The Student Room Group

What can I do after graduating with an ordinary degree?

Hi, I have a few questions I have been unable to find the answers for on the web, and I would really appreciate some advice :smile:

I started uni in 2012 and though I received DSA and in class support, I still really struggled, and ended up graduating with only an ordinary degree (I was unable to complete my dissertation).

I don't feel like I really took anything in that I was supposed to be learning, and my work was barely passable. I'm so disappointed in myself and unsure now of what route to take.

I would really like to continue with education, especially now that I have been properly diagnosed and better know my limits and how I work (which would hopefully allow me to take better advantage of the support offered).

My questions:

1) Can DSA, student loans, grants etc be received more than once for students with disabilities? (Bear in mind, I had already gotten extra funding to repeat my first year after my dad passed away).

2) Is it possible for a student with a grade they are unhappy with to redo the course, either at the same uni or a different one?

3) Can a student with an ordinary degree be accepted onto a postgraduate course?

4) Can an ordinary degree be topped up?

5) Can a graduate apply for undergrad courses in other subjects?
Your ordinary dgeree can be topped up to a degree with honours. Have you talked to your tutor / uni about this?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your ordinary dgeree can be topped up to a degree with honours. Have you talked to your tutor / uni about this?

Hi, thanks for the reply 🙂

No, I haven't spoken to any of my tutors since before I graduated, we didn't mesh well (they weren't very easy to work with when it came to my illness, and I got the feeling they were glad to get rid of me).
It is extremely rare that any one will have another undergraduate degree for. The only exception, usually, is grad entry nursing/medicine. You probably won't be entitled to that much of a loan again simply because of your disability. You could, however, get it topped up to an honours degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fxlloutboyy
It is extremely rare that any one will have another undergraduate degree for. The only exception, usually, is grad entry nursing/medicine. You probably won't be entitled to that much of a loan again simply because of your disability. You could, however, get it topped up to an honours degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply 🙂 Do you know how I would go about doing that? For example, would I contact the uni I attended? Or could I go somewhere else or do something on the Open University, etc?

Thanks
I'd speak to your university about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest