The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Me so...?
Best of luck to those starting today. I am very jealous especially as I have just received the following reasons 1320/16 campaign:

20161212_115752.jpg

Absolutely fuming that I'm not likely to start until March 2017 having held on since June!

Is anyone else in the same boat?

So having received the above e-mail yesterday, I have just received my formal offer for London today :biggrin:

Also Croydon and National Minimum Wage department. Anyone know anything about the type of work I'm likely to be doing in this department?
Reply 3061
Original post by jay191
Hmm... actually you can apply for internal jobs on promotion during your probation period, although it does depend if the job allows it as some jobs don't allow people in probation to apply. I've applied while on my probation (although obviously I wasn't successful!). And there's no discussion with your manager and your manager doesn't verify your competency examples. Well at least this doesn't happen in Croydon.

As far as I am aware if you're offered the HO post after you accept the O role you'll be able to move to the HO post as it's a higher grade.

Croydon clearly not following guidance as it clearly states that you should discuss with your line manager and have them verify your competency examples and before you apply for a job internally it actually asks you to tick a box stating that you have done that.
Reply 3062
So having received the above e-mail yesterday, I have just received my formal offer for London today :biggrin:

Also Croydon and National Minimum Wage department. Anyone know anything about the type of work I'm likely to be doing in this department?

I just received my offer to! Same place and same department!
Original post by Sb06

I received my offer for Croydon last Friday. Starting on 14th Jan with the NMW department
Has anybody had an offer for January start in Liverpool, Bootle or Manchester?
Original post by Annialfi
Has anybody had an offer for January start in Liverpool, Bootle or Manchester?

I've got a January start in Manchester
Reply 3066
Anybody got Stratford yet. Thinking I should have taken Croydon when I was given the choice
Original post by Sb06

Awe nice to know I'm not starting alone! Any idea what kind of work we will be doing?

Original post by mabze
Anybody got Stratford yet. Thinking I should have taken Croydon when I was given the choice

I was tempted to call them and ask whether there's any way I could hold off for Stratford as Croydon is an hour and a half away compared to 20 mins! How long have you been waiting so far?
Original post by keeleyvic
I've got a January start in Manchester

When did you hear, is it 16/01 and what department? I had to turn down first offer to Liverpool due to length of notice so jobless from January and panicking.
Reply 3069
Awe nice to know I'm not starting alone! Any idea what kind of work we will be doing?

I was tempted to call them and ask whether there's any way I could hold off for Stratford as Croydon is an hour and a half away compared to 20 mins! How long have you been waiting so far?

I'm from the Feb 2016 pool. Got a provisional offer for Stratford in August. Passed checks in October but still no start date. My travel situation is similar to yours.
Original post by Annialfi
When did you hear, is it 16/01 and what department? I had to turn down first offer to Liverpool due to length of notice so jobless from January and panicking.

Heard about 3 days ago. Yeah I start 16th in minimum wage department. Ah how longs your notice?!
Reply 3071
I spoke of them again about Stratford. They said they are having space issues as they can't house everyone. They said they haven't had any start dates come up for Stratford in a while, and when they are they are done in merit order.

That's why I took croydon even though it's 2 hrs each way and Stratford would be like 50-60min.
Reply 3072

Apparently NMW is alot of on site client based work. Pretty much travelling to different businesses to audit them in regard to NMW. Doubt we will do much of that at the beginning but that's just what I've been told but take it with a punch of salt 😊
Reply 3073
Original post by JR4564
I spoke of them again about Stratford. They said they are having space issues as they can't house everyone. They said they haven't had any start dates come up for Stratford in a while, and when they are they are done in merit order.

That's why I took croydon even though it's 2 hrs each way and Stratford would be like 50-60min.

What number did you call. I was given an offer at Stratford but bit anxious they might take it away.
Reply 3074
Original post by mabze
What number did you call. I was given an offer at Stratford but bit anxious they might take it away.

All by email. Id advise contacting them
Original post by kezxo
Croydon clearly not following guidance as it clearly states that you should discuss with your line manager and have them verify your competency examples and before you apply for a job internally it actually asks you to tick a box stating that you have done that.

At no point in applying for internal vacancies on CS Jobs are you asked to tick a box stating that you've discussed your application with your manager. You're asked to confirm on submitting it that everything you've stated is true to the best of your knowledge.

Whilst internal guidance states that you should discuss your application with your manager before applying that just isn't enforceable, you could be using competency examples from other roles that your manager has no idea of so how could they verify what you're submitting is truthful?

Personally I would see it as common courtesy to inform your manager that you're applying for a job but I wouldn't discuss it with them before hand. As long as I met the eligibility criteria then I'm free to apply for anything I want. Also, your manager can't stop you applying for any HMRC job on promotion providing you don't have any disciplinary restrictions.
Reply 3076
Original post by JR4564
All by email. Id advise contacting them

I have. When I use my private email, they just ignore me. I have to use my civil service one and that usually gets a response which is pretty unfair for some people
Original post by pukahontas
At no point in applying for internal vacancies on CS Jobs are you asked to tick a box stating that you've discussed your application with your manager. You're asked to confirm on submitting it that everything you've stated is true to the best of your knowledge.

Whilst internal guidance states that you should discuss your application with your manager before applying that just isn't enforceable, you could be using competency examples from other roles that your manager has no idea of so how could they verify what you're submitting is truthful?

Personally I would see it as common courtesy to inform your manager that you're applying for a job but I wouldn't discuss it with them before hand. As long as I met the eligibility criteria then I'm free to apply for anything I want. Also, your manager can't stop you applying for any HMRC job on promotion providing you don't have any disciplinary restrictions.

I'm not sure why you would need to tell anyone if your applying for a job or not? Surely that's your business and your business alone?
Reply 3078
Original post by mabze
I have. When I use my private email, they just ignore me. I have to use my civil service one and that usually gets a response which is pretty unfair for some people

If replying on hotmail if you hit reply all and then scroll down to the previous email it will show that someone sent it on behalf of the main mailbox. it will show their name and email address. email them directly - that's how I got responses within the hour (sometimes within 20 mins). also brilliant when they forget to remove their number from their signature and you can call them directly
Original post by kezxo
Training is not 3 months it's never been three months there will be exams and also practical application which also needs to be passed and have your manager, their manager and tax academy sign off on before you're classed as being substantive. Some holidays are allowed but it is frowned upon taking holidays during training as it's so fast paced it's difficult to keep up with. They give you specific times off in the training timetable.

I've started today and was told there are now no exams at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending