The Student Room Group

The British Empire was a force for good, stop blaming the problems of today on it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MRNO
India had famines before the British Empire arrived there. The population never grow. The population exploded while the British were running things.

How did India have famines if they were representative of a quarter of the world's economy, WHO CARES ABOUT POPULATION????
GDP per cap , Standards of Living, HDI is what matters
Original post by 999tigger
I am simply admiring the power of your logic. What else do you like about the Nazi's other than they werent the Brits?

I do not like the Nazi's!!!!
Never have Never will
The ideology was so similar to the British empire
Innocent people dying was present in both empires
However 150m+ innocent deaths is unforgettable
Original post by Taran001
I do not like the Nazi's!!!!
Never have Never will
The ideology was so similar to the British empire
Innocent people dying was present in both empires
However 150m+ innocent deaths is unforgettable

So you admire their killing efficency. Well done you.
Reply 23
The Empire was terrible. I wish the Europeans had never tried to educate the savages. They spent so much money on these conquests, believing that they would bring them wealth and power, but they were wrong. The colonies weakened them.

Germany had a better military power and industrial output than France and the UK.

Admire it????
Clearly you have gotten the completely wrong and opposite idea
by unforgettable i mean, it was so bad it can never be forgotten,it was a travesty.

You seem to be a troll!
I said never liked them never will and you say i admire their killing efficiencies??
really???

tbf you do sound like a troll
Taran001 clearly said he is against Nazism
Reply 27
How did India have famines if they were representative of a quarter of the world's economy, WHO CARES ABOUT POPULATION????
GDP per cap , Standards of Living, HDI is what matters

People starved to death in India before the British Empire arrived, on mass. It is a fact. Is that not famines? The population was stagnant up until 1700's. It didn't grow due to deaths from disease and famine.

The population began to increase in late 1800s when the British empire brought a stable government after years of chaos and meagre technological improvement and lesser wars which reduced death rates.
Original post by MRNO
People starved to death in India before the British Empire arrived, on mass. It is a fact. Is that not famines? The population was stagnant up until 1700's. It didn't grow due to deaths from disease and famine.

The population began to increase in late 1800s when the British empire brought a stable government after years of chaos and meagre technological improvement and lesser wars which reduced death rates.

Your arguments are an irrelevant to what i am saying!!!!!!
You seem to be a troll!
I said never liked them never will and you say i admire their killing efficiencies??
really???

You are the one who mentioned your preference for the Nazis. I found that rather astounding.
You are the one who mentioned your preference for the Nazis. I found that rather astounding.

What PREFERENCE?????
Original post by AsianG99
tbf you do sound like a troll
Taran001 clearly said he is against Nazism

TBF I have no need to troll. he is the one saying hsi preference was for the Nazis.

Cant say I'm a fan myself.
Original post by Josb
The Empire was terrible. I wish the Europeans had never tried to educate the savages. They spent so much money on these conquests, believing that they would bring them wealth and power, but they were wrong. The colonies weakened them.

Germany had a better military power and industrial output than France and the UK.

I've gotten used to people using the term savage for non whites but the Irish were colonised by the empire as well so ??? :holmes:

Oh wait just googled. They thought the Irish were lazy savages too :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
TBF I have no need to troll. he is the one saying hsi preference was for the Nazis.

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IGHByjToO4
Also, i said that the Brit Empire did worse things than the nazi's
that doesn't mean i have a preference for the nazi's you interpreted that yourself thank you very much!
also if u watch the video i gave you, you will find out why Nazi Germany is not #1 worst empire in history.
Reply 34
Your arguments are an irrelevant to what i am saying!!!!!!

Oh really, because it seemed you are trying to blame the taxation of farms in India for massive famines that happened? A few posts back. Even though the population, health and life expectancy all increased during Empire years. The British Empire most have been monsters!

He said Brits did worse things than Nazi's which is true to be honest, first educate yourself on the brutality on the Brit Empire then you'd understand
Reply 36
Original post by MRNO
People still seem to blame the British Empire for everything that goes wrong in the badly run corrupt countries. This guy Awate says he doesn't feel British or English because he's a African Muslim. Because of what the British empire did 65 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8SZpv3jROo

The left’s view of Empire is that it was just pure exploitation and suppression. This is a complete lie. The British Empire did more to advance civilisation than any other force in history. Let’s look at some of what was achieved.

Rule of Law. Most places we arrived had no rule of law. Might was right. We put in the British legal system which gave the vast majority of people far more human rights than they had ever had before

Trade. The left spout that Empire was exploitative and merely extracted the wealth of other nations. This is a lie. Empire was all about trade, creating markets for British goods around the world whilst creating markets for global goods in Britain. And huge trade between all the different parts of Empire. This massively advanced the economy of the whole world.

Infrastructure. We established and maintained the world’s shipping routes, road systems everywhere we went, and railways including the world’s biggest system, in India. Our plumbing was famous and on the Mediterranean islands we ran, Cyprus, Malta, Rhodes, Corfu, Menorca etc it is safe to drink the tap water!

Education. In many nations we brought literacy for the first time and created widespread educational reform. When we found intellectual superstars we often brought them back to Britain to receive the world’s best education. Look up Srinivasa Ramanujan.

Slavery. The British led the world in trying to get rid of this. The Slave Trade Act of 1807 made the slave trade illegal throughout the British Empire, the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 made slavery totally illegal. Between 1808 and 1860, the Royal Navy’s West Africa Squadron seized approximately 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans who were aboard.

When Empire ended it was often not replaced by liberal democracy, instead a venal, avaricious ruling class took over and treated whole countries as personal fiefdoms. Very many countries went backwards and lots of people in the world would have preferred to have the Empire back.

So far from something to be ashamed of, the British Empire was one of mankind’s greatest ever achievements. It created the modern world that we all live in and everyone owes it a huge debt for the huge advance in civilisation that it brought. The left are very wrong about this, just as they are wrong about most things.

Look at Hong Kong since leaving Britain, they have suffered an oppressive regime culminating in the population asking Britain to re-colonise them! If British colonial rule was so bad, why would they do that?

I think it’s easy to rubbish the achievements of Britain, nothing in life is perfect. The mere notion of perfection is idiosyncratic. The world is an imperfect place.

The Irish would disagree.
Original post by MRNO
Oh really, because it seemed you are trying to blame the taxation of farms in India for massive famines that happened? A few posts back. Even though the population, health and life expectancy all increased during Empire years. The British Empire most have been monsters!

No they didnt, you dirty LIAR
Reply 38
Original post by mrno
oh really, because it seemed you are trying to blame the taxation of farms in india for massive famines that happened? A few posts back. Even though the population, health and life expectancy all increased during empire years. The british empire most have been monsters!

why u always lying!!
Hdi decreased
gdp decreased
health decreased
bengal famine mate look it up dumbo
Original post by AsianG99
No they didnt, you dirty LIAR

Awesome comeback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending