The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what Kings' policy on resits is (as in resitting AS modules, not the whole a-level)? It's so unclear on the website! Thanks!
Original post by mcdcph
Does anyone know what Kings' policy on resits is (as in resitting AS modules, not the whole a-level)? It's so unclear on the website! Thanks!

Fine as long as you only take 2 years to complete your A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1142
the layout of tsr is keep on changing
Original post by studentsixth
I sent mine two days before the deadline and my interview was on the 6th! So I'm guessing not: Whatever way they decide how to interview people, don't get worried. The interview session lasts until April and most people won't even hear until January at the most! The worst thing you want to do is spend all your time worrying about a 'potential' interview when you have your A-Levels too!

The only uni that ever used to do this (I think) was Birmingham and even when they switched to the UKCAT, that stopped. They have about 4,000 applications to get through, they'll get to you trust me

This guy/gal is right. Some universities do it geographically (Aberdeen, for example, seems to interview mostly Scottish people in the first round of applications, and then spreads out from there), but often I think there is no rhyme or reason - the admissions selectors probably just get a randomly assorted application (from the pile of apps that got sent before the deadline), work on that one, and then move on...

... although it would be much nicer if they could work out a system based on something (alphabetical order, time of submission, etc), so that they could give you a rough date as to when you might hear back - it would certainly make the whole ordeal less stressful, wouldn't be too difficult to do, and would probably free up their office staff from some of the 'When do we hear?' emails/phone calls.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASTK98
Fine as long as you only take 2 years to complete your A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh thank you so much, I've already applied so I was really worrying:frown: could I just ask how you know? did you phone up and check with admissions? Thanks again!
Original post by mcdcph
Oh my gosh thank you so much, I've already applied so I was really worrying:frown: could I just ask how you know? did you phone up and check with admissions? Thanks again!

Well, I did a lot of resits last year (year 13) so I did a lot of research on this issue at the time. King's don't care whether you retook a couple of AS exams during year 13, as long as you only took 2 years to complete your A-Levels. I called up the admissions office to make sure at the time, but its also on their FAQ.

I've attached a screenshot on the bit about resits from their FAQ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1481475493.930075.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Well, I did a lot of resits last year (year 13) so I did a lot of research on this issue at the time. King's don't care whether you retook a couple of AS exams during year 13, as long as you only took 2 years to complete your A-Levels. I called up the admissions office to make sure at the time, but its also on their FAQ.

I've attached a screenshot on the bit about resits from their FAQ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1481475493.930075.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, that is really helpful! Best of luck 😊
Hello For GCSE i got :
A-Chemistry
A-Maths
A-Additional Maths
A-Geography
A-Food Techonology
A-ICT
B-Biology
B-Physics
C-English Lang(Hopefully getting a B in Jan after retake)
C-English Lit
C-French
For As-level I am taking triple science and maths.
I am wondering if my gcse results would have a negative effect when applying for medicine.And is it still possible for me to get a place for medicine if i do really weel in my A-levels even though doing not so great at GCSE?
Just got a rejection from King's yesterday at 9pm, I'm an international student with relatively low stats so I was kinda expecting this. King's was one of my dream schools since I was a little child so I do not regret applying and I wouldn't call it a waste of one of my four choices as applying to King's was an achievement on it's own and i'm proud that i gave it a go and took a chance. I Still have three more med schools to go, hopefully I hear back soon with an interview invite!
Oh jeez, my interview is tomorrow and reading this thread is terrifying me because it seems like no ones interview went as well as they wanted ://

I know no one can talk specifics, but was it really that bad?
Original post by 11alexandru-kore
Hello For GCSE i got :
A-Chemistry
A-Maths
A-Additional Maths
A-Geography
A-Food Techonology
A-ICT
B-Biology
B-Physics
C-English Lit
C-French
I am wondering if my gcse results would have a negative effect when applying for medicine.And is it still possible for me to get a place for medicine if i do really weel in my A-levels even though doing not so great at GCSE?

Can someone give me some feedback please.
Hello For GCSE i got :
A-Chemistry
A-Maths
A-Additional Maths
A-Geography
A-Food Techonology
A-ICT
B-Biology
B-Physics
C-English Lit
C-French

your gcses are not really ideal for applying to medicine as they do have an impact on selection, just apply to unis that don't focus on it as much as others and do extremely well in your ukcat. Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone give me some feedback please.

I wouldn't really advise applying to kings with your GCSES but I wouldn't let them put you off medicine as a whole. There are lots of unis that don't look at GCSES or don't put a lot of weight on them. Your AS and A level predictions are often more important. I would also look over the UKCAT and what it entails because if you cannot see yourself being able to perform well in such a test, you may need to put a bit more work in.
Basically, don't be put off, focus now on your studies and getting great A level predictions and you should just apply to places that put focus on your strengths.
Original post by Mo_elheramy
your gcses are not really ideal for applying to medicine as they do have an impact on selection, just apply to unis that don't focus on it as much as others and do extremely well in your ukcat. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your reply and thank you , i am in year 12 now .
Original post by tsr120
I wouldn't really advise applying to kings with your GCSES but I wouldn't let them put you off medicine as a whole. There are lots of unis that don't look at GCSES or don't put a lot of weight on them. Your AS and A level predictions are often more important. I would also look over the UKCAT and what it entails because if you cannot see yourself being able to perform well in such a test, you may need to put a bit more work in.
Basically, don't be put off, focus now on your studies and getting great A level predictions and you should just apply to places that put focus on your strengths.

Ok thanks for replying does Queen Mary focus on GCSE results because thats is where i really want to go
Ok thanks for replying does Queen Mary focus on GCSE results because thats is where i really want to go

Queen Mary looks at your ucas tariff score and ukcat so if you get really good a level grades and ukcat, you're safe.
Original post by jaysinn
Queen Mary looks at your ucas tariff score and ukcat so if you get really good a level grades and ukcat, you're safe.

Ok thanks thats good to here , have you applied to medicine? I wished i done better in my GCSE but im gonna try and make it up in my a levels.
Original post by jaysinn

Next year im thinking of applying to Queen Mary , UCL, Edinburgh , Aberdeen or Imperial. Do you think that I should not apply to any of these uni because of my gcse grades
Try and keep this thread on topic please.
Reply 1159
Next year im thinking of applying to Queen Mary , UCL, Edinburgh , Aberdeen or Imperial. Do you think that I should not apply to any of these uni because of my gcse grades

Hey kid,

Take this to private messaging. Completely veering off the thread's topic.

You can also find a lot of those answers on the respective school sites. Try researching a little and not be spoon fed - you'll need that skill at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending