The Student Room Group

IB subjects for fashion

What subjects should I take to pursue a career in fashion?
Original post by Selena2000
What subjects should I take to pursue a career in fashion?

What are you options? and what sort of career?

A visual arts subject (art, photography, design) would be useful if you're looking to get into design or photography - and even if you're more focused on a business/marketing career understanding visual arts will be useful
A communication subject (English, media) would be useful whichever career you're looking into
A business subject (business, economics) depending on how practical the course is this could help in understanding the drivers of the industry
A social sciences subject (sociology, psychology etc) fashion is about people - that means understanding how to unpick society and psychology in a way that makes sense.

If you're considering more technical aspects then IT/computing/computer science or physics/maths/chemistry would be useful in terms of getting the basics for materials science and manufacturing/design
Reply 2
I'm looking at fashion design and my subjects are
HL native language Business and ART
and SL Math Environmental Science and English
I still have an option to change a few
Original post by Selena2000
I'm looking at fashion design and my subjects are
HL native language Business and ART
and SL Math Environmental Science and English
I still have an option to change a few

That looks like a good selection - fashion is such a broad industry that whatever you study at IB will bring something that can be applied to fashion. If you want to get into design then Art is an absolute definite requirement (and business will be very useful), the rest is down to your other interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending