The Student Room Group

The British Empire was a force for good, stop blaming the problems of today on it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 999tigger
tbf i have no need to troll. He is the one saying hsi preference was for the nazis.

Cant say i'm a fan myself.

british were more brutal than nazi's indeed 150m dead nazi did 20m dead look at the stats dumbass are you that stupid
you are wrong tigger boy
im a brit myself and i know its the truth
Reply 41
Original post by AsianG99
No they didnt, you dirty LIAR

Don't join in this debate it is way to advanced for your level of understanding. I hear they are debating Bob the builder on another forum that might be more your cup of tea.
Original post by MRNO
Don't join in this debate it is way to advanced for your level of understanding. I hear they are debating Bob the builder on another forum that might be more your cup of tea.

Why you gotta be so rude?
Don't you know he's human too!
Why you gotta be so ruuuddddeeeee!
Original post by MRNO

10 years on TSR and you have 1 bar .... not surprised!
Original post by Taran001
10 years on TSR and you have 1 bar .... not surprised!

Ofc reps are what its all about.... really. Strewth.
Reply 45
Original post by Taran001
Why you gotta be so rude?
Don't you know he's human too!
Why you gotta be so ruuuddddeeeee!

Did You take history lessons at school? Or did you call it quits after kindergarten? At which point I can only assume you had reached your full and very limited potential.

Perhaps you need to start off by reading something like "Ladybird learning history books" age range 4-5 then come back and we'll see if you have improved any. Or Maybe we should start you off on a colouring book and see how you go from there.
Original post by MRNO
Did You take history lessons at school? Or did you call it quits after kindergarten? At which point I can only assume you had reached your full and very limited potential.

Perhaps you need to start off by reading something like "Ladybird learning history books" age range 4-5 then come back and we'll see if you have improved any. Or Maybe we should start you off on a colouring book and see how you go from there.

Haha Thanks for the Advice
Original post by 999tigger
Ofc reps are what its all about.... really. Strewth.

Haha nice joke
I think it is important to get away from personal attacks and back to the issue at hand.

I agree that the British Empire is not responsible for most problems today. I also think that the BE has advanced many aspects of culture and technology and helped to spread those achievements.

But I also believe that these achievements were bought at a terrible price, as it was the case with most great empires e. g. the Romans with their slaves.

As for Nazis, I think such evil deeds in general should not be compared in quality. In quantity however the BE was worse, as has been said before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by MRNO

Seems like all you're doing is insulting people, when you've failed to address the points made. You've failed, miserably.
Reply 50
Original post by StrawbAri
I've gotten used to people using the term savage for non whites but the Irish were colonised by the empire as well so ??? :holmes:

Oh wait just googled. They thought the Irish were lazy savages too :holmes:

Ireland was conquered and colonised between the 12th and the 17th century. I don't think it can be linked to the "Empire", which is a 19th century concept in the context of this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by .paak
Seems like all you're doing is insulting people, when you've failed to address the points made. You've failed, miserably.

You failed in life. Your arguments are worthless, not really worth arguing over.
In my final year I had a module on the Indian ocean (history) which inevitably covered the British empire. Somewhat ironically, my lecturer was half Indian and half British. In the seminar when it came to analyse the impact the empire had, I distinctly remember the sigh of caution he gave - there was both very good and very bad consequences. And anyone who gave a simply 'good' or 'bad' analysis tended to have political agenders driving it.

Also, where the British intended for the outcomes (good or bad) isnt especially central.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrawbAri
The motivation for it was less than 'good'.
Please don't pretend like the British thought of the people in the colonies as anything more than dirty savages that needed amazing whitey to save them.

It's not like they did bad things to non whites only. The Irish also suffered

The motivation was essentially economic. Though they undoubtedly didn't view others as equals, their opinion of them, however derogatory, was only ever a second thought.

Money, money, money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. slave trade
2. imperialism
3. debt-slavery
4. hmm idk invasion????
5. shut the **** up before i kick ya spine in
for me, Aside from writing an essay, I would summerise the british empire as:

Mixed.

People on this thread are getting in a muddle because they are arguing on two different levels and answering different questions..

The OP is focusing on the human race and progress in general..
Taran and the other replies are focusing on the colonies and its effects on them..

I personally would suggest that they are both correct.

The OP is right that the british empire was a brutal, but overal force for good in the world. It pushed ahead progress, and was one of the leading forces in industrializing us, and laying the foundation for the globalization that eventually is happening now. It shrunk the world, and brought communication and resource cooperation to an all-time high, allowing for centuries of increased progress.

However, the cost of this progress was paid for by the lives and countries that came under it. Some did prosper and flourished.. but many suffered brutally under the empire, and whilst I would take issue with the numbers given on the thread, millions certainly did die.

The biggest shame of the empire though, is in its legacy. In many countries the hand-over of power was conducted awfully, and the UK was far to willing to give up control to leaders who would end up exploiting their country and damaging their people to a far greater extent then the UK did. When we look at the commonwealth today, there is a huge divide between those countries that have flourished, and those that are still struggling, and a lot can be attributed to that transition.

---

So overall, the empire (like most empires that have come before) did a lot of good for humanities progress as a whole.. but at the cost of many many lives. Its up to individuals to decide whether the increased spread of progress was worth the cost.
Original post by MRNO
People still seem to blame the British Empire for everything that goes wrong in the badly run corrupt countries. This guy Awate says he doesn't feel British or English because he's a African Muslim. Because of what the British empire did 65 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8SZpv3jROo

The left’s view of Empire is that it was just pure exploitation and suppression. This is a complete lie. The British Empire did more to advance civilisation than any other force in history. Let’s look at some of what was achieved.

Rule of Law. Most places we arrived had no rule of law. Might was right. We put in the British legal system which gave the vast majority of people far more human rights than they had ever had before

Trade. The left spout that Empire was exploitative and merely extracted the wealth of other nations. This is a lie. Empire was all about trade, creating markets for British goods around the world whilst creating markets for global goods in Britain. And huge trade between all the different parts of Empire. This massively advanced the economy of the whole world.

Infrastructure. We established and maintained the world’s shipping routes, road systems everywhere we went, and railways including the world’s biggest system, in India. Our plumbing was famous and on the Mediterranean islands we ran, Cyprus, Malta, Rhodes, Corfu, Menorca etc it is safe to drink the tap water!

Education. In many nations we brought literacy for the first time and created widespread educational reform. When we found intellectual superstars we often brought them back to Britain to receive the world’s best education. Look up Srinivasa Ramanujan.

Slavery. The British led the world in trying to get rid of this. The Slave Trade Act of 1807 made the slave trade illegal throughout the British Empire, the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 made slavery totally illegal. Between 1808 and 1860, the Royal Navy’s West Africa Squadron seized approximately 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans who were aboard.

When Empire ended it was often not replaced by liberal democracy, instead a venal, avaricious ruling class took over and treated whole countries as personal fiefdoms. Very many countries went backwards and lots of people in the world would have preferred to have the Empire back.

So far from something to be ashamed of, the British Empire was one of mankind’s greatest ever achievements. It created the modern world that we all live in and everyone owes it a huge debt for the huge advance in civilisation that it brought. The left are very wrong about this, just as they are wrong about most things.

Look at Hong Kong since leaving Britain, they have suffered an oppressive regime culminating in the population asking Britain to re-colonise them! If British colonial rule was so bad, why would they do that?

I think it’s easy to rubbish the achievements of Britain, nothing in life is perfect. The mere notion of perfection is idiosyncratic. The world is an imperfect place.

"Hurr durr muh empire"

Outside of your walled garden in Britain, these "achievements" are notorious for being one of, if not the most brutal, vile and murderous empires to plague the world.

You're an absolute idiot if you're trying to make excuses for one of the largest sources of slavery, murder and systematic oppression the world has ever seen.
Original post by fallen_acorns
for me, Aside from writing an essay, I would summerise the british empire as:

Mixed.

People on this thread are getting in a muddle because they are arguing on two different levels and answering different questions..

The OP is focusing on the human race and progress in general..
Taran and the other replies are focusing on the colonies and its effects on them..

I personally would suggest that they are both correct.

The OP is right that the british empire was a brutal, but overal force for good in the world. It pushed ahead progress, and was one of the leading forces in industrializing us, and laying the foundation for the globalization that eventually is happening now. It shrunk the world, and brought communication and resource cooperation to an all-time high, allowing for centuries of increased progress.

However, the cost of this progress was paid for by the lives and countries that came under it. Some did prosper and flourished.. but many suffered brutally under the empire, and whilst I would take issue with the numbers given on the thread, millions certainly did die.

The biggest shame of the empire though, is in its legacy. In many countries the hand-over of power was conducted awfully, and the UK was far to willing to give up control to leaders who would end up exploiting their country and damaging their people to a far greater extent then the UK did. When we look at the commonwealth today, there is a huge divide between those countries that have flourished, and those that are still struggling, and a lot can be attributed to that transition.

---

So overall, the empire (like most empires that have come before) did a lot of good for humanities progress as a whole.. but at the cost of many many lives. Its up to individuals to decide whether the increased spread of progress was worth the cost.

I cant rate on the app, but it's the first post ive seen which actually has a handle on the issues, rather than a crap fest between political ideologues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by frankielogue
1. slave trade
2. imperialism
3. debt-slavery
4. hmm idk invasion????
5. shut the **** up before i kick ya spine in

Guess what. The British Empire didn't invent slavery, it has been going on since Egyptian times.

The British Empire never invented war either. People have made war since Homosapien wiped out the Neanderthals. Tribes have killed and took over other tribes for thousands of years, and countries took over countries in all that time. The British Empire just happened to be better than everyone else. If the spear wielding primitives had invented guns and modern warfare who's to say the world would be any different?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by DMcGovern
"Hurr durr muh empire"

Outside of your walled garden in Britain, these "achievements" are notorious for being one of, if not the most brutal, vile and murderous empires to plague the world.

You're an absolute idiot if you're trying to make excuses for one of the largest sources of slavery, murder and systematic oppression the world has ever seen.

Do you get off on saying that pathetic crap? That really is the most stupid and ridiculous statement! It actually offends me the level of intelligence you must have must be so low. Just how idiotic are you? That is biggest pile of ass gravy I have heard in a long time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending