The Student Room Group

(Difficult) Trigonometry

Yes, Gabzinc is asking for help once again. Sorry.

Spoiler

Having some difficulty with an entrance exam question which evidently has something to do with trigonometry. Can anybody offer clues as to the first step in working?

Here it is:
dulwichevil.png

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

divide each term by cosx....
Divide by cos(x) then work out tan(x)= -1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Moon Man
How is that difficult?

It's simple for A Level but this is an entrance exam for a GCSE student.

If you're a GCSE student and are not familiar with these type of questions then this is definitely not easy.
Original post by notnek
It's simple for A Level but this is an entrance exam for a GCSE student.

If you're not familiar with this type of question and haven't seen the identity before then this is definitely not easy.

Oh, I didn't read that part, my bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Oh, I didn't read that part, my bad.

don't think the op mentioned it anywhere on this thread anyway lol.
Reply 6
Thanks for the help so far guys, but I'm still a little confused :3

so dividing each side by cos x gives me:

tan x/cos x = sin x/cos^2 x

then using tan x = -1 gives me x= -45 (why do I do this?)

so both sides are equal to -root 2....

and then I'm lost. Sorry if I didn't make it clear, yes I'm a GCSE student. I don't understand this even with the new GCSE syllabus which has been made quite a bit harder :/

any more tips guys?
Reply 7
Original post by Gabzinc

and then I'm lost. Sorry if I didn't make it clear, yes I'm a GCSE student. I don't understand this even with the new GCSE syllabus which has been made quite a bit harder :/

any more tips guys?

They meant sinx+cosxcosx=0\dfrac{\sin x + \cos x}{\cos x} = 0, not the first equation
Reply 8
Original post by Gabzinc

any more tips guys?

You divided the wrong equation by cosx\cos x. Try dividing this equation by cosx\cos x:

sinx+cosx=0\sin x + \cos x = 0.

Try that and see what happens. Post you working if you get stuck.
Original post by Gabzinc

any more tips guys?

No tanx=sinxcosx tanx = \frac{sinx}{cosx} is what your given not what you need to solve.

you need to solve sinx+cosx=0 sinx + cosx =0
Reply 10
Original post by Ayman!
They meant sinx+cosxcosx=0\dfrac{\sin x + \cos x}{\cos x} = 0, not the first equation

Original post by notnek
You divided the wrong equation by cosx\cos x. Try dividing this equation by cosx\cos x:

sinx+cosx=0\sin x + \cos x = 0.

Try that and see what happens. Post you working if you get stuck.

Ohhh, right, will do. Doing the problem now:
Reply 11
Riiiiiigghhht... making progress I guess?

(sin x + cos x)/cos x = 0, so sin x /cos x + cos x/ cos x = 0

if tan x = -1, x must be -45

sin -45 / cos -45 = -1

cos -45/ cos -45 must be equal to one as anything divided by itself is 1.

-1 + 1 = 0!

so one the values are -45,
then +180 to make it fit the range, right?

so 45 and 135 are the answers, right? i hope
Reply 12
Original post by Gabzinc
Riiiiiigghhht... making progress I guess?

(sin x + cos x)/cos x = 0, so sin x /cos x + cos x/ cos x = 0

if tan x = -1, x must be -45

sin -45 / cos -45 = -1

cos -45/ cos -45 must be equal to one as anything divided by itself is 1.

-1 + 1 = 0!

so one the values are -45,
then +180 to make it fit the range, right?

so 45 and 135 are the answers, right? i hope

tan x = -1 is correct but I feel you've got that from another post and not derived it yourself. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Can you see how to get from here:

sin x /cos x + cos x/ cos x = 0

to here:

tan x = -1

?
Reply 13
Original post by notnek
tan x = -1 is correct but I feel you've got that from another post and not derived it yourself. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Can you see how to get from here:

to here:

tan x = -1

?

Yeah, someone mentioned tan x = -1 so I just put -1 into inverse tan on my calculator. But admittedly I have no idea how to get tan x = -1 from (sin x+ cos x)/cos x

the worst bit is that there are questions like this all over the paper. If I can't do it while spending an hour on it at home, I won't be able to do it in the exam :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Gabzinc
Yeah, someone mentioned tan x = -1 so I just put -1 into inverse tan on my calculator. But admittedly I have no idea how to get tan x = -1 from (sin x+ cos x)/cos x

the worst bit is that there are questions like this all over the paper. If I can't do it while spending an hour on it at home, I won't be able to do it in the exam :frown:

Do you know how to find least common multiples?

Remember that ab+cb=a+cb\dfrac{a}{b} + \dfrac{c}{b} = \dfrac{a+c}{b}.

I can essentially say that for an example where x = 2, x=2=1+1    x2=1+12=12+12x =2 = 1 + 1 \iff \dfrac{x}{2} = \dfrac{1+1}{2} = \dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{1}{2}.

Do you get how that works?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gabzinc

sin(x)+cos(x)=0\sin(x)+\cos(x)=0

Divide each term by cos(x)\cos(x), assuming cos(x)0\cos(x) \not= 0

sin(x)cos(x)+cos(x)cos(x)=0cos(x)\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}+\frac{ \cos(x) }{\cos(x)}=\frac{0}{\cos(x)}

Then the first term becomes tan(x)\tan(x) from the identity, and the second becomes 1, and the third is still 0.

So you're left with tan(x)+1=0\tan(x)+1=0 and rearrange for tan(x)\tan(x)
Reply 16
Original post by Gabzinc

Try to ignore other people's working and do the question yourself.

So you got to this equation which is correct:

There are two terms in this equation and both of them can be changed/simplified.

sinx / cosx is ?

cosx / cosx is ?

Try this and again post your thoughts if you get stuck.
Reply 17
Original post by Gabzinc
If I can't do it while spending an hour on it at home, I won't be able to do it in the exam :frown:

You start off by spending an hour on it at home - doesn't mean these sort of things will always take you an hour at home to do; with practice and understanding you'll be able to do it a lot quicker.

Anywho: from sinx+cosxcosx=0cosx\displaystyle \frac{\sin x+ \cos x}{\cos x} = \frac{0}{\cos x} you get sinxcosx+cosxcosx=0\displaystyle \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} + \frac{\cos x}{\cos x} = 0

Can you see why this is true? (rememember that a+bc=ac+bc\frac{a+b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c})

Then, can you simplify this? If so, what do you get?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by notnek

Original post by RDKGames

omg. It was in my face the whole time and I STILL didn't see this?
HUGE FACEPALM MOMENT

At least now in exams I won't make the same fatal mistake.

so sin x/cos x = tan x (as given in the formula)

and cos x/ cos x = 1

tan x + 1 =0
tan x = -1
x= -45

I'm so upset that I did not recognise this earlier!

Thanks a whole lot guys, but I have just one remaining question: why would you divide (sin x+ cos x) by cos x in the first place? Just in case a similar question comes up in the future.

Original post by Zacken
You start off by spending an hour on it at home - doesn't mean these sort of things will always take you an hour at home to do; with practice and understanding you'll be able to do it a lot quicker.

True. I am also planning to practice a little but of A/AS Level trig to help with my understanding a little.

EDIT: Also, I want to give out more rep to everyone but I can't rep you guys multiple times in a row :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gabzinc
omg. It was in my face the whole time and I STILL didn't see this?
HUGE FACEPALM MOMENT

At least now in exams I won't make the same fatal mistake.

so sin x/cos x = tan x (as given in the formula)

and cos x/ cos x = 1

tan x + 1 =0
tan x = -1
x= -45

I'm so upset that I did not recognise this earlier!

Thanks a whole lot guys, but I have just one remaining question: why would you divide (sin x+ cos x) by cos x in the first place? Just in case a similar question comes up in the future.

Glad to help :smile: You divide by cosine because then you have an identity you can use, it's just a decision made by inspecting the equation for long enough. It helps because then you simplify your equation down to a single variable of tan(x)\tan(x) for which you can solve.

But, er, while x=45x=-45 is true for the equation to hold, it is not a valid solution for this question because the range for it is 0x1800\leq x \leq 180. Are you able to hack around this one??
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest