The Student Room Group

Rbs 2017

Hi,

I'm applying for a graduate position in analysis and business solutions and was wondering if anyone has attended an assessment centre this year? I passed their telephone interview stage a couple weeks ago but have not heard anything since. I also had to change my location two times during the process.

Additionally if anyone is in the process or is planning on applying and have a question, feel free to ask! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sg101_
Hi, I have a telephone interview with RBS for Analysis and Business Solutions but for the Summer Internship programme. I just wanted to ask whether your interview was a strengths-based interview and the sort of questions they asked? Congrats for passing the telephone interview! :smile:

Thank you :smile:

The telephone interview is a strengths-based interview. From what I remember the first questions are motivational questions like "Why RBS?" and "Why are you applying for this role?" Then the other questions they ask are about specific qualities like for integrity/honesty they asked me to give an example of a time where I did the right thing or for customer service they asked for an example of when I gave excellent customer service. I remember finding some questions that people were asked in their telephone interviews on Glassdoor :smile:
Original post by Fumi
Thank you :smile:

The telephone interview is a strengths-based interview. From what I remember the first questions are motivational questions like "Why RBS?" and "Why are you applying for this role?" Then the other questions they ask are about specific qualities like for integrity/honesty they asked me to give an example of a time where I did the right thing or for customer service they asked for an example of when I gave excellent customer service. I remember finding some questions that people were asked in their telephone interviews on Glassdoor :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Hello, has anyone attended an AC yet? I passed my telephone interview back in November and still waiting to be "shortlisted" for an AC.

Is this their way of saying I'm good but not quite good enough 😂
Reply 4
Original post by Fumi
Hi,

I'm applying for a graduate position in analysis and business solutions and was wondering if anyone has attended an assessment centre this year? I passed their telephone interview stage a couple weeks ago but have not heard anything since.

Have you been invited to an AC yet? I am still waiting to be shortlisted, having passed the telephone interview late November.
Reply 5
Original post by Flipper92
Have you been invited to an AC yet? I am still waiting to be shortlisted, having passed the telephone interview late November.

I was recently invited to an AC but it clashed with one of my exams so I'm currently waiting for a future AC date. I heard that they rank their candidates and invite them in that order. Are they still accepting applications for the scheme you have applied to? I find RBS are quite slow when inviting candidates for ACs but don't give up yet!
Hi
I attended their AC back in November for their HR programme and since have been offered a position. They are SO SLOW at everything. So don't panic!!
I also think they extended their deadlines for a few programmes and they have another HR AC scheduled for next week.
But any questions about the AC just ask :smile: even though the programmes might be different!
Reply 7
Hi, I've got an assessment centre for next week - also HR. What did the day include? Also were you able to specify your preferred location for the scheme? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Samk1
Hi, I've got an assessment centre for next week - also HR. What did the day include? Also were you able to specify your preferred location for the scheme? Thanks in advance!

Hi
The day involved a group discussion about making an app for online banking, then you had to do an individual 10min presentation based upon the group discussion. An interview and then some case study tasks on a computer which required you to respond to emails.
The tasks were all ok actually :smile: just a lot of waiting about in between. There are 12 candidates and 6 assessor and then one person running it all.
No you can't specify your location, and this is something I've found misleading about the scheme. You actually do 4 6month rotations across their locations primarily in Manchester and Edinburgh. So you could end up in Manchester for 6 months then have to move to Edinburgh for a year before going back to Manchester for your final placement. They said they place people based upon the needs of the business (understandable) but I don't think they've made it very clear the way their location works. I was under the impression, when I applied, that I would be given a location (which I could state a preference of) and be based there for 2 years- but that's not the case.
Hope that makes sense!
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 9
Thanks so much!! How long after the day did they make you an offer? Fingers crossed it goes well. I currently live in Manchester so I was hoping I could stay here and maybe only have to do one rotation up in Edinburgh :frown: did they tell you when they'd let you know where you'd be based and do they map out the rotations for you if that makes sense? Or do you find out as the scheme progresses? Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Samk1
Thanks so much!! How long after the day did they make you an offer? Fingers crossed it goes well. I currently live in Manchester so I was hoping I could stay here and maybe only have to do one rotation up in Edinburgh :frown: did they tell you when they'd let you know where you'd be based and do they map out the rotations for you if that makes sense? Or do you find out as the scheme progresses? Thanks again :smile:

I heard in 2 days that I'd got the job. But correspondence since then has been very slow.
They definitely said at least one rotation was in Edinburgh because you have to do a rotation in employment law (or something along those lines) and that role is based in Edinburgh.
They tell you 2 months in advance where you'll be based and they will decide as the scheme progresses where you will go.
So for my first rotation in September I will find out my location in June. :smile:
Reply 11
Great thanks! I hope I can just have the one rotation in Edinburgh - if I get it! Are you pretty much flexible to move around? I moved here after uni so don't really wanna relocate for any more than 6 months. Thanks again for your help, maybe I'll see you in September if I get through this Thursday!
Original post by Samk1
Great thanks! I hope I can just have the one rotation in Edinburgh - if I get it! Are you pretty much flexible to move around? I moved here after uni so don't really wanna relocate for any more than 6 months. Thanks again for your help, maybe I'll see you in September if I get through this Thursday!

I am pretty much flexible I live in Middlesbrough now and go to uni at Durham so regardless I'm going to have to relocate. But my boyfriend is moving with me and he's a graphic designer so he can do freelance work, but ideally we wouldn't want to have to relocate because he wants to get a job.
I think I'd prefer to be Manchester based as that's where my bf went to uni so we've both got friends there and I like it more than Edinburgh- there's just more going on.
But the impression they gave at the AC was most rotations were Edinburgh based. It's a HUGE campus they have there where you'll be for the AC.
Hopefully see you September! Good luck- let me know how it goes! 😊
Reply 13
Sorry to pester you again but I meant to ask - did they retest the logical and numerical etc? I'm out of practice with them so if so it'd be useful to go over some tonight if they do!
Original post by Samk1
Sorry to pester you again but I meant to ask - did they retest the logical and numerical etc? I'm out of practice with them so if so it'd be useful to go over some tonight if they do!

No they didn't- sorry you won't see this in time.
Hi, is anyone attending the AC in Edingburgh on february 20, which is in 4 days?
Original post by candidate02
Hi, is anyone attending the AC in Edingburgh on february 20, which is in 4 days?

Which Scheme?
analysis and business solutions
Original post by candidate02
analysis and business solutions

Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by Sophster101
Hi
The day involved a group discussion about making an app for online banking, then you had to do an individual 10min presentation based upon the group discussion. An interview and then some case study tasks on a computer which required you to respond to emails.
The tasks were all ok actually :smile: just a lot of waiting about in between. There are 12 candidates and 6 assessor and then one person running it all.
No you can't specify your location, and this is something I've found misleading about the scheme. You actually do 4 6month rotations across their locations primarily in Manchester and Edinburgh. So you could end up in Manchester for 6 months then have to move to Edinburgh for a year before going back to Manchester for your final placement. They said they place people based upon the needs of the business (understandable) but I don't think they've made it very clear the way their location works. I was under the impression, when I applied, that I would be given a location (which I could state a preference of) and be based there for 2 years- but that's not the case.
Hope that makes sense!
Good luck :biggrin:

Congratulations on getting the job!!

I've also applied for the HR scheme but I applied slightly late (Mid Jan) but have since passed my telephone interview
After which I got an email saying that HR ACs haven't started yet- which clearly isn't the case lol
Did you receive a similar email before your AC?
I'm trying to gauge whether I actually have a chance of getting to the AC or not :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending