The Student Room Group

Gcse English Lit Poetry Confilict Unseen Poem

Hi, Im really stuck does anybody know what will be the unseen poem or what the main questions will be ??
Im doing Conflict Poetry for AQA
Also I need help on how to analyse them and remember then does anybody know any ttechniques
I know this isn't very helpful..but i don't think anyone really knows. could be anything for unseen -question will probably be
What is the poet saying about THEME in this poem
and how does poet present his/hers ideas

Im doing conflict to so if you want to swap ideas?!

Original post by Olithe
Hi, Im really stuck does anybody know what will be the unseen poem or what the main questions will be ??
Also I need help on how to analyse them and remember then does anybody know any ttechniques
Reply 2
Try to look for certain words which connote to conflict, war etc
Original post by Olithe

A key thing to remember is the anagram FLIRTS, each letter represents an aspect of the poem and ideally a paragraph of your essay in the exam (assuming the structure is the same for the new spec AQA and you need to compare two from the anthology.)

F: Form, is it a sonnet, a ballad? Are the number of lines significant? etc

L: Language Use, analyse a number of "neon" words and phrases used that have a particularly strong effect on the reader.

I: Imagery; does the poet use similes and/or metaphors for a particular effect? Is natural or artificial imagery used in the descriptive parts of the poem and what's the significance of this?

R: Rhythm and Rhyme; is there a particular syllabic structure to the poem? Is there a rhyme scheme or not? And why are these significant?

T: Tone, what kind of tone does the poem give overall? And why is this significant?

S: Subject; this is essentially the theme of the poem and what it's about, and why this is significant.

If you can do all these you'll get an A or A* dependant on your unseen.
Original post by Connor27
A key thing to remember is the anagram FLIRTS, each letter represents an aspect of the poem and ideally a paragraph of your essay in the exam (assuming the structure is the same for the new spec AQA and you need to compare two from the anthology.)

F: Form, is it a sonnet, a ballad? Are the number of lines significant? etc

L: Language Use, analyse a number of "neon" words and phrases used that have a particularly strong effect on the reader.

I: Imagery; does the poet use similes and/or metaphors for a particular effect? Is natural or artificial imagery used in the descriptive parts of the poem and what's the significance of this?

R: Rhythm and Rhyme; is there a particular syllabic structure to the poem? Is there a rhyme scheme or not? And why are these significant?

T: Tone, what kind of tone does the poem give overall? And why is this significant?

S: Subject; this is essentially the theme of the poem and what it's about, and why this is significant.

If you can do all these you'll get an A or A* dependant on your unseen.

Would you use FLIRT in the PEAs i am confused!
Original post by GeneralGoreeeee
Would you use FLIRT in the PEAs i am confused!

No, you PEE in the FLIRTS.

PEE is the structure of the paragraphs while FLIRTS is the structure of the essay.

Hope that makes sense.
Original post by Connor27
No, you PEE in the FLIRTS.

PEE is the structure of the paragraphs while FLIRTS is the structure of the essay.

Hope that makes sense.

Nope that doesn't sorry
Original post by GeneralGoreeeee
Nope that doesn't sorry

The essay goes like this:

Intro
Paragraph 1: F (PEE)
Paragraph 2: L (PEE)
Paragraph 3: I (PEE)
Paragraph 4: R (PEE)
Paragrpah 5: T (PEE)
Paragraph 6: S (PEE)
Conclusion

PEE just means point, example, explanation, it's just how you write a paragraph in an essay, FLIRTS is a specific way to structure poetry analysis essays, PEE applies to all essay subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest