The Student Room Group

Should I Resit? HELP

First off, I am hoping to study mathematics at the best possible university for me.

York university accepted me for mathematics, which I am happy about, however it was only my insurance choice. I was expecting to achieve my firm uni (Bath) but because of personal issues during the summer exams I under performed meaning that I missed out.

So I would just like some advice about resitting (Do you believe I should resit or just go with York?).
I am fearful that resitting could just be a huge waste of a year and lead to me preforming worse when I eventually go to uni. However, I really want to go to a university that I know I deserve. Bath is ranked at 7th for Maths whereas York is only 26th.

Studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics at alevel I achieved ABB (AAAB at AS). I was only 3 ums off an A* in maths. So I am confident I could easily push these grades to where I need in order to go to a better university.

Sorry for writing so much about myself but I am just very worried about the whole thing. Thanks in advance for any help you give :smile:
Original post by heatcool
First off, I am hoping to study mathematics at the best possible university for me.

York university accepted me for mathematics, which I am happy about, however it was only my insurance choice. I was expecting to achieve my firm uni (Bath) but because of personal issues during the summer exams I under performed meaning that I missed out.

So I would just like some advice about resitting (Do you believe I should resit or just go with York?).
I am fearful that resitting could just be a huge waste of a year and lead to me preforming worse when I eventually go to uni. However, I really want to go to a university that I know I deserve. Bath is ranked at 7th for Maths whereas York is only 26th.

Studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics at alevel I achieved ABB (AAAB at AS). I was only 3 ums off an A* in maths. So I am confident I could easily push these grades to where I need in order to go to a better university.

Sorry for writing so much about myself but I am just very worried about the whole thing. Thanks in advance for any help you give :smile:

I think that you should as for a remark in Maths, and you may end with a better grade. Furthermore, if you really really love Bath, you should resit the year. However, you could always go to York and later on do a master on a very good university.
Reply 2
Original post by Belieber1234
I think that you should as for a remark in Maths, and you may end with a better grade. Furthermore, if you really really love Bath, you should resit the year. However, you could always go to York and later on do a master on a very good university.

Thanks for advice, it means a lot. I will definitely look at getting my Maths module remarked as I guess I have nothing to lose.
Reply 3
I know that you are going to Bath now @SeanFM Do you know anything that could help me?
Original post by heatcool
I know that you are going to Bath now @SeanFM Do you know anything that could help me?

If you love Bath then it is worth reapplying. Rankings are not the only thing to go by though, but I would say yeah, Bath is probably worth it.

I love most things about Bath and maths. They offer a MathSci course (which, unless you want to do a masters in Maths at Bath, is the course to be on for Maths but you get to decide/change in the first year anyway) and the first year modules are pretty good, second year is a bit meh and then third year it gets interesting again. Second year isn't completely bad but it can just be a bit icky/difficult at times but not impossible - that's the thing here, if you work hard then you are guaranteed to do well. If you don't do much work apart from close to exam time, you'll do okay. The placement years are a nice option, invaluable really.

So yeah, in my opinion anything you can think of about Bath is probably good/decent. The only complaint I have is about apart from one or two modules that I didn't really like is the timetabling, which depends on what units you do and it's not specific to Bath / changes by year but I don't like having 4 out of 4 hours on a Wednesday (you can have up to 4 hours of lectures up to 1pm and then the rest of the day is off) as well as multiple 9am lectures and 6 o'clock finishes. Those are fine in the first year but much more difficult in second year. Plus odd gaps between lectures, and exams could be spaced out a bit more but some departments have it worse, like 4-5 in 10 days. but anyway, that's what I like about Bath and I'd say go for it :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
If you love Bath then it is worth reapplying. Rankings are not the only thing to go by though, but I would say yeah, Bath is probably worth it.

I love most things about Bath and maths. They offer a MathSci course (which, unless you want to do a masters in Maths at Bath, is the course to be on for Maths but you get to decide/change in the first year anyway) and the first year modules are pretty good, second year is a bit meh and then third year it gets interesting again. Second year isn't completely bad but it can just be a bit icky/difficult at times but not impossible - that's the thing here, if you work hard then you are guaranteed to do well. If you don't do much work apart from close to exam time, you'll do okay. The placement years are a nice option, invaluable really.

So yeah, in my opinion anything you can think of about Bath is probably good/decent. The only complaint I have is about apart from one or two modules that I didn't really like is the timetabling, which depends on what units you do and it's not specific to Bath / changes by year but I don't like having 4 out of 4 hours on a Wednesday (you can have up to 4 hours of lectures up to 1pm and then the rest of the day is off) as well as multiple 9am lectures and 6 o'clock finishes. Those are fine in the first year but much more difficult in second year. Plus odd gaps between lectures, and exams could be spaced out a bit more but some departments have it worse, like 4-5 in 10 days. but anyway, that's what I like about Bath and I'd say go for it :tongue:

Do Bath look down upon students who are resitting (for Economics though)? Just been told this by someone but haven't found this in many places except for the Telegraph I think, but there it says they do for some courses, doesn't specify which; now I really won't be surprised if they don't give me an offer ahah; Business Studies + Economics & Resit = :frown:
Original post by azizadil1998
Do Bath look down upon students who are resitting (for Economics though)? Just been told this by someone but haven't found this in many places except for the Telegraph I think, but there it says they do for some courses, doesn't specify which; now I really won't be surprised if they don't give me an offer ahah; Business Studies + Economics & Resit = :frown:

Not sure sorry, I would suggest emailing [email protected] or speaking to @University Of Bath

Good luck and come on you whites 🙌🏾
Original post by SeanFM
Not sure sorry, I would suggest emailing [email protected] or speaking to @University Of Bath

Good luck and come on you whites 🙌🏾

Okeyy thanks, and yes Wembley here I come lool
Original post by azizadil1998

Hi,

I am a second year International Management student here at the University of Bath. Please see this page for our entry requirements for the economics course. If you contact [email protected], they can explain if retaking a unit affects your chances of receiving an offer.

I certainly would not say that students who retake subjects are looked down upon, on my course I know very few of my course mates A-Level results. My results have never come up in conversation with lecturers and teachers. I have some friends from school who retook exams and achieved a place at Bath with no problems.

I hope that this helps,
Hayden
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

I am a second year International Management student here at the University of Bath. Please see this page for our entry requirements for the economics course. If you contact [email protected], they can explain if retaking a unit affects your chances of receiving an offer.

I certainly would not say that students who retake subjects are looked down upon, on my course I know very few of my course mates A-Level results. My results have never come up in conversation with lecturers and teachers. I have some friends from school who retook exams and achieved a place at Bath with no problems.

I hope that this helps,
Hayden

Oh I see, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest