The Student Room Group

edexcel a level

is it possible to get an A* in an individual unit at A2 in for eg. chem bio unit 4/5???? or is there no such thing.. im confused on how they mark the paper
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pondsteps
is it possible to get an A* in an individual unit at A2 in for eg. chem bio unit 4/5???? or is there no such thing.. im confused on how they mark the paper

No, the A* grade is only awarded for the overall qualification not for a unit, though in some examiners mark boundary documents they will show the number of marks needed for 90% of available ums to illustrate the standard required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
No, the A* grade is only awarded for the overall qualification not for a unit, though in some examiners mark boundary documents they will show the number of marks needed for 90% of available ums to illustrate the standard required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh thanks for clarifying... so if i dont get the A* at each unit i wont get an overall A*??
ohh thanks for clarifying... so if i dont get the A* at each unit i wont get an overall A*??

Not sure how you got that from my reply.
You get an A* from old specification uk A levels and from Edexcel international A levels in science by achieving 270 ums from the A2 units and a total of 480 ums overall. You don't need to achieve A* standard in every unit, it's the overall result that determines it.
There are different, opaque rules for CIE IAL.
The new uk Linear A levels will set a grade boundary for the combined result of all exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Not sure how you got that from my reply.
You get an A* from old specification uk A levels and from Edexcel international A levels in science by achieving 270 ums from the A2 units and a total of 480 ums overall. You don't need to achieve A* standard in every unit, it's the overall result that determines it.
There are different, opaque rules for CIE IAL.
The new uk Linear A levels will set a grade boundary for the combined result of all exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh. i got confused when i saw how much u need for A* in the grade boundaries for each unit (i do international edexcel)
oh. i got confused when i saw how much u need for A* in the grade boundaries for each unit (i do international edexcel)

I can see how that would confuse, I tried to explain in my first post that some examiners show the mark needed to achieve 90% ums for the A2 units but that's just for information. The A* isn't awarded at unit level and you don't need to reach that target mark in every unit to get an overall A*. If you over perform in one unit you can afford to drop a few marks in another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest