the lowest but ended up with a grade 6 as their average. I also found the first calculator paper ridiculously hard and from what I remember it was just a bunch of algebra so the calculator didn't help much.
Reply 15
longting init
REALLY bad ;_;
I try so hard to revise for Edexcel maths! I literally printed out the specification out and am in the process of creating notes for it.
Revision is not the issue can someone please give me advice on how to tackle these problem solving questions?
In paper 1, we were given a simultaneous equation question with the circle equation and a linear, it was impossible to do.
How do I prepare for maths? Please include any exam skills and techniques. Thanks.
Original post by cgunter
I'll start:
reading- pretty good
writing- not that good

You sound confident with English Literature whereas I'm feeling like trash about it to be honest.
Got any tips?
Any websites that helped you?
Thanks.
Original post by maninblack00
Are you aqa French like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing aqa
Original post by pearlgrey
I'm doing aqa

How did you find the listening and reading mock

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest