The Student Room Group

My Final and Dire Attempt to Grow My Grades (A*AA)

WELCOME!

School
I'm in Year 13 and my exams start in June 2017. I am preparing to go to University so I want to finish my final year in Sixth Form with an academical bang! but I'm not doing quite well...
:redface:
My AS grades
(Edexcel)Drama & Theatre Studies = B
(AQA)Psychology = C
(AQA)Dance = D
(AQA)English Language & Literature = E
*Currently taking Drama & Theatre Studies, Psychology, and English Language & Literature

Spoiler

Personal
I am your average student. I'd like to call myself intellectually smart but honestly, I'm more of a harder worker than I am smart. Anyway, after achieving A*-C in my GCSEs(way below TSR standards), I got big-headed, I thought I could sail through my A-level years (with a bit of hard work here and there) but boy, did I wake up.

My parents were disappointed with my AS results, and my friends were shocked but happy with their grades, and I was happy for them whiles the glowing green monster lurked behind me...

So here I am trying to make some serious changes.
Lord God help me, and YOU

come along on my final and dire attempt to sail through A LEVELS
&
Grow My Grades

:titan:

Post Directory

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update 1

A week has passed since the start of this thread/blog.
I'm in the middle of my mocks with 3 English papers to go.
I realised that I missed a question on one of my Psychology papers because I accidentally covered it whiles answering another question. Fun.

Spoiler

I tested myself using past papers for my exam tomorrow and I got a D/C in it. That's a small start I guess.
Anyway, that's it for now

(edited 6 years ago)

Update 2

Review:

I've finished my mocks and I'm awaiting results. I don't want to focus too much on it because then I'm going to heavily criticize myself and stress way too much about it that I know I'm going to start breaking down. So I'm just holding it all together and channeling my energy elsewhere and into further revision.
Today, I've just finished making notes on the analysis part of my English coursework. I'm comparing the theme of Savagery in the Lord of the Flies and Kidulthood.
During the week, I watched Julius Caeser; a theatre performance at the Donmar Warehouse for an AS unit I'm re-doing for Drama. I have to write a 1000 words review, which shouldn't be too bad. Just have to be really concise and selective about my writing.
We've also started studying Faustus by Marlow for our written examination. I honestly love play! The whole deviation from God, the want to be a "mighty god" and the search for perfection, maybe it's because I'm a fanatic of Jesus Christ, I don't know, but I love it nevertheless! :biggrin:

Plans for this week:

Send off my UCAS Application

Be half way through the analysis part of my English Coursework

Finish off Psychology Homework: Research Methods; make notes on Nominal, Ordinal & Interval Data. Learn and memorise the test of difference and correlation table for each data.

Continue answering questions for Drama A2 coursework.

Hiii :h: Just wanted to say good luck with the blog and year 13!

What universities are you applying for and for what subject?? :smile:
Original post by Shaaayxp
Hiii :h: Just wanted to say good luck with the blog and year 13!

What universities are you applying for and for what subject?? :smile:

Hiii! Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by :h:
I've applied for psychology and education related courses at

University of York - Psychology in Education

Central School of Speech & Drama - Applied Drama, Theatre & Education

Edge Hill University - Educational Psychology

Roehampton University - Psychology & Counselling

Derby University - Creative Therapies (Drama)

* I chose these solely based on future prospects. I want to be Dramatherapist.

Feel free to ask anymore questions. I'll be happy to answer them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ask-questions

WELCOME!

You can refer to me as 'AQ'

School
I'm in Year 13 and my exams start in June 2017. I am preparing to go to University so I want to finish my final year in Sixth Form with an academical bang! but I'm not doing quite well...
:redface:
My AS grades
(Edexcel)Drama & Theatre Studies = B
(AQA)Psychology = C
(AQA)Dance = D
(AQA)English Language & Literature = E
*Currently taking Drama & Theatre Studies, Psychology, and English Language & Literature

Spoiler

Personal
I am your average/crossing the border, good student. I'd like to call myself intellectually smart but honestly, I'm more of a harder worker than I am smart. Anyway, after achieving A*-C in my GCSEs, the best among my friends and such, I thought I could sail through my A-level years like breeze (with a bit of hard work here and there) but boy, did reality wake me up.

My parents were disappointed with my AS results, and my friends were shocked but happy with their grades, and I was happy for them whiles the glowing greenish monster lurked behind me...

So here I am trying to make some serious changes.
Lord God help me, and YOU

come along on my final and dire attempt to sail through A LEVELS
&
Grow My Grades

:titan:

What did you achieve at GCSE, if I may ask?
Hiii! Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by :h:
I've applied for psychology and education related courses at

University of York - Psychology in Education

Central School of Speech & Drama - Applied Drama, Theatre & Education

Edge Hill University - Educational Psychology

Roehampton University - Psychology & Counselling

Derby University - Creative Therapies (Drama)

* I chose these solely based on future prospects. I want to be Dramatherapist.

Feel free to ask anymore questions. I'll be happy to answer them

I applied for psychology too! Or well just psychology.. What exam board and topics are you doing for psychology by the way?? :tongue:
Original post by AnonymousEric
What did you achieve at GCSE, if I may ask?

Hi Eric, thanks for stopping by!

Here's a breakdown of my GCSEs results

*hope this is enough information, if you want more information about my GCSEs grades and or experience please do feel free to ask :h:
I applied for psychology too! Or well just psychology.. What exam board and topics are you doing for psychology by the way?? :tongue:

Yeah, I don't want to do psychology on it's own, I personally prefer it's application. I weirdly like the humanistic approach and the biopsychology part of Psychology :tongue: and Cognitive development just might be a favorite of mine:smile:.

I'm studying AQA Psychology and the topics I'm studying are;
Aggression, Schizophrenia, Cognition Development & Issues and Debate along with the core ones.

What about you?
What board and subjects are you studying?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I weirdly like the humanistic approach and the biopsychology part of Psychology (surprisingly).
I'm studying AQA Psychology :/ - they are really annoying, with so much content to learn they claim to want quality over quantity...:colonhash: Anyway the topics I'm studying are;
Aggression, Schizophrenia, Cognition Development & Issues and Debate.

What about you?
What board and subjects are you studying?

Doing AQA too- issues and debate, gender schizophrenia and forensic for A2. And yeah I agree with you Biopsychology is surprisingly okay.

I get what you mean about the quality/quantity part. Last year was so structured with a long detailed description and thee evaluation paragraphs. This year I'm like: so should I do five evaluations or nah?? :confused: That's literally all I'm stuck on right now- essays. I don't mind the shorter questions tbh. Because I do understand the content :colonhash:
Why did you choose to continue with 4 A-levels, wouldn't dropping one help you out?
Doing AQA too- issues and debate, gender schizophrenia and forensic for A2. And yeah I agree with you Biopsychology is surprisingly okay.

I get what you mean about the quality/quantity part. Last year was so structured with a long detailed description and thee evaluation paragraphs. This year I'm like: so should I do five evaluations or nah?? :confused: That's literally all I'm stuck on right now- essays. I don't mind the shorter questions tbh. Because I do understand the content :colonhash:

Omg, same here! and well also time management :angelblush: and a couple of other stuff... hopefully it should get clearer.
Incase of anything I'd still say know 5 evaluation points but develop extremely well 3/4 evaluation points. Incase of anything, because AQA seem a bit wishy-washy to me :/
All's good though :h:
Original post by HopelessMedic
Why did you choose to continue with 4 A-levels, wouldn't dropping one help you out?

Oh, I did drop one, sorry if I didn't make it clear.:colondollar:
I dropped Dance and yeah my life is a lot easier.
(edited 7 years ago)
I totally understand how you feel with English! I had gotten an E at AS and I'm continuing it on in A2, a lot of stress but we can secure those A's!
Omg, same here! and well also time management :angelblush: and a couple of other stuff... hopefully it should get clearer.
Incase of anything I'd still say know 5 evaluation points but develop extremely well 3/4 evaluation points. Incase of anything, because AQA seem a bit wishy-washy to me :/
All's good though :h:

Urgh don't get me started on timing... But yeah I guess I should just write as much as I can
Original post by SlayingALevels
I totally understand how you feel with English! I had gotten an E at AS and I'm continuing it on in A2, a lot of stress but we can secure those A's!

I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE IN THIS!!!
:bawling:
Thank God I've met you! Which board are you studying and is it English language & literature or one or the either??
And yes it is stressful but I try not to think about it as well.
*speaks into existence*

We can and we shall secure that A!!!
Urgh don't get me started on timing... But yeah I guess I should just write as much as I can

Don't worry I won't and that's what always happens to me in exams
:lol:
I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE IN THIS!!!
:bawling:
Thank God I've met you! Which board are you studying and is it English language & literature or one or the either??
And yes it is stressful but I try not to think about it as well.
*speaks into existence*

We can and we shall secure that A!!!

I'm doing the AQA exam board for English Literature! I just had a mock and my hand is seriously broken! :frown:
Good luck ! Will be deffo watching your blog :smile: Please feel free to take a look at mine https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4228678&page=18
I feel for you :redface: hope it gets better! And AQA too *sighs
What can we do but to get on with it. Please keep me updated with your progress and I will keep you updated with mine via the blog. I'd love for us to keep motivating each other and everyone!! :ditto: :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending